SportsWrath

Opinion's from Hound / Pizan and Money !!!!

Martin

yea man, Im out for now but its vsalvatore21.

Ok, each year me and some guys from the board (pretty much the members of our fantasy baseball league) have a draft day chat room. If your around on Saturday, sign on and I'll send you an invite.

Martin, I would tend to agree with the majority of what Money said. I think right now the best choice is Gabe Watson in the first. Although his work ethic scares the shit out of me, I think he has the best potential out of anyone who has the chance to be there at #25. Like Money said we are in position to "swing for the fences" and Watson is the epitome of that. With that said even if Watson is drafted, I could see us drafting another DT at some point during the draft or signing a FA.

In regards to Jackson or any other free agent DT, I think that depends on the draft. Although likely Its not a given that Gabe Watson is available at 25. We could also decide to go a different direction when we do draft at 25 or when we draft a DT. If that happens to be the case Jackson would be a good choice to play as our nose tackle. I would feel more comfortable with him then Buckner even if Jackson failed a physical.

Now Jackson would be nice to have but unless Strahan and Toomer restructure, which was being reported a week or so ago, we will have trouble signing him. We are currently around 3 million in available cap space and still would like to sign a vet. QB, possibly a WR like Proehl, as well as signing our draft choices. So getting a 2 gap tackle at some point in the draft should be a focal point like Money said.

If we decide to go WR in the 1st or if the oppotunity presents itself and we trade down while missing out on Watson, I dont think we are doomed or anything like that. Wroten, Wright, or Dvoracek in the 2nd would help, I think each can contribute if called upon. There is also second day prospects that would be nice selections if we decided to go with 2 tackles in the draft. 4th round prospects like Le Kevin Smith and Montavious Stanley, 5th round prospects like Domata Peko, Tommy Jackson, or Steve Fifita.

Pizan,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the depth of your post.

It seems like if we cant get a high level DT (watson) than the posibility

of picking up a quality DT in the later rounds still exsists and maybe

a FA signing in Jackson is still and option.

I will be interested in reading your take on Monday after the draft.

Pizan,

You can stand up now.

Hound, are you back for the draft-day chat this year?

Send me the invite. I'll be home all day but I'll be in an out during the draft. My son, future Offensive Lineman for the Giants, will be christened this weekend. I've got a lot of family coming into town and the party is Saturday. I'll have the draft on but I'll also be entertaining about 30 people as well as putting on a display in backyard barbecue and horseshoes.

The f'n NFL moved the draft back a week this year without consulting me. I had the option of dipping young Riley last weekend but at the time thought ... April 22nd weekend? No way, that's the draft, let's do it the next weekend. :doh:

So basically, most of my commentary will come after the fact. I'll be thinking of you guys.

Fortunately for the Giants, their current LB Coach, Bill Sheridan, was Watson's position coach at Michigan for 3 years. If anyone has added insight into whether or not Watson is coachable and thus worthy of the investment, it's Coach Sheridan. Thus, I trust the organization to make the right decision.

good info thanks!

Just my .02 but having seen a bunch of NC State games live I can tell you that McCargo did very little to stand out when I saw him. Having Lawson and Williams on either side gave him much more opprotunity to shine than the other way around. I'm not high on the guy.

Hey Hound, any opinions on ILB Oliver Hoyte from NC State. I know he didn't have a great combine, and he was able to play in back of that great D-line, but you can't teach a guy to hit like that.

Ok, each year me and some guys from the board (pretty much the members of our fantasy baseball league) have a draft day chat room. If your around on Saturday, sign on and I'll send you an invite.

yea alright, I should be around.

Pizan,

Hey no problem Martin. Enjoy your weekend bro.

This is a point I just thought of with Gabe. We don't need him to be a guy who can get us 8 sacks and be a tackling machine. He's basically going to take up the role of NT even though it's a 4-3. Just take up some blockers and be a legitimate threat so we can free up even more Lavar, Pierce, Osi, and Strahan. We wouldn't need the stat production, we would need him to take up some blockers. And I think Gabe could be that guy.

it doesnt cost anything to be nice! :confused:

but if you like I will be a real prick to you. :ph34r:

deal ? :TU:

Nah, Martin it's ok. I actually appreciate the kindness that you show towards the members of the board. I just thought that last post went a tiny bit overboard. I was just joking... no harm meant by it.

Nah, Martin it's ok. I actually appreciate the kindness that you show towards the members of the board. I just thought that last post went a tiny bit overboard. I was just joking... no harm meant by it.

I am trying to be the anti FAB 4 and show

compassion for my fellow Giants fan.

Lets see how long my niceness lasts! :drool:

This is a point I just thought of with Gabe. We don't need him to be a guy who can get us 8 sacks and be a tackling machine. He's basically going to take up the role of NT even though it's a 4-3. Just take up some blockers and be a legitimate threat so we can free up even more Lavar, Pierce, Osi, and Strahan. We wouldn't need the stat production, we would need him to take up some blockers. And I think Gabe could be that guy.

The argument against Gabe -- outside of his motivational issues -- is that the Giants can find someone to handle the role you described with lower picks (i.e. Oshinowo, Le Kevin Smith, Tommy Jackson) and get more of an impact player at 25...

The argument against Gabe -- outside of his motivational issues -- is that the Giants can find someone to handle the role you described with lower picks (i.e. Oshinowo, Le Kevin Smith, Tommy Jackson) and get more of an impact player at 25...

Except we get the potential that he has and the possibility of being more then just a space eater.

Personally, I'm not for drafting DTs in the first but in this draft there are exceptions such as Ngata and Bunkley. I like Gabe, but if we have other guys we like available, I would rather one of them. Still, I wouldn't mind that much a pick such as Watson.

Except we get the potential that he has and the possibility of being more then just a space eater.

Personally, I'm not for drafting DTs in the first but in this draft there are exceptions such as Ngata and Bunkley. I like Gabe, but if we have other guys we like available, I would rather one of them. Still, I wouldn't mind that much a pick such as Watson.

Bobby Carpenter

Antonio Cromartie

Deangelo Williams

Demeco Ryans

Manny Lawson(athletic enough to play SAM in a 4-3 defense)

Chad Jackson

Santonio Holmes

Donte Whitner

If all those guys happen to be off the boards at that time.....than I could live with Gabe Watson

Bobby Carpenter

Antonio Cromartie

Deangelo Williams

Demeco Ryans

Manny Lawson(athletic enough to play SAM in a 4-3 defense)

Chad Jackson

Santonio Holmes

Donte Whitner

If all those guys happen to be off the boards at that time.....than I could live with Gabe Watson

Me too. Except for Whitner. I like him a lot but we have two young safeties who both have nice potential and can certainly play in the NFL. If he was the only guy that fell, then I'd take Watson instead of Whitner. But Whitner's not falling to our slot.

Me too. Except for Whitner. I like him a lot but we have two young safeties who both have nice potential and can certainly play in the NFL. If he was the only guy that fell, then I'd take Watson instead of Whitner. But Whitner's not falling to our slot.

ehhh....I think Demps is about as good now as he is going to get....Wouldnt be dissapointed if Whitner was drafted...but like you said....he isn't falling to us

You must have missed Hounds, Moneys, and my posts.