SportsWrath

Panthers @ Eagles

Balloonknot

So you are the one who's to judge Reid's family life? Good to know. Personally I can't speak to what was going on in his family because I'm not in it, nor have I lived it. Maybe that's just how I roll.

Just calling it as I see it and basing my opinion on how I'd react if I had been him. I'd have thrown the coaching job away in a heartbeat the second I knew my kids were struggling with drugs to ensure they were safe, knowing full well that the job would keep me from doing what was most important to me.

Understand, I do claim it as an opinion based on the information I'm given. My opinion could be influenced should additional information be provided me.

Just calling it as I see it and basing my opinion on how I'd react if I had been him. I'd have thrown the coaching job away in a heartbeat the second I knew my kids were struggling with drugs to ensure they were safe, knowing full well that the job would keep me from doing what was most important to me.

Understand, I do claim it as an opinion based on the information I'm given. My opinion could be influenced should additional information be provided me.

Fair enough, but I don't think anyone knows the details about their family issues but the Reids. I remember when Tony Dungy's son hanged himself nobody blamed Tony. His son's suicide letter laid it down squarely on Tony's shoulders too. Everyone cut slack for Tony and stated it was a tragic loss, but not for Andy. I have two kids and both are a handful. It's not always as cut and dry as spending time with your kid. Sometimes it takes a while for the kid to come around. It was that way with my son and what turned him around was turning my back on him. Tough love. Hardest thing I ever had to do, but it was the best thing I ever did for him and he has since thanked me for it. Unfortunately in life... Things aren't always black and white. In fact I'd say there's more gray area than anything.

Fair enough, but I don't think anyone knows the details about their family issues but the Reids. I remember when Tony Dungy's son hanged himself nobody blamed Tony. His son's suicide letter laid it down squarely on Tony's shoulders too. Everyone cut slack for Tony and stated it was a tragic loss, but not for Andy. I have two kids and both are a handful. It's not always as cut and dry as spending time with your kid. Sometimes it takes a while for the kid to come around. It was that way with my son and what turned him around was turning my back on him. Tough love. Hardest thing I ever had to do, but it was the best thing I ever did for him and he has since thanked me for it. Unfortunately in life... Things aren't always black and white. In fact I'd say there's more gray area than anything.

No, not every situation is the same...I'll agree there. But I think that the repeated drug use, the problems with the law as a result, and ultimately the death...on some level, were a cry for attention. And if that's the case, you have to look where additional attention could have been found/provided. Sure, they may have gotten mixed up with the wrong crowd or they may have had a personality prone to addiction or whatnot. But once that trend started, I just don't know how you don't devote more time to that than you would your job. Why you wouldn't be there with your son to limit his contact with the wrong crowd...guide him in the right direction and say to hell with football for a year or two. As for Tony, I'd say the exact same thing. Sure, he comes off as more of a family man than Reid and he wears his religion on his sleeve a bit...but I'd argue that he made the same mistakes that Reid did.

I'm not going to say all coaches need to spend more time with their kids because these tragedies have more than one reason behind them, but I think that they need to be made very aware that a consequence of their lack of time at home and a perceived lack of interest in their children can at least in part lead to awful situations.

I love my 3 more than my job and you can best bet that my actions (would) back that.

No, not every situation is the same...I'll agree there. But I think that the repeated drug use, the problems with the law as a result, and ultimately the death...on some level, were a cry for attention. And if that's the case, you have to look where additional attention could have been found/provided. Sure, they may have gotten mixed up with the wrong crowd or they may have had a personality prone to addiction or whatnot. But once that trend started, I just don't know how you don't devote more time to that than you would your job. Why you wouldn't be there with your son to limit his contact with the wrong crowd...guide him in the right direction and say to hell with football for a year or two. As for Tony, I'd say the exact same thing. Sure, he comes off as more of a family man than Reid and he wears his religion on his sleeve a bit...but I'd argue that he made the same mistakes that Reid did.

I'm not going to say all coaches need to spend more time with their kids because these tragedies have more than one reason behind them, but I think that they need to be made very aware that a consequence of their lack of time at home and a perceived lack of interest in their children can at least in part lead to awful situations.

I love my 3 more than my job and you can best bet that my actions (would) back that.

He was the weight coach when he died man. I'm pretty sure Andy was doing all he could to save the boy and be involved in his life. But again... I wasn't there. So I can't judge.

So is skipping out on your children when their actions cry out for more attention. Reid couldn't even stick around for the funeral for more than a day before he had to get back to what he's proven to all to have loved more than anything, his family included...his so-called dynasty...his dream team. To me, Reid's a piece of shit who doesn't catch half the flack that he should.

I have always found Reid to be overrated. I believe wholeheartedly, that the Philadelphia Eagles would have been better off had Reid got cancer and died than Jim Johnson.

Lots of class in the post...all of it low.

Wooaahhh...cruel man but I do believe Johnson was covering Reid's ineptitude. Now the team is showing what an unmasking of Reid is. Also throwing Castillo under the bus to save his own ass is straight from the Billick playbook.

Let's not get started with Fassel and his BFF Brian...so much of best friend that I totally threw out my winning gameplan that destroyed the Vikes and totally change things up so that my BFF Brian can pack my turd hole with his pud. Hire me and then fire me like a crack whore.

He was the weight coach when he died man. I'm pretty sure Andy was doing all he could to save the boy and be involved in his life. But again... I wasn't there. So I can't judge.

It was a step in the right direction, but I have to believe that for most, when they reach their late 20s, they can already see where their parent's priorities lie and the fact that Reid wanted to bring his son to the team as opposed to leaving the team for his son speaks volumes as to whether or not Andy was willing to change his priorities. I think Reid was doing everything he could right up until it meant leaving the team for his family.

I had a dad who worked non-stop. He was the prototypical breadwinner and disciplinarian. Never came to my games. Never went to teacher conferences. But he was quick the yell when we were misbehaving. It honestly felt growing up that I was some sort of consolation prize he gave to my mom, who actually wanted children, in exchange for something he got. It doesn't instill much worth in the child.

Now, I've grown out of that line of thinking, but only now, over the past 2 or 3 years (I'm mid 30's) after having discussions with my parents and siblings. I view it now as my dad having wanted to be a part of my life, but couldn't because he was too busy providing for me and the family to do the things we were doing.

But that doesn't change the hurt that I experienced and the feelings of not being loved, wanted, or cared about by someone who most certainly should show that more frequently.

In Reid's situation, I can't help but think that the situation was substantially magnified.

Lots of class in the post...all of it low.

Being critical of how a father fathers their child, especially after their child has died from self inflicted actions is far from low class. Rather, I'd view it as responsible so as not to make the same mistakes myself with my own children. It's learning from not only your own mistakes, but from the mistakes of others.

If you're referring to my comment about Jim Johnson and his dealing with cancer....shall I sugarcoat it by saying that I think Jim Johnson was more responsible for the success the Eagles experienced than was Reid? Would that make you feel better? I'm certainly not wishing cancer on anyone here. Simply saying that had Jim Johnson been able to coach longer and Andy Reid less, it would have benefitted the Eagles as a team.