SportsWrath

Separate thread to discuss players in for visit

BleedinBlue

I already posted this on another thread that was dealing with a different subject so I'm starting this thread for discussion purposes. Also, another player has been added (CB Dre Kirkpatrick - not sure why as he'll be long gone by 32) and each team is allowed up to 30 player visits so this list is not inclusive. History shows us that many players the Giants call in for a visit tend to be drafted.....especially those drafted after the second round.

Apparantly, the Giants do not want this information out according to a couple of sites I've perused, but in the day of the internet, that's pretty much an impossible task. Like Mark Twain once said, "two people can keep a secret as long as one of them is dead". Nothing makes a rumor spread faster than to preclude the statement, "you can't tell anyone this, but ____".

Regardless....the list (will upgrade if more information comes in):

1 - Matt Simms – QB from Tennessee

2 - Austin Davis- QB from Southern Miss

3 - Cyrus Gray - RB from Texas A&M\

4 - Michael Smith - RB from Utah State

5 - Kendall Wright -WR from Baylor

6 - Mohamed Sanu -WR from Rutgers

7 - Rueben Randle – WR from LSU

8 - Devon Wylie – WR from Fresno State

9 - Jake Byrne -TE from Wisconsin

10 - Adam Nissley -TE from Central Florida

11 - Adrien Robinson- TE from Cincinnati

25 - Dwayne Allen - TE from Clemson (added 4/24)

12 - Donald Stephenson- OT from Oklahoma

13 - James Carmon- OT/OG from Mississippi State

14 - Ronnie Cameron- DT from Old Dominion

15 - Josue Ortiz -DE from Harvard

16 - Dont’a Hightower- LB from Alabama

17 - Matt Broha -LB from Louisiana Tech

18 - Ryan Davis -LB from Bethune-Cookman

19 - Korey Toomer -LB from Idaho

20 - Tahir Whitehead- LB from Temple

21 - Omar Bolden -CB from Arizona State

22 - Dre Kirkpatrick - CB from Alabama (added 4/23)

23 - Jerron McMillian- S from Maine

24 - Matt Daniels -S from Duke

The unheralded RB's and TE's they are bringing in might make you think that they either don't think Martin or Fleener will be there at 32 or they are more inclined to go with a player at another position. I think Reuben Randle is not likely to slip to #63, could he be a target at #32? I am a big Randle fan. Also Dre Kirkpatrick... another guy that is unlikely to even last until #32, I'm a big fan of his as well.

Dont'a Hightower I am pretty lukewarm on. I don't see him as a 3 down linebacker in the NFL, and therefore, how can you use a 1st on a guy that isn't going to play in the nickel? Sanu could be a target in the back end of the 2nd, same with Kendall Wright, who I am off of, like bigblue25.

If you look at the strict numbers of certain position groups that they brought in for visits, you have to believe that TE, WR, and LB are positions that they might look to in the draft. I think it's curious that three of the four receivers brought in for visits are considered early round talents: Randle, Sanu, and Wright. Could be an indication that part of their draft strategy is to grab a receiver if he's there in one of the first two rounds.

I think one of the more impressive guys I've looked at is Reuben Randle. I don't want to go on and on, but I'm very high on this and though I'm not necessarily rooting for a receiver in the first 2 rounds, I would be pretty pumped if he was a pick, particularly if he slipped to #63.

Bleedin', have you done any research on Devon Wylie from Fresno State? This guy is small, a Jernigan type, but he still lifted the bar 17 times at the combine, pretty impressive strength for a smaller dude. That was tied for 13th among all receivers on the bench. He also ran a 4.39 40' time, which was 4th at the combine, had a 39" vert (6th), and a 10'3" broad jump (10th). The knock on him was only 700 yards on 56 catches receiving his senior year, not overly productive, just 1 TD receiving, but is a dangerous punt returner, had 2 punt returns for TD's.

A lot of Wylie's production came in just 2 games... LA Tech and Nevada, where he put up over 250 yards in those two games. Some games, he just wasn't impactful at all.

We've talked about Cyrus Gray already. I know you like him. I'm neither hot nor cold on him. I see the potential but I'm not sure he'll really be a lead back in the NFL.

I like Randle alot as well and have no problem whatsoever taking a WR early. I doubt Randle will be around by the time the Giants take their second pick. But of course, stranger things have happened.

Here's an article about the Giants eye-balling TE Dwayne Allen (who I added to the "visit list" bringing the total to 25 visits thus far).

I have no real feelings one way or the other here, but an interesting read and relevant since Giants had him in for a visit. This article calls him 6'4", but other boards list him at 6'3", which is my only hangup because I like big huge TE's and this guy sounds a little like a "tweener"....ala, Beckum. But who knows. Anyway:

"If the NY Giants opt to select a tight end in the 2012 draft, then Clemson's Dwayne Allen is the better choice over Stanford star Coby Fleener. Many mocks have the Giants taking a TE early and with Jake Ballard and Travis Beckum facing lengthy spells on the sidelines, it is a smart pick.

Yet Fleener would be the wrong option for the G-Men. The Giants may be tempted by his downfield playmaking potential, as a way of compensating for the loss of Mario Manningham. However, Allen has the superior all-round skill set to the suit the requirements of Big Blue's offense.

The Giants offense has been based around not only Kevin Gilbride's run-and-shoot background, but also the Perkins/Erhardt philosophy Tom Coughlin learned as a Big Blue assistant in 1990. That system requires a traditional, multi-use tight end who is comfortable as a blocker and short-range pass catcher.

At 6'4" and 255 pounds, Allen has classic tight end size. He is a technically superior blocker to Fleener, and would help improve upon a 32nd-ranked rush attack in 2011. The Giants still run a power-based ground game and need a tight end able to seal the corner and drive defenders off the ball on sweep plays.

As a receiver, Allen is blessed with excellent, reliable hands and is very effective in underneath areas, thanks to intelligent route running. He is particularly adept at releasing late off and through the line of scrimmage on screen plays.

The Giants pass offense contains principles of the run-and-shoot schemes Kevin Gilbride ran in his early years as a coach. One of the key plays brought over by Gilbride is the middle screen.

Allen can be a dangerous weapon on this kind of screen design. His knack for throwing a block and then deftly drifting into space can also be an asset in the play-action game.

While he lacks true vertical speed, Allen is a natural outlet underneath that Eli would certainly be grateful to have over the course of the season. With Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz running vertical routes, Allen will be free to work the shallow, intermediate zones.

The
Star Ledger rec
ently reported that Allen visited with the Giants and suggests that he could be available to the defending Super Bowl Champions in the second-round. That would leave the G-Men free to use their first rounder to pick a linebacker, third wide receiver or an offensive lineman.

By waiting for Allen, the Giants would also get a more scheme-suitable and every-down tight end, who could be useful in multiple ways."

Two guys I see on as potentially available at #32 are WR's Randle and Wright. Hightower and Kirkpatrick probably won't be around, but maybe the giants are thinking of trading up.

Another interesting tidbit is three of those four TE prospects are all considered solid blocking TEs (could be good value for later rounds).

Also, I haven't seen this guy play, but his profile sounds intriguing - projected to go in the later rounds.

Jerron McMillian S Maine, 5'11 215, 4.42 40

Biography: Three-year starter awarded all-conference honors since his junior season and named to numerous All-American teams last year. Senior totals included 92 tackles/1 interceptions/5 pass breakups and 11.5 tackles for loss. Junior numbers included 58 tackles and a team-leading six pass breakups.

Positives: Explosive safety with nice size. Fast moving in every area of the field, takes good angles to the action and works hard to make plays. Has an explosive nature to his game, effectively patrols center field and plays with an aggressive attitude. Quick up the field to defend the run and is a solid open-field tackler. Displays good range moving sideline to sideline and is fast getting outside the numbers to make plays.

Negatives: Average ball skills. Displays marginal quickness driving to the ball out of his plant.

Analysis: McMillian is a terrific run-defending safety who's also displays the athleticism and movement skills necessary to cover the pass in centerfield. He must polish his technique yet offers upside and could surprise in the NFL.

Rueben Randle:

Couple of good things in this video. The 'Bama game is from 2010, but the last play of the video (3:13) he shows some moves to get some YAC, and once he sees all he can get, he falls down to avoid the big hit. He's also abusing some pretty damn good defensive backs.

I also noticed he gets the ball tucked away pretty quick after the catch. Against Arkansas:

Auburn and Mississippi St:

2011 Stats: 53 catches, 917 yards, 8 TD's

Interesting that there are only two bonefide first round picks in the list - LB Dont'e Hightower and CB Dre Kirkpatrick. Makes me wonder if the front office thinks they will slip that far or if it's a ruse to throw other teams off their real targets.

A good article about the strategy brought up by Carl Banks about grabbing a solid player at a position that is already stocked (if not overstocked)

In 1984, with the #3 overall pick in the NFL draft and with Hall of Fame Linebackers Lawrence Taylor and Harry Carson, as well as good prospects like Andy Headen and Byron Hunt already on the roster, the Giants went ahead and took Carl Banks with their unusually high pick. The Giants didn't have a linebacker problem on the horizon, but Banks was by their judgement the BPA, and they had nothing against making a great unit even greater. In the 4th round that year they took Gary Reasons, which gave them the 4th piece to the unit that would win Superbowl 21. Adding more talent to already great talent put them over the top in two years.

We could have called it, Lawrence Taylor theory, since the Giants had Carson, Van Pelt, Kelly, Lloyd and Marion already when they picked LT. Of course, that's not just BPA, that may have been a BPE pick. In other words, if arguably the best player ever is available when you're up, you take him. A Carl Banks type makes it more of a judgement issue, but you always go for overwhelming strength wherever you can get it.

That's why when the Giants are up Thursday, I won't be bummed out of they take yet another DE or WR. The pass rush is the life blood of our championship defenses, and as long as we have Eli we can never give him enough weapons.

Who knows....maybe the Giants want to go for a stud linebacker or yet another stud cornerback.

Giants have entertained visits from 8 more players that are not listed above - must be I was wrong about the 30 visit limit as this makes 33 visits:

Iowa CB Shaun Prater: A projected mid-round pick, he had a productive junior season in which he grabbed four interceptions before recording only one last season. He had a good week of practice at the East-West Shrine game and ran a tad over or under 4.4 at his pro day (depending on whose watch you believe). Prater had a knee issue that prevented him from working at the Scouting Combine, though that doesn’t seem to be a major red flag at this point. Doesn’t have ideal size (5-10, 185 pounds) and needs work with his press/man coverage, according to a few scouting reports.

USC TE/FB Rhett Ellison: Converted to fullback last season for the Trojans. Not the most gifted of athletes, per scouting reports, but an extremely hard worker and a great leader -- so much so that USC renamed the team's anuural leadership award after him. Ellison had 43 catches and five touchdowns in his final two seasons in college combined. At 6-5, 250 pounds, he sounds like he needs to add to his frame to play tight end at the next level. A projected mid-round pick.

USC DT DaJohn Harris: The projections here are all over the place because he didn’t work out at the Scouting Combine after doctors found a hole in his heart, a result of a condition known as patent foramen ovale. Harris said his cardiologist cleared him and sent letters to all 32 teams telling him he was not a medical risk. Still, the Giants probably brought him in to get their own doctors to examine him. Harris had a heckuva performance at the Shrine Game and should hear his name by the early part of Saturday, when Rounds 4-7 will be held.

McNeese State CB Janzen Jackson: A ton of baggage here for this transfer from Tennessee, who was arrested on attempted armed robbery as a freshman (the charges were later dropped) and reportedly failed a few drug tests. "I made some mistakes, and I admit I made them," Jackson said during an interview with WWL 870 in New Orleans, "I was young. I was away from home, and I didn't make the right choices back then, and I paid the price. It humbles you no matter how good you think you are." Janzen can be good, as he had five interceptions with the Vols in 2010 and added three with McNeese State last season.

Kentucky LB Dan Trevathan: Trevathan has good speed, according to reports, and was a very productive player last season but is a bit undersized at 6-1, 232 pounds. Jerry Reese said last year he couldn’t ignore Greg Jones’ production and perhaps it’ll be the same case with Trevathan, who last season had 143 tackles (11 1/2 tackles for loss), three sacks, four interceptions, five passes defensed and five fumbles forced. He’s projected as a late-round pick.

Texas A&M CB Terrence Frederick: Frederick ran in the low 4.4s at his pro day after being clocked over 4.5 at the Scouting Combine. He had only four interceptions in his college career.

Kentucky S Winston Guy: A late-round pick or perhaps an undrafted free agent, he’s a physical safety who has 120 tackles last season. He’s also played some cornerback.

Tennessee State LB Rico Council: Not a ton of information to be found on him because he’s projected as an undrafted free agent.