SportsWrath

London Fletcher

Sephiroth

Yes? No? For the right price?

Few NFL players have defied their age in recent years more than veteran linebacker London Fletcher.

In 2011, at the age of 36 and in the 14th year of his career, Fletcher amassed 166 tackles and captained a Redskins defense that was better than the team's record would suggest.

In fact, Fletcher has totaled over 116 tackles in each of the last 12 seasons and leads all active NFL players with 1,782 career stops. Despite his age and stature (he's just 5'10" tall), he remains one of the better hit and run linebackers in all of football.

The Giants, who sit pretty as the most recent Super Bowl champions, could vastly benefit from the addition of Fletcher, who has most recently spent five seasons with division rival Washington.

After losing middle linebacker Jonathan Goff to an ACL tear early in 2011, New York was forced to play with athletically-limited Chase Blackburn and rookie Jacquian Williams in the middle. Goff should be back to full strength entering 2012, but coming off of a major knee injury, he will need time to regain his stamina and durability for a full season of work.

Fletcher, however, would offer an upgrade over each member of the trio mentioned above, as well an abundance of veteran leadership and locker room presence.

The Giants have built their organization through the draft by adding cornerstone pieces like Eli Manning, Justin Tuck, Jason Pierre-Paul and Terrell Thomas, while supplementing through free agency with shrewd pickups such as David Baas, Kevin Boothe, Deon Grant and Steve Weatherford.

Fletcher would signal a continuation of that trend and immediately shore up the middle of the Giants' defense.

What remains to be seen in Fletcher's future is the amount of money and number of years he can command on a contract. Despite his ageless performance, teams may hesitate to commit to him on a multiple year deal.

But be it on a one-year or multiple year contract (that's a gamble I'd take), London Fletcher and the New York Giants are a worthwhile match.

I'm on the fence. He'd be a great guy to have around to mentor the young guys and he can still play. On the other hand, I don't want another Herschel Walker/Brian Mitchell situation where we get a once-great player on the first year of his decline.

Also... how the fuck have we not resigned Chase Blackburn? :huh:

If Goff signs elsewhere, than I'd consider Fletcher. Signing Fletcher would hurt the Redskins far more than it'd help us.

I like what we saw from J. Williams last year. He made some good plays as a young player. Blackburn filled in beautifully late in the season. I know with Osi entering his final year, there are thoughts of bringing Kiwi back to DE, which of course, would create a hole at LB.

For this season, I'd be fine with Goff, Boley, Kiwi...backed up by G. Jones, C. Blackburn, and draft pick/Paysinger. If Goff or Blackburn don't re-sign, than I'd be fine with pursuing Fletcher.

Fletcher should not get anything more than a 1 or 2 year deal topping out at about 3 mil.

I really wish the Giants picked this guy up ten years ago... I'm tempted, very tempted...

And they'd better resign Blackburn... bad karma if they don't pick him back up.

Yeah, I'm with you. He stabilized the position and I don't think we even make the playoffs without his efforts. I understand there are only so many spots, and the Giants probably want Goff back, and they want to see what they have in Herzlich and Jones, but the possibility is at least there that the latter two could be complete busts. J. Williams isn't a middle linebacker. Right now, they haven't signed Goff OR Blackburn, and that puzzles me. Blackburn just helped you win a Super Bowl, at a position that was a complete liability before he arrived. He has to be an insurance signing at least, because he's the only guy on the roster you KNOW can do the job.

If Goff signs elsewhere, than I'd consider Fletcher. Signing Fletcher would hurt the Redskins far more than it'd help us.

I like what we saw from J. Williams last year. He made some good plays as a young player. Blackburn filled in beautifully late in the season. I know with Osi entering his final year, there are thoughts of bringing Kiwi back to DE, which of course, would create a hole at LB.

For this season, I'd be fine with Goff, Boley, Kiwi...backed up by G. Jones, C. Blackburn, and draft pick/Paysinger. If Goff or Blackburn don't re-sign, than I'd be fine with pursuing Fletcher.

Fletcher should not get anything more than a 1 or 2 year deal topping out at about 3 mil.

If Blackburn signs elsewhere, I'd be pissed.....not saying Blackburn is a pro-bowler, but at least he understood his fucking job, which was better than any of the rookies could do.

This year, I say let him compete for the job, and if he doesn't start, he'd make an excellent backup, plus help on special teams.

I'm still pissed that Tollefson is gone.

If Blackburn signs elsewhere, I'd be pissed.....not saying Blackburn is a pro-bowler, but at least he understood his fucking job, which was better than any of the rookies could do.

This year, I say let him compete for the job, and if he doesn't start, he'd make an excellent backup, plus help on special teams.

I'm still pissed that Tollefson is gone.

I'm with you, I want Blackburn back. I think there's something about him that just fits with us that wouldn't necessarily transition onto a new team. Can't say what it is.

I'm not too pissed at Tolly. I would've like him back, but given the lineup in front of him, it's not like he was going to start anytime soon. So for him to leave for a starting position, I can't bitch. If he was going to a situation where he was 4th on the depth chart, getting the same money as we would've paid...then I'd be irked. I fully expect Osi to go next year....it's a feeling we're going to have to get used to as our Super Bowl winning team starts hitting free agency.

And that's why we build through the draft and coach up guys. It's how you have to do it in order to be a mainstay come playoffs. Free agency can be used to plug a hole or to create flexibility come draft day, but that's really where it ends.

I'm with you, I want Blackburn back. I think there's something about him that just fits with us that wouldn't necessarily transition onto a new team. Can't say what it is.

I'm not too pissed at Tolly. I would've like him back, but given the lineup in front of him, it's not like he was going to start anytime soon. So for him to leave for a starting position, I can't bitch. If he was going to a situation where he was 4th on the depth chart, getting the same money as we would've paid...then I'd be irked. I fully expect Osi to go next year....it's a feeling we're going to have to get used to as our Super Bowl winning team starts hitting free agency.

And that's why we build through the draft and coach up guys. It's how you have to do it in order to be a mainstay come playoffs. Free agency can be used to plug a hole or to create flexibility come draft day, but that's really where it ends.

Without a doubt, can't blame Tollefson for leaving at all....he definitely earned a payday. Just bummed because he was such a terrific spot player.

Totally with you on Blackburn, too..... he's young, understands the scheme, can play any LB position, plus special teams, and his pricetag is reasonable.....I think if Reese let's him walk (twice), he's making a big mistake.