SportsWrath

"Personal foul... hit on a defenseless receiver..."

Sephiroth

This is the worst rule the league has ever seen. Worse than the "hit zone" on QBs, worse than the "defender drew the lineman to false start."

It's ruining the game. How are safeties supposed to make ANY hit? I saw at least four games today where a db was flagged even though he hit the guy in his gut.

They're calling it if they lead with the helmet to any part of the body on a "defenseless player"

(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:

(1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him; and

(2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body.

http://nflcommunications.com/2011/12/27/definition-of-a-defenseless-player/

I know a lot of kids get taught to lead with their helmet when tackling in school. They simply have to teach everyone to lead with the shoulder, and the best way to learn proper tackling form is to take the equipment away and practice tackling without it.

They're calling it if they lead with the helmet to any part of the body on a "defenseless player"

http://nflcommunications.com/2011/12/27/definition-of-a-defenseless-player/

I know a lot of kids get taught to lead with their helmet when tackling in school. They simply have to teach everyone to lead with the shoulder, and the best way to learn proper tackling form is to take the equipment away and practice tackling without it.

In theory. But when you watch the games, a lot of officiating teams are basically calling any hit that looks like it hurts as a "hit on a defenseless receiver." Guys are catching the ball, taking two steps, and getting a shoulder in the ribs and getting the benefit of a flag at the end.

They almost called it in the Giants game, but picked up the flag. Other crews aren't picking up the flag.

Didn't that get called off?

I mean the one that was on the giants which was ridiculous

Yeah but I saw other games... the Jet game in particular... a WR was running a short out pattern read perfectly by the DB... the guy lets up... LETS UP... then shoulder tackles the guy about as gently as possible... but because he arrived when the ball did he got flagged.

It was ridiculous. That guy should have lit up that fucking WR and not only did he hold back, but he was STILL flagged.

Yeah but I saw other games... the Jet game in particular... a WR was running a short out pattern read perfectly by the DB... the guy lets up... LETS UP... then shoulder tackles the guy about as gently as possible... but because he arrived when the ball did he got flagged.

It was ridiculous. That guy should have lit up that fucking WR and not only did he hold back, but he was STILL flagged.

Right, I agree...it's a really pathetic call.

I mean, do you want the WRs to get a couple more YAC?

It's ridiculous..

I like the rule... it's there to protect players against defenders who want to hurt them when the play is pretty much over... and you know the ball ain't catchable.... The flag against us was picked up... and the rule is there for safety.

I like the rule... it's there to protect players against defenders who want to hurt them when the play is pretty much over... and you know the ball ain't catchable.... The flag against us was picked up... and the rule is there for safety.

The rule includes a QB in the act of throwing, or after a change of possession (INT etc). I agree they should ban tacklers leading with the crown of the helmet but it should apply to all tackles.