SportsWrath

Round 2

NJ Panther

While I'm admittedly getting ahead of myself, a Canes-Devils series will be nothing short of outstanding. Living in Raleigh I've seen a lot of Carolina hockey this year. The Canes can play with anyone. Of course this time of year goaltending is what gets you to the next round and I've got to give the Devils the edge there. Cam Ward has been sensational in relief of Martin Gerber. Part of me is nervous his luck will run out, the other part of me thinks he is this years playoff goalie. Seems like every year there's one goalie that takes the playoffs by surprise. Think of Guy Hebert for Anaheim, Kiprusoff of Calgary, and Lalime, back when he was a Penguin. Hopefully Ward is that guy.

i think the devils will be fine...their at like a 15 day winning streak...and yea after what they did to the rangers

I'm willing to bet that winning streak doesn't reach 19 straight.

I'm willing to bet that winning streak doesn't reach 19 straight.

The worst thing for a red hot team is to take an extended break. It's

like a coach in football calling a timeout to "ice" the opposing kicker.

Plus it's hard not to think of 2002 when they got eliminated by Carolina

in 5 games. Still I think they're very confident now and they just need

to keep playing how they've been playing. Opportunistic offense and

stingy smothering defense. I've watched most of the Devils games

this season, and haven't seen Carolina play at all so it's hard for me

to judge how it will go down. Keeping my fingers crossed.

We suck but what does that say about the team we just swept???

It says you never ever have beaten the Messier teams of the mid 90s, you know the ones with more playoff experience!...you only beat a young inexperienced Rangers team which ironically reminded me of the early 90s Devils teams prior to their successful cup runs. I give credit, Devils took full advantage of this Rangers squad...but I expected them to, but don't be all proud or anything...you were supposed to beat the Rangers...Rangers underachieved and from watching them all season and comparing the playoff games to the regular season team...this was not the same team that thrashed Ottawa 5-1 or destroyed Philly 6-2 or beat Buffalo or Carolina at their own game. Its a shame the Olympics had to happen otherwise who knows...

Good luck in the playoffs but I hope you guys are swept. :P

We suck but what does that say about the team we just swept???

It simply says we made you look alot better than you really are.

Which was again proven tonight when your team unraveled in the 3'rd period down a goal, BTW what do you guys think of Gionta with his hack job on every Cane that came near him? Can't play against the big boys in the playoffs so he should respond with slashing? Sounds like a bitch move to me, cry on little man... cry on.

One or two more things to chew on;

Blame it on the opponent, the large pockets of empty seats in the second deck :LMAO: (and to think that my tax money is going toward an arena that won't be full for the regular season or playoffs..... I don't know who is more foolish, me for paying the taxes or the state & city of Newark for giving the Devils ownership a new arena), and the uneasiness of the fans who have grown familiar with seeing New Jersey ahead in playoffs instead of in trouble.

It didn't take much or long to return the building to serenity. Cullen and Williams struck twice 1:51 apart to turn the Devils' lead into a sudden deficit. The most noise that spilled out of the seats came from those yelling at Devils defenseman Richard Matvichuk (better known as Matvisuck), who played a negative role in both goals.

The Devils hope to recieve a boost with the return of Colin White to the lineup, the team's #1 defenseman has missed the past 5 games with a groin injury.

#1 defenseman, you gotta be kidding me.... he is nothing more than an undisciplined goon. I'd consider Rafalski a better defenseman than White who seems to be able to do nothing more than throw the occasional big hit, be caught out of position numerous times & take untimely, undisciplined penalties (see the hit on Recchi that lead to the Canes getting the offense back in order)..... while we are on the subject of undisciplined play (something that must really frost Lamoriello's ass) how about Langenbrunner...... a double minor that leads to the winning goal??? Real "Devil-like" if you ask me!

Canes 3 Devils 0 :LMAO::LMAO:

Which was again proven tonight when your team unraveled in the 3'rd period down a goal, BTW what do you guys think of Gionta with his hack job on every Cane that came near him? Can't play against the big boys in the playoffs so he should respond with slashing? Sounds like a bitch move to me, cry on little man... cry on.

One or two more things to chew on;

#1 defenseman, you gotta be kidding me.... he is nothing more than an undisciplined goon. I'd consider Rafalski a better defenseman than White who seems to be able to do nothing more than throw the occasional big hit, be caught out of position numerous times & take untimely, undisciplined penalties (see the hit on Recchi that lead to the Canes getting the offense back in order)..... while we are on the subject of undisciplined play (something that must really frost Lamoriello's ass) how about Langenbrunner...... a double minor that leads to the winning goal??? Real "Devil-like" if you ask me!

Canes 3 Devils 0 :LMAO::LMAO:

I had a stunad on another board try to tell me the reason the Devils lost was the refs!!!!!!

Yeah ... like Cullen bit his lip to draw the double minor! I'm sure it had nothing to do with Langenbrunner feeding his stick to him!

Go Canes!

C'mon Panther...... you were just here a minute ago!

No witty retort?

Nothing to add?

OK, I'll do it for you;

Mark Everson at the NY Post writes:

To make a miracle, they'd have to stop making defensive blunders, the stuff Ken Daneyko and Scott Stevens wouldn't have done. They'll have to score more than two per game, which they haven't done in this series. And Martin Brodeur will have to stop everything he should, and everything he shouldn't. So far, he hasn't.

Last night, Matvichuk was beaten once for a goal and later failed to clear the puck correctly, resulting in another goal. Mike Kerwick at the Asbury Park Press even wrote that he was the Devils' "Achilles heel" last night.

57a0e8aa-94fb-4c33-aa8c-7d942666f74.jpg

Familiar sight Devils fans? Matvisuck a day late & a dollar short again, you know wasn't he in this picture too:

ERA10310270233.jpg

you know, where Martin "Don't touch me!" Brodeur got hurt..... maybe it isn't a great idea leting this guy on the ice while Eric Staal is out there.... what do you think?

But on the other end, the Devils were again only able to get on the scoreboard twice; and the bottom line is that in the new NHL, you are not going to win many games with just two goals. Lou even tried different lines, switching Elias and Parise between the 1st and 2nd lines to reunite the Gomez-Gionta-Elias line. The combination did not pay off, and the offense still sputtered except during a power play midway through the 2nd period when Elias scored on a one-timer. Brylin also got on the scoreboard early in the first period.

In particular, Gionta, who had a franchise-record-setting 48 goals this year, has pulled a disappearing act this series, with zero goals or assists in these first three games.

He's too busy slashing everyone who he clearly can't play against, ohhh you took the puck away from me I'm going to pull the bitch move & slash you!!!!! Pussy, where are those oh so stellar hands of yours? What about that phenomenal skating ability? All for nothing since you clearly have quit & are now just trying to injure people.

How did that happen? Very simply. The Hurricanes defense has been incredibly effective at keeping Gionta, Gomez and Parise (average weight/height: 5 foot 9, 185 pounds) from getting quality shots on Ward. As a result, Ward has had a clear line of sight on the few shots that are sent his way and has been very good at avoiding mistakes.

Easy to push these little guys around since they are so soft to begin with!

Right now, Hurricanes want to win more

By E.J. Hradek

ESPN The Magazine

Archive

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Two Saturdays ago, the Devils were the ones holding the broom.

This Saturday, they could find themselves in the dustpan.

In the home locker room, after Wednesday night's 3-2 Game 3 loss to the Hurricanes, the Devils looked despondent. They knew exactly where they were in the series. And they didn't like it.

They sat quietly, half dressed, wondering where all that good karma had gone. They came into this Eastern Conference semifinal series with a 15-game winning streak. Now, just five days into it, they're dealing with another kind of run. They've lost three in a row. If it goes four, they'll have all summer to try to figure out what went wrong.

Of course, the answer to that question might be as simple as: the Hurricanes are better.

"It's no accident that they finished second in the East," Devils left winger Patrik Elias said. "They've got a good, fast, competitive club."

If the Hurricanes aren't better, they're definitely working harder. From the opening faceoff of the series, the Hurricanes have been quicker to the puck. They haven't hesitated to drive the net. And, if they just happened to slam into Martin Brodeur, so much the better. To this point, the Devils haven't answered the challenge.

Oh no don't touch our goaltender.... too bad he doesn't have anyone in front of him willing to make anyone pay for getting in the goal crease.... saw Stevens watching the game from ice level last night being interviewed on OLN, too bad your best defenseman in franchise history now wears a suit & tie.

Still, on Wednesday, the Devils talked about bounces. They talked about the game-winning, power-play goal that pin-balled off three different players en route to the net.

"Sometimes you can't catch a break," lamented Devils center Scott Gomez.

And sometimes little bitch-boys like Gomez, Gionta & Parise (Hey Panther I thought that you said he would win Rookie of the Year?? Devils fans got a little full of themselves saying he was beter than Crosby, never mind Ovechkin, Lundqvist, Prucha & others) just quit & resort to hack tactics.

"The puck hit three different people," said Devils GM/head coach Lou Lamoriello, speaking about the game-winner. "What can you say?"

Some would say that you make your breaks (and bounces) in sports. In the first three games of this series, the Devils haven't really deserved too many good bounces.

They did get a great bounce in the final 20 seconds of Game 2 in Raleigh, where Zach Parise's slapper deflected off Gomez's stick and two posts before dropping over the goal line behind Hurricanes goalie Cam Ward. That bounce should have been enough to even the series.

But the Devils couldn't handle their good fortune.

Now, the Devils are facing elimination. And, they're way too smart not to know what they're up against.

"We're in a pretty big hole," said Brodeur, who was fooled by Matt Cullen's first-period backhander that tied the game, 1-1, at the 8:16 mark of the first period. "Tonight, we had a good opportunity to get back into it."

But they didn't. They didn't skate hard enough. They didn't hit hard enough. And, in a game that came down to a bounce, they didn't work hard enough to get that break.

That's right they didn't work hard..... they quit, just like their old coach Larry Robinson. Oh the stress is too much..... bitch.

So, they're left with the usual clichés.

"We have to take it one game at a time."

"Saturday is our Game 7."

"We just need to get a win."

As you went around the Devils' room, you heard every single cliché associated with a 3-0 series deficit.

In the minutes after such a disappointing loss, the Devils weren't ready to accept the truth: The Hurricanes want it more than they do. At least, that's the truth through three games.

Of course the Canes want it more, this is a Devils team with no captian, no leader, not even bringing Terrible Lou down from his skybox can right this ship.

As the dressing room emptied out, one reporter asked Devils center John Madden if he thought he and his teammates were up for the challenge of a dramatic comeback.

"We'll find out Saturday," Madden said.

Sounds like a quitter to me. :LMAO:

If they aren't, they'll find out what the other end of the broom feels like.

Canes for the sweep on Saturday, I wonder what kind of pussy, bitch moves the Devil players will try knowing their season is slipping away? Will they pull the "Bernie Nichols" & wind up for a slap shot at the opposing forechecker like they did in Game 6 of 1994? Or will it be the patented "Rafalski hit from behind" where he waits for a guy to get about 4 feet from the boards & then cross checks him in the back driving him face first into the dasher? Perhaps what will cost them in the end will be the "Colin White" where he takes another untimely penalty that leads to a game winner? Or the greatest of all, the "Brian Gionta" where the midget takes a page out of Dale Hunter's book & breaks someones arm out of reprisal from gettting beat to the puck? :LMAO:

742ea257-3449-46bf-86ee-e6a24ced541.jpg

Brodeur Own3d again!

C'mon Panther.... nothing at all to contribute?

Kinda like the Devils "Wonder Boys" Gionta, Gomez & Co; you just gotta "wonder" where they are, what they are doing, ect.

:LMAO::LMAO:

All your bs is real funny but it just shows how bad your team is. If the Canes get beat next round should I go make fun of Canes fans or will that make me look like a moron?