SportsWrath

With LaVar, Giants Can't Lose

jambrosio

April 24, 2006 -- IF this is indeed Ernie Accorsi's last season before retirement, then LaVar Arrington stands as the last big-name free agent signed by the Giants GM.

Given the way Accorsi masterfully played the waiting game, allowing Arrington to come to him rather than give chase, this final move could be the one that gives Accorsi what he's long desired.

Arrington can be that type of player for the Giants, a difference-maker who catapults a good team into more rarefied air, a play-maker who makes a reliable defense into a dominating one.

Championships aren't won in April, but there's no doubt everything about the Giants got stronger and more formidable now that they've secured a soon-to-be 28-year old stud linebacker.

The way Accorsi and assistant GM Kevin Abrams structured the deal (steal?), the Giants assume virtually no risk. Given the status of the player involved, the signing bonus of $5.25 million is modest and, in terms of the salary cap, is virtually inconsequential when pro-rated over the life of the seven-year contract. The roster bonuses in the first two years of the deal are based on playing time, insuring the Giants against Arrington's right knee forcing him to the sideline.

An agent with knowledge of the contract was stunned by the numbers. "Terrible," he said when evaluating the deal from a players perspective. The Giants? "Fantastic . . . they did great," the agent said. "They were a team sitting in the perfect position."

There's no gloating by the Giants, who understand if Arrington stays healthy and plays extremely well they'll shell out big money, which is fine with them.

"As much as we wanted him," a Giants source said, "we weren't desperate."

Insiders in Washington have little negative to say about Arrington. Good guy, good with the media, more about football than anything else. Sure, as a superstar in his mind he wants things his way, which makes him the same as oh, about 90 percent of the other Pro Bowlers in the league. And no doubt, he strays from the defensive scheme too often.

All these failings are correctable. As Antonio Pierce will tell you, he and Arrington with the Redskins most often played under fairly chaotic conditions, with new coaches and systems every year, with an owner who with his rotisserie league maneuvers thought little of team chemistry. There's nothing but stability around the Giants under Tom Coughlin and defensive coordinator Tim Lewis.

And Arrington doesn't walk into the room as the focal point. Any defense that already includes Michael Strahan isn't lacking in star power. Plus, Osi Umenyiora last season played in his first (but not last) Pro Bowl and cornerback Sam Madison, new on the scene, is someone to follow.

Anyone around the Giants for any time last season learned that the commanding presence on defense is Pierce, who might go down as the best signing Accorsi has ever made. All Arrington has to do is play.

"We've already got a feel for each other," said Pierce, who should get a cut of the agents' commission for his role in recruiting Arrington. "We could be a great tandem."

This is where Arrington wanted to be all along - he accepted less guaranteed money from the Giants than he would have received from the Packers - and now he's got something to prove. The Giants handled this one perfectly. Now it's up to the player.

i was very cautious about lavar and was hoping the giants

wouldnt give up the farm for him and thank god they didnt.

A no risk contract ! Props to EA. :rock:

Couldnt ask for anything better!

Now lets hope they take a LB as the 1st pick to really secure the entire LB unit.

:TU:

i was very cautious about lavar and was hoping the giants

wouldnt give up the farm for him and thank god they didnt.

A no risk contract ! Props to EA. :rock:

Couldnt ask for anything better!

Now lets hope they take a LB as the 1st pick to really secure the entire LB unit.

:TU:

A LB, and then a DT would be great. Vice versa would be OK also.

Guest Floyd The Barber
A LB, and then a DT would be great. Vice versa would be OK also.

you see, you do seem to have some kind of brain in that large cranium....

Guest Floyd The Barber
Yes either way is fine !! i'm hoping they take

1 DT

2 LB

1 CB

1 WR

1 OT

:flex:

i can live with that...thats a healthy mix for this years draft...next we can lean towards offense

i can live with that...thats a healthy mix for this years draft...next we can lean towards offense

lets face it emmons is shot!!!

tobor we still question as a starter

Blackburn is learining

If the Giants dont take 2 LB's than i'm a blind man

lets face it emmons is shot!!!

tobor we still question as a starter

Blackburn is learining

If the Giants dont take 2 LB's than i'm a blind man

After further tought, I think taking a DT should be the priority before a LB. There are more quality LBs available than DTs, and since the Giants signed Arrington, there is less stress on solidfying that position. DT is a bigger problem at the moment.

After further tought, I think taking a DT should be the priority before a LB. There are more quality LBs available than DTs, and since the Giants signed Arrington, there is less stress on solidfying that position. DT is a bigger problem at the moment.

YEs hopefully we can get a quailty DT 2 LBs a CB!

DEFENSE!! how exciting ! !!! :P

At least the Giants are set for the upcoming season on the other side of the ball. Will need to look into a RB and WR for the 2007 season, looking ahead.

i know there will be some that wont agree but i think the giants

should sign ricky proehl . He was a big giants fan growing up and

a even in his late career he would be effective.

The guy can run routes and is clutch ! carter and taylor have yet to prove

that they are consistant or clutch!!

I know the guy is old but as a 3rd rec he is just as good with in 20 yds of the field

as any 3rd receiver we currently have !!!

I'm not so concerned with the need of a 3rd WR. What formation will we be in when we have Tiki coming out of the backfield, Toomer, Burress, and Shockey all in pass routes and still need more. That's 4 options. Keep 6 on the line to block for Eli. I really don't see us going in a 5-wide set. And even if we do, that 3rd WR will be the 5th option. So while it would be nice to have depth should Toomer or Burress suffer an injury, it's not as important a need as you might think.

I hope LA is a big help to us. He's a big name, he's a good run stopper, and now all we need is for him to be a big playmaker.

It will be hard to defend he and our our DE's, that's for sure. The increased pressure increases our DL needs and may help our secondary to have a shorter field.

I don't think I'd even bother drafting WR this year. From everything I've read, we aren't going to find some sensation this year, especially at our draft position. We have the same WR corps as last year, so it's not like we're desperately filling holes (although re-signing Carter might fall into that category). Toomer showed he can still make some great plays last year, hopefully Taylor finally has a healthy season, and Tyree isn't going anywhere. That leaves Carter's spot, and Ponder (low man on the totem pole). Sign a slew of UDFAs, and see if they can beat these two. Ponder is a one-trick pony, so if we can get someone who can return and (god forbid! :rolleyes: ) run routes and catch the ball occasionally, we've upgraded about as well as can be done with this class. Why waste a pick on someone with whom we really won't be satisfied?

I'd rather see an OT on the first day, and an additional DT on the second, assuming a worthwhile one is still available.

Guest Floyd The Barber

:furious: Acutally...With Lavar the Giants can Lose...

signing Lavar is giving everyone a false sense of security...its as if everyone is saying, OK, all of our LB issues are solved...we signed Short, and signed Arrington...we need not address this position any further...

this kind of thinking will criple our defense in the "likely" event this guy goes down with injury during some point of 2006...

we should not alter our draft priorities at all !!! it doesnt matter who we signed...

we need 2 LB's and 2 DT's from this draft !!!

signing Lavar is giving everyone a false sense of security...its as if everyone is saying, OK, all of our LB issues are solved...we signed Short, and signed Arrington...we need not address this position any further...

this kind of thinking will criple our defense in the "likely" event this guy goes down with injury during some point of 2006...

we should not alter our draft priorities at all !!! it doesnt matter who we signed...

It's as if!!?!?!??!?!?

who is saying this????

I swear you guys never stop making up BS...

We need depth at LB....and DT...I would wager a guess that 99% of this MB feels the same..

It's as if Floyd and likecock are gay for each other...

it's as if they verbaly fondel each other daily....

it's as if they know jack about football...

it's as if they know jack about the NY org...

it's as if.......please feel in the blank

I don't know about "likely event," but I do agree with you on picking another LB or two.

I've kind of warmed up to Short as a backup, as he plays two positions, and I'm not too convinced about our backup MLB, especially after the injury he received. I'd still like to go with Carpenter, not to necessarily play this year, but to groom. He has played both SLB and WLB in his career, so he has some versatility, something Torbor doesn't.

If Torbor beats Emmons, and unless there's a paycut in Carlos' future, I don't see him here by the season opener. So there would still be room for another backup LB.

I begin to wonder if the Faux Four don't write these posts as a joke, just to be contrarian. I mean, nobody could really be this dumb, could they?

If the Faux Four goes to games, I can't imagine having to sit next to these ass clowns cheering and jeering at the wrong times.

It's like having an annoying relative in the family that you wish would move away or pass away already.

The Lavar move is a good one for a number of reasons, it will also bring more attention to our team which has had only one name on it in the past few years and prior to that we had a novelty D with a white CB.

Otherwise, I'll be wishing LA well. Now what number will he wear?

I begin to wonder if the Faux Four don't write these posts as a joke, just to be contrarian. I mean, nobody could really be this dumb, could they?

If the Faux Four goes to games, I can't imagine having to sit next to these ass clowns cheering and jeering at the wrong times.

It's like having an annoying relative in the family that you wish would move away or pass away already.

The Lavar move is a good one for a number of reasons, it will also bring more attention to our team which has had only one name on it in the past few years and prior to that we had a novelty D with a white CB.

Whataver number Floyd deems proper. BTW, Floyd has been known to stalk MB posters at Giant home games. :o

55 :o

They have to be posting for effect...

no adult can be this stupid... :ph34r:

Guest Lockhart
April 24, 2006 -- IF this is indeed Ernie Accorsi's last season before retirement, then LaVar Arrington stands as the last big-name free agent signed by the Giants GM.

Given the way Accorsi masterfully played the waiting game, allowing Arrington to come to him rather than give chase, this final move could be the one that gives Accorsi what he's long desired.

Arrington can be that type of player for the Giants, a difference-maker who catapults a good team into more rarefied air, a play-maker who makes a reliable defense into a dominating one.

Championships aren't won in April, but there's no doubt everything about the Giants got stronger and more formidable now that they've secured a soon-to-be 28-year old stud linebacker.

The way Accorsi and assistant GM Kevin Abrams structured the deal (steal?), the Giants assume virtually no risk. Given the status of the player involved, the signing bonus of $5.25 million is modest and, in terms of the salary cap, is virtually inconsequential when pro-rated over the life of the seven-year contract. The roster bonuses in the first two years of the deal are based on playing time, insuring the Giants against Arrington's right knee forcing him to the sideline.

An agent with knowledge of the contract was stunned by the numbers. "Terrible," he said when evaluating the deal from a players perspective. The Giants? "Fantastic . . . they did great," the agent said. "They were a team sitting in the perfect position."

There's no gloating by the Giants, who understand if Arrington stays healthy and plays extremely well they'll shell out big money, which is fine with them.

"As much as we wanted him," a Giants source said, "we weren't desperate."

Insiders in Washington have little negative to say about Arrington. Good guy, good with the media, more about football than anything else. Sure, as a superstar in his mind he wants things his way, which makes him the same as oh, about 90 percent of the other Pro Bowlers in the league. And no doubt, he strays from the defensive scheme too often.

All these failings are correctable. As Antonio Pierce will tell you, he and Arrington with the Redskins most often played under fairly chaotic conditions, with new coaches and systems every year, with an owner who with his rotisserie league maneuvers thought little of team chemistry. There's nothing but stability around the Giants under Tom Coughlin and defensive coordinator Tim Lewis.

And Arrington doesn't walk into the room as the focal point. Any defense that already includes Michael Strahan isn't lacking in star power. Plus, Osi Umenyiora last season played in his first (but not last) Pro Bowl and cornerback Sam Madison, new on the scene, is someone to follow.

Anyone around the Giants for any time last season learned that the commanding presence on defense is Pierce, who might go down as the best signing Accorsi has ever made. All Arrington has to do is play.

"We've already got a feel for each other," said Pierce, who should get a cut of the agents' commission for his role in recruiting Arrington. "We could be a great tandem."

This is where Arrington wanted to be all along - he accepted less guaranteed money from the Giants than he would have received from the Packers - and now he's got something to prove. The Giants handled this one perfectly. Now it's up to the player.

.......with Lavar the Redskins never won, it wasn't until they benched him (2005) that they made the playoffs. He has 1 sack the last two years - pathetic.

Edited by Lockhart