SportsWrath

50 Greatest Giants

Nas

In a franchise with so many hall of famers, cracking the top 15 is tremendous. Eli could win another and might not even sneak in at 5. Carson is a bit too high, Rosie Brown is an nfl 75th anniversary team guy (Brown, LT, and Hein are the only giants), he should be four or five. Mel Hein played every down of every game on offense, defense and special teams, and the only lineman to ever win nfl MVP, he won't be passed.

Carson was a monster though, teams feared running up the middle on Carson, almost has much as LT coming from the outside

Carson was a monster though, teams feared running up the middle on Carson, almost has much as LT coming from the outside

I really don't remember it that way. It was more like "why go up against Carson when the rest of the defense is swiss cheese?"

Too young for that era, but from what I've seen from clips of Del Shofner and Dick Lynch, they should be on there if they're not. (Can't seem to see the link properly)

Lynch is there...also some of you youngins who listen to Giants radio might have remembered him...he died what? ...in the early 2000's Gut?

They are and some old timers are rated very high.

1. Lawrence Taylor

2. Emlen Tunnell

3. Mel Hein

4. Harry Carson

5. Sam Huff

6. Roosevelt Brown

7. Michael Strahan

8. Fran Gifford

9. Phil Simms

10. Tiki Barber

Tittle is 12.

People forget Rosey Grier also played for the Giants during their Title years...

I really don't remember it that way. It was more like "why go up against Carson when the rest of the defense is swiss cheese?"

He and Brad van Pelt played the inside LB's once they switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4. But as Fringe pointed out...once you got past Mendenhall in the middle as a DT...there wasn't much there other than van Pelt or Carson...just run around the outside... :P ... or pass them to death... :D . Is Spider Lockhart on this list...guy was one of the best DB's out there in his era.

He and Brad van Pelt played the inside LB's once they switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4. But as Fringe pointed out...once you got past Mendenhall in the middle as a DT...there wasn't much there other than van Pelt or Carson...just run around the outside... :P ... or pass them to death... :D . Is Spider Lockhart on this list...guy was one of the best DB's out there in his era.

agree on spider and rosey. Ron Johnson deserves some love too.

agree on spider and rosey. Ron Johnson deserves some love too.

Damn forgot about him...you are right. Maybe they should have split this up into four eras...like the Egyptian Dynasties... Old Kingdom (Inception of Giants till 50)...first intermediate period; Middle Kingdom (51-63 The Later Title/Playoff years)...second intermediate period (63-80)...The New Kingdom (Playoff Return and First SuperBowl Era 81- 1990)...third intermediate period (90-99)... The Nubian/Kushite Kingdom (Playoff Return and Second Superbowl Era 2000- Present)... Ayup that just about fits the Giants years... :P

I thought Van Pelt stayed outside--Kelly and Carson inside. Danny Lloyd the other outside linebacker before Taylor. I could be wrong, though.

I always remembered those defenses to be pretty stout--just on the field ALL THE TIME. There was one season ('76 maybe?) where it seemed like the offense would score 17 points, and just stop playing. :puke:

BTW, Dick Lynch passed 2008.

I thought Van Pelt stayed outside--Kelly and Carson inside. Danny Lloyd the other outside linebacker before Taylor. I could be wrong, though.

I always remembered those defenses to be pretty stout--just on the field ALL THE TIME. There was one season ('76 maybe?) where it seemed like the offense would score 17 points, and just stop playing. :puke:

You're right...van Pelt stayed outside ... with Kelly and Carson inside....yes they were stout...but they really lacked in coverage and as you say 17 points was the invisible ceiling for those horrible offenses we put out there.

You're right...van Pelt stayed outside ... with Kelly and Carson inside....yes they were stout...but they really lacked in coverage and as you say 17 points was the invisible ceiling for those horrible offenses we put out there.

And thanks for the remembrance of Danny Lloyd...he was in the back of my mind. So at least got to see the third Super Bowl win. :)

And thanks for the remembrance of Danny Lloyd...he was in the back of my mind. So at least got to see the third Super Bowl win. :)

No problem--I heard so many times that Taylor was the reason we switched to a 3-4, that I thought I was just forgetting. As I remembered it, switching had more to do with the loss of Troy Archer, decline of Mendenhall, and the emergence of Lloyd.

Heh, I was wrong, too. Kelley stayed outside in 1979, with Lloyd on the inside. Then Lloyd got Hodgkins disease, which he survived, but ended his career.

To this day I wonder how that defense would have done with something resembling an offense. True, we had Simms by then, but nothing else--and I mean that literally. I mean, look at this roster. The only ones even worthy of the word mediocre (outside of Simms) was Benson and Earnest Gray--and Benson was terrible early on.

BTW, that defensive backfield doesn't seem that terrible to me. Of course, I was a kid back then, and a complete Giants fanatic.

No problem--I heard so many times that Taylor was the reason we switched to a 3-4, that I thought I was just forgetting. As I remembered it, switching had more to do with the loss of Troy Archer, decline of Mendenhall, and the emergence of Lloyd.

Heh, I was wrong, too. Kelley stayed outside in 1979, with Lloyd on the inside. Then Lloyd got Hodgkins disease, which he survived, but ended his career.

To this day I wonder how that defense would have done with something resembling an offense. True, we had Simms by then, but nothing else--and I mean that literally. I mean, look at this roster. The only ones even worthy of the word mediocre (outside of Simms) was Benson and Earnest Gray--and Benson was terrible early on.

BTW, that defensive backfield doesn't seem that terrible to me. Of course, I was a kid back then, and a complete Giants fanatic.

Yes I still cry about the tragedy of the loss of Troy Archer...the guy would have been as good as Reggie White if he had not died so tragically in that car accident. And you're right we did switch because our strength went from the D-line back to the LB's.

Pretty poor roster. I'd forgotten we had Todd Christiansen for a year. He went on to some stardom at Oakland.

Fuck that's right.... Sweet Jeebus...if we only had all of the cogs together at one time during the 70's we might have come out of the wilderness years sooner.

lol, much respect to you guys.. I'm not that far behind. It just gets weird when I read names I never heard of. T, I'm from Brooklyn... "where Brooklyn at".. "I got 7 mack 11s, nine 9s, 10 mack 10s" lol.