SportsWrath

ESPN CONFIRMS LAVAR SIGNING

gateb

The Giants and former Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington have reached an agreement in principle on a seven-year deal worth $49 million.

Arrington

Five teams had been in the running for Arrington, but the Giants took a significant step toward getting a deal done Thursday. After Arrington took and passed a physical Thursday, negotiations turned serious and had been ongoing for more than 24 hours.

The Packers, Jaguars, Dolphins and Bengals had also been in the mix. Arrington's agent, Carl Poston, said the Jaguars and Packers made progress with their offers Friday, but the Giants took the lead Friday.

Arrington had hoped to stay in the NFC East in order to play the Redskins two times a year.

"Antonio Pierce really made a push to get the Giants to bring LaVar to New York," Poston said Friday. "It's a good fit. It would be great to have LaVar in the New York market."

Pierce left the Redskins after the 2004 season and was an instant star in the Giants defense.

The Dolphins had a $5 million a year offer on the table. Arrington was hoping to get a deal in the $7.5 million a year range.

I know there's a Lavar thread but this desrves its own. That's a lot of money and I guess that he won't get all of it if he doesn't live up to his status.

I know there's a Lavar thread but this desrves its own. That's a lot of money and I guess that he won't get all of it if he doesn't live up to his status.

I would have to see weather or not the 7y 49m is incentive laden and what the signing bonus is to determine if it is a good deal or not...But overall Im happy we have him :clap:

Guest nosebleed

Move over Shockey, there will be somebody new next to yourself, Carter, Taylor, Puke, et. al. on the trainer's table...... :rock:

Guest Lockhart

This might rival EA's Ron Dayne pick as his worst as a GM - oaying $49 million for a Gimpy Kneed headcase - I wonder if he's on his way to Miami to join Plaxico and Shockey in the South Beach off season "workout" program!

This might rival EA's Ron Dayne pick as his worst as a GM - oaying $49 million for a Gimpy Kneed headcase - I wonder if he's on his way to Miami to join Plaxico and Shockey in the South Beach off season "workout" program!

"GIANTS HAVE NO INTEREST IN LAVAR"

WRONG AGAIN YOU STUPID FUCKER!!!! :LMAO:

I would have to see weather or not the 7y 49m is incentive laden and what the signing bonus is to determine if it is a good deal or not...But overall Im happy we have him :clap:

:rock:

Instead, the Giants put together a deal that is heavily incentive-laden, allowing Arrington to get paid like a superstar only if he performs like one. That protects the Giants in case Arrington's right knee is not sound or if his best days are behind him.

:rock:

I still have that vision of LaVar picking off Simms in the playoff game etched in my head. I know he was on the outs in Washington and I know he had injury struggles in 04, but does anyone possibly think that there is a better athlete on our roster at the LB position or that we would have been able to get a rookie at #25 in the draft that can make an impact that LaVar can right away in 06? Motivation to get paid and piss off others is a dangerous combo, LaVar has both. He can make the Skins look bad and get paid to do it, great job by the front office in holding out.

BTW Is it still true that free agents do not want to come play for the Giants?

I still have that vision of LaVar picking off Simms in the playoff game etched in my head. I know he was on the outs in Washington and I know he had injury struggles in 04, but does anyone possibly think that there is a better athlete on our roster at the LB position or that we would have been able to get a rookie at #25 in the draft that can make an impact that LaVar can right away in 06? Motivation to get paid and piss off others is a dangerous combo, LaVar has both. He can make the Skins look bad and get paid to do it, great job by the front office in holding out.

BTW Is it still true that free agents do not want to come play for the Giants?

Exactly, if he stays healthy he's going to be a monster.

And haha right! Everyone hates Coughlin and will never play for him!

This makes the draft more interesting then ever. There are so many possibilities.

Makes it a lot more focused indeed. Wasn't there a draft recently where we picked up 3 lbs? I could be wrong though.

I still think we're getting an LB in the draft.. just not in the first round. On the other hand, we really pick the best player available so I won't be shocked if we still pick LB in the first... eh.. one more week of waiting.

Guest Nutty Sack
Makes it a lot more focused indeed. Wasn't there a draft recently where we picked up 3 lbs? I could be wrong though.

I still think we're getting an LB in the draft.. just not in the first round. On the other hand, we really pick the best player available so I won't be shocked if we still pick LB in the first... eh.. one more week of waiting.

What are you doing here ??? Shouldn't you be loading your vest or giving your Camel a bath ??

Guest nosebleed
What are you doing here ??? Shouldn't you be loading your vest or giving your Camel a bath ??

More like the camel giving him a bath.

7-8 mill bonus, 10 mill less then what Lavar expected.

I'd rather give him more in the seven year deal then what was expected then the bonus.

And we haven't even found out the incentives yet. I think we're fully protected.