SportsWrath

Final Roster (53 man)

BleedinBlue

If my calculations are correct, this is the final roster as we begin regular season play:

Offense (25 + 1 on I/R)

QB: Eli Manning, David Carr, Sage Rosenfels (I/R)

RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Brandon Jacobs, D.J. Ware, Da'Rel Scott ®

FB: Henry Hynoski ®

WR: Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Jerrel Jernigan ®, Devin Thomas, Domenik Hixon, Victor Cruz

TE: Travis Beckum, Bear Pascoe (also a FB), Jake Ballard

OL: Will Beatty, David Baas, Chris Snee, David Diehl, Kareem McKenzie, Kevin Boothe, Mitch Petrus, James Brewer ®, Stacy Andrews

Defense (25)

DT: Chris Canty, Linval Joseph, Rocky Bernard, Jimmy Kennedy

DE: Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Jason Pierre-Paul, Dave Tollefson

CB: Corey Webster, Aaron Ross, Prince Amukamara ®, Michael Coe, Brian Williams

S: Antrel Rolle, Kenny Phillips, Deon Grant, Tyler Sash ®, Derrick Martin

LB Michael Boley, Jonathan Goff, Mathias Kiwanuka, Mark Herzlich ®, Greg Jones ®, Spencer Paysinger ®, Jacquian Williams ®

ST

K: Lawrence Tynes

P: Steve Weatherford

LS: Zak DeOssie

Giants set final, 53-man roster

BY Ralph Vacchiano

The Giants began the always difficult task of removing 27 players from their active roster this morning so they could get from 80 down to the NFL's 53-man limit. Every team in the NFL needs to be at 53 by 6 p.m. today.

As the day goes on, I will be keeping a running list of the cuts right here on The Blue Screen, or for quicker information follow @TheBlueScreen on Twitter, where I already broke the news of a bunch of cuts this morning. I'll be listing them as they are confirmed by the player, his agent, the team, or in some cases where they are reported elsewhere:

So far here a few of the signifcant ones. The full list is below:

-- Weatherford wins the punting battle: No surprise at all, but veteran Steve Weatherford has indeed beaten out Matt Dodge in the Giants' punting competition. Give Dodge credit: He was terrific all summer long in a very difficult spot. He had all of last year's ghosts, plus the boos in his ear, but he still was much improved. Weatherford, though, is the safer choice and he's much better at directional punting -- which Coughlin loves. ... By the way, I've listed Dodge among the cuts, but I have also heard the Giants are trying to trade him. Both the Eagles and Redskins have unsettled punting situations and the last thing the Giants want is to cut Dodge and see him end up in one of those two spots.

-- Tynes is ready to go: It appears that Lawrence Tynes' troublesome thigh responded to his first test well and that the Giants are confident he will be ready to kick at the opener in Washington on Sept. 11. Tynes' replacement, Rhys Lloyd, indicated via his Twitter account this morning that he has been released.

-- Last year's returner won't return: WR/KR Darius Reynaud was cut, according to his agent. The Giants had acquired him (and backup quarterback Sage Rosenfels) in a trade with the Vikings at the end of camp last year, but he never worked out as their primary return man. He did have a terrific camp as a receiver, though, but it appears the numbers at that position got him in the end.

-- The Tank makes the cut: According to an NFL source, rookie FB Henry Hynoski has been told he's "safe" from the final cuts today. Assuming that stays true for the next few hours, it probably means "Hank the Tank" will be the starting fullback and Bear Pascoe will move back to tight end. Pascoe, Travis Beckum and Jake Ballard are the only tight ends on the Giants' roster, based on the cuts below.

-- Scott, Ware round out RBs: The Giants had three running backs vying for two backup spots and the agent for RB Andre Brown confirmed that his client is the odd-man out. There wasn't really much of a doubt. D.J. Ware was always safe as the third back, and rookie Da'Rel Scott cemented his spot with a 97-yard and a 65-yard touchdown run. With his blazing speed he never would've cleared waivers for the practice squad. Brown, the Giants' fourth-round pick from 2009, was a nice story trying to return from a ruptured Achilles, but he was out-played by the other two.

-- Carr to backup Manning: David Carr has won the backkup quarterback job with the Giants. Sage Rosenfels was placed on season-ending injjured reserve due to his throat infection that led to back issues. He had not played in any of the Giants' last three presason games.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2011/09/giants-set-final-53-man-roster

QB – Eli Manning, QB David Carr

RB – Ahmad Bradshaw, Brandon Jacobs, DJ Ware, Da’Rel Scott

FB – Henry Hynoski

TE – Travis Beckum, Jake Ballard, Bear Pascoe

WR – Victor Cruz, Domenik Hixon, Jerrel Jernigan, Mario Manningham, Hakeem Nicks, Devin Thomas

OL – David Baas, Will Beatty, Kevin Boothe, James Brewer, David Diehl, Kareem McKenzie, Chris Snee, Mitch Petrus, Stacy Andrews

DL – Rocky Bernard, Chris Canty, Linval Joseph, Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Dave Tollefson, Jimmy Kennedy

LB – Michael Boley, Jonathan Goff, Greg Jones, Mathias Kiwanuka, Spencer Paysinger, Mark Herzlich, Jacquian Williams

CB – Aaron Ross, Corey Webster, Prince Amukamara, Michael Coe, Brian Williams

S – Deon Grant, Kenny Phillips, Antrel Rolle, Tyler Sash, Derrick Martin

P – Steve Weatherford

K – Lawrence Tynes

LS – Zak DeOssie,

Giants "final" cuts

(This list will be updated constantly throughout the day, so please keep checking back in)

1.C Jim Cordle

2.WR Darius Reynaud

3.DE Ayanga Okpokuwuruk

4.OL Ikecheku Ndukwe

5.K Rhys Lloyd

6.DE Craig Marshall

7.TE Chris Hopkins

8.DT Gabe Watson

9.DE Alex Hall

10.S Jerrard Tarrant

11.LB/DE Adrian Tracy

12.TE Daniel Coats

13.P Matt Dodge

14.RB Charles Scott

15.DE Justin Trattou

16.S David Sims

17.S Brian Jackson (injured reserve)

18.DT Dwayne Hendricks

19.RB Andre Brown

20.CB Joe Burnett

21.QB Sage Rosenfels (injured reserve)

22.QB Ryan Perrilloux

23.T Jamon Meredith

24.T Jarriel King

25.WR Michael Clayton

26.C Chris White

27.LB Phillip Dillard

Not bad at all considering the injuries. Glad to see Hysonski and Herzlich make it. The weakest part of the team though is definitely the WR group....followed if not tied with the CB group. Teams are going to be trying to exploit that secondary early and often hope they can hold up, and given the weak WR group I hope the O-line gels quickly to provide a strong running game to make them stay honest.

What is Sage's injury that he is IRed with?

Not bad at all considering the injuries. Glad to see Hysonski and Herzlich make it. The weakest part of the team though is definitely the WR group....followed if not tied with the CB group. Teams are going to be trying to exploit that secondary early and often hope they can hold up, and given the weak WR group I hope the O-line gels quickly to provide a strong running game to make them stay honest.

What is Sage's injury that he is IRed with?

Strep throat and back stiffness. Lol

RB – Da’Rel Scott

LB – Greg Jones, Spencer Paysinger, Mark Herzlich, Jacquian Williams

P– Steve Weatherford

Da'Rel Scott is going to be a weapon that even Killdrive won't waste....really like these 4 new LBs, and Weatherford over Dodge was necessary.

:giants:

Strep throat and back stiffness. Lol

How the hell do you IR someone for strep throat. And why even bother? Sage has trade value. There are countless teams out there that would want him for what is admittedly a shitty draft pick, but its at least a draft pick.

I understand why Reese did a shitty job this offseason, but I didn't necessarily agree with it. Overall though I'm starting to think he got damn fucking lucky with his first draft class and really has been living off of that and the SB (from a roster his predecessor largely developed) since.

RB – Da'Rel Scott

LB – Greg Jones, Spencer Paysinger, Mark Herzlich, Jacquian Williams

P– Steve Weatherford

Da'Rel Scott is going to be a weapon that even Killdrive won't waste....really like these 4 new LBs, and Weatherford over Dodge was necessary.

:giants:

I bet he doesn't get 20 carries, assuming no injuries

I bet he doesn't get 20 carries, assuming no injuries

I don't know.....given out shitty TE situation, I wouldn't be surprised to see alot of 2-Back Sets.

Jacobs and Da'Rel Scott in the same backfield could be really interesting.

Plus, Scott can catch.....I could definitely see him as a 3rd down back.....or split wide?

I don't know.....given out shitty TE situation, I wouldn't be surprised to see alot of 2-Back Sets.

Jacobs and Da'Rel Scott in the same backfield could be really interesting.

Plus, Scott can catch.....I could definitely see him as a 3rd down back.....or split wide?

Woh woh woh...calm down there Joe. Those are the kind of radical ideas Krazy Kevin only unleashes when his alter ego takes over in preseason games.

If my calculations are correct, this is the final roster as we begin regular season play:

Offense (25 + 1 on I/R)

QB: Eli Manning, David Carr, Sage Rosenfels (I/R)

RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Brandon Jacobs, D.J. Ware, Da'Rel Scott ®

FB: Henry Hynoski ®

WR: Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Jerrel Jernigan ®, Devin Thomas, Domenik Hixon, Victor Cruz

TE: Travis Beckum, Bear Pascoe (also a FB), Jake Ballard

OL: Will Beatty, David Baas, Chris Snee, David Diehl, Kareem McKenzie, Kevin Boothe, Mitch Petrus, James Brewer ®, Stacy Andrews

Defense (25)

DT: Chris Canty, Linval Joseph, Rocky Bernard, Jimmy Kennedy

DE: Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Jason Pierre-Paul, Dave Tollefson

CB: Corey Webster, Aaron Ross, Prince Amukamara ®, Michael Coe, Brian Williams

S: Antrel Rolle, Kenny Phillips, Deon Grant, Tyler Sash ®, Derrick Martin

LB Michael Boley, Jonathan Goff, Mathias Kiwanuka, Mark Herzlich ®, Greg Jones ®, Spencer Paysinger ®, Jacquian Williams ®

ST

K: Lawrence Tynes

P: Steve Weatherford

LS: Zak DeOssie

My take:

Interesting Andrew Brown part II didn't make it, but I guess we have enough RBs.

Also interesting we kept 5 safeties. I personally thought Tyler Sash looked a bit lost at FS, more of a SS type. Not sure what Derrick Martin can bring to the table, I hear he's good in coverage, only average in tackling.

Phillip Dillard is a guy I saw cutting - he looked very lost at LB out there. LB Mark Herzlich , I know nothing about this guy... how did he do this preseason? He must have been one of the last to make the team due to the Sintim injury.

Dodge is also not a surprise, but I feel this decision was too influenced by the media... Dodge will go on to be a solid punter for years to come on another team.

Also encouraging, I caught Wetherford on the radio on WFAN, he was talking about the defense, and said that Goff is a monster on defense. I'm hoping he has a big year.

My take:

Interesting Andrew Brown part II didn't make it, but I guess we have enough RBs.

Also interesting we kept 5 safeties. I personally thought Tyler Sash looked a bit lost at FS, more of a SS type. Not sure what Derrick Martin can bring to the table, I hear he's good in coverage, only average in tackling.

Phillip Dillard is a guy I saw cutting - he looked very lost at LB out there. LB Mark Herzlich , I know nothing about this guy... how did he do this preseason? He must have been one of the last to make the team due to the Sintim injury.

Dodge is also not a surprise, but I feel this decision was too influenced by the media... Dodge will go on to be a solid punter for years to come on another team.

Also encouraging, I caught Wetherford on the radio on WFAN, he was talking about the defense, and said that Goff is a monster on defense. I'm hoping he has a big year.

Shockingly, this could be the best LB unit we've seen in a long time.

Which is great, because it means Kiwanuka can be used on the DL if needed.

My take:

Herzlich looked pretty darn good in preseason. His tipped pass and subsequent turnover was a stellar play near the goal line. He also had a sack and was in on plenty of tackles.

No one knew how he would do after cancer, but it was pretty much a unanimous thought by the talking heads that he was a first round LB in his Junior year and possibly the best LB in the class. Everyone was leery to draft him a year later though because they weren't sure if he came back fully from cancer. But he's really smart and studies tapes like crazy and uses his brains along with his athleticism. I don't know if he's a 100% yet, but he's very good and I wouldn't be surprised if he was a starter in another year or two.

To be honest, I think he had already beaten out Sintim. The injury to Sintim just made him a lock. It's going to be fun watching our LB's this year and it could be a strength for us in the coming years with this group of young guns.

I've always been behind Goff. The guy is a solid and serviceable linebacker who can at least run with tight ends and backs if he has to. He might not have the leadership quality of an Antonio Pierce, but he is 4 times more athletic.

Matt Dodge is not going to be a good kicker for anyone. You can't just fix the fact that you can't pin the opponent inside the 20 or that you have zero hangtime on your punts. You guys watch, the punt coverage will be 100% better now that we have a legitimate punter in Weatherford. He'll kick it 45 yards but it will stay in the air long enough to actually get a fair catch called now and then. Unlike Dodge.

Reese is sooooo hit or miss on mid level draft picks it's not even funny

Dillard was a horrible pick and we all k we it from day 1. Brown, well he's just a shame. DJ Ware is better and you all should just admit it.

Man, I think every single person on this board had their WTF faces on when we drafted Dillard. What a god damn waste. All of us were surprised he even made the cut last year!!

I agree with Storm as I have always been a Goff fan as well.

But Jones is the future starting next year at MLB, Herzlich and

My boy JaQuan are also future studs.

Wow we actually have many young promising LBs aquaired late by Reese and Co.

Agreed. People were writing off Goff before they even saw him play, especially the gay ass analysts.....

He was a raw talent out of college that we turned into a pretty solid linebacker (Vanderbilt, right? Not exactly LB U). He's not going to turn the tide of the game in your favor but he's also not going to cause you to lose any games. And while that's not optimal, in my opinion, it's better than what we had in AP. In my opinion, he's the Eli Manning of the defense. He's not flashy, he'll make mistakes, but he will get the job done without making mistakes that will cost you the game.

I can never get this 100%. But I will say, my projection was pretty close. I thought Gabe Watson would make it, and they opted for another safety by keeping Derrick Martin. So that was a surprise, Martin wasn't even on my radar. I also had Lloyd over Tynes but that was really more wishful thinking. I should've known better that Tom has an undeniable loyalty to Tynes even though he's mediocre. I was out having dinner with friends last night and one of my buddies is from Kansas and is a Chiefs fan, and he was saying how he couldn't believe it that the Giants traded FOR Tynes because he sucks. I just had to laugh, the Tynes love really is inexplicable.

But other than those two guys, I had this roster nailed. I also want to :flex: at the posters here and at BBI who thought Perriloux and Andre Brown were ever going to make this team. :P