SportsWrath

Giants vs Bears

osi724dasack

Might as well use this as a discount on T2 and go hard this year with what we got and add a healthy t2 next year at a much cheaper rate.

T2 us a warrior with his work ethic so he will be back strong just like Hixon since he will have a full year to rehab. Plus he's youngish at 26-27 years old.

I have a new goat for the T2 injury. If Greg Jones doesn't block that punt with just less than a minute to go in the first half, we likely don't get that TD, and the 2nd team offense is on the field to halftime. T2 doesn't see the field in the 2nd half, and we go on to week 3.

Also, on the T2 injury play, on the field at the time was the following players in a nickel package:

JPP

Linval

Kiwi (as a down lineman)

Tollefson

Dillard

Paysinger (not 100% but it was either him or Ingram and I think Paysinger was taking 2nd team reps)

Webster

Ross

KP

and probably Rolle, but I really couldn't see the other safety too well.

So it looks like much of the 2nd team defense was on the field except for the secondary. I thought that was very curious and then thought about the situation. The situation was the Bears had a long field with about 30 seconds to go until halftime, and was trying to get a score. So it looks like Fewell/TC wanted the best pass defenders out there to stop them from scoring.

Now, on the other hand, the Bears could've just knelt, the fuckers. Gawd I hate the Bears.

Now, I really can't blame Greg Jones, of course, but I have to direct my anger to someone. So I'm going to parse my anger out in 3 directions. 1 - The guy that had the job of blocking Greg Jones on the punt, 2 is Lovie Smith for trying to get a meaningless score with 30 seconds to go on a long field before halftime, and 3 is TC and Fewell for having the starting secondary out there in that situation, when most of the rest of the starters were pulled.

That is all. This has been therapeutic. Thanks guys.

Btw I was reading an interview with Coughlin and he said the main reason he still had starters in the game at that point was to give them reps against the Bears first team playing a two minute offense. Which btw, is probably the same reason the Bears had their first team offense on the field, to try a two minute drill. It's not really about winning and losing these games it's about getting your guys ready for week 1. Hence both teams out there getting their guys game reps in a two-minute offense and defense.

-Z

Btw I was reading an interview with Coughlin and he said the main reason he still had starters in the game at that point was to give them reps against the Bears first team playing a two minute offense. Which btw, is probably the same reason the Bears had their first team offense on the field, to try a two minute drill. It's not really about winning and losing these games it's about getting your guys ready for week 1. Hence both teams out there getting their guys game reps in a two-minute offense and defense.

-Z

very good point.

I would offer T2 a 2 year extension tommorow to show him our loyalty and respect for the way HE has played the game for us so far.

2 years $8 mill $4 guaranteed.

Do it Reese! T2 will be 99% next season!

That would be awfully bad for business.

-Z

I agree with him there, but sending a CB blitz with little time to go in the second half of a meaningless preseason game is kind of pointless, regardless of the 2 minute situation. Sit back and have them play in tight coverage on their wide receivers and trust your elite pass rush to stop them. I would have no problems with a CB blitz earlier in the half, and who knows, he might have even got injured in the same manner if he had blitzed earlier....but with 30 seconds left and the Bears were, I'm pretty sure, in field goal position at the time......you catch my drift.....

The Bears had a long field... it was the first play of their possession that started on their own 23 yard line. There was exactly 30 seconds left in the game when the play began... not sure how much of a two minute offense or defense you're getting ready for there.

Cutler was back out on the field at the time. The decision making there is still, IMO, foolhardy given that it is still just a preseason game, and these are veterans in the secondary that are well versed in how to defend a two minute offense.

The Bears had a long field... it was the first play of their possession that started on their own 23 yard line. There was exactly 30 seconds left in the game when the play began... not sure how much of a two minute offense or defense you're getting ready for there.

Cutler was back out on the field at the time. The decision making there is still, IMO, foolhardy given that it is still just a preseason game, and these are veterans in the secondary that are well versed in how to defend a two minute offense.

This logic would defeat the purpose of playing starters at all. The starters are well versed in everything but you still need action to keep yourself fresh and on the ball.

-Z

How can you come to that conclusion, Z? They already had most of the entire first half for that. In fact, prior to the game, as I said, TC said the starters would only get about 25 snaps, and if he stuck to just 25, as the previous Bears' possession ended on snap 27, T2 wouldn't have been on the field. Plus TC already felt that Boley, Goff, Tuck, and Canty had already had enough action to "keep themselves fresh and on the ball." I mean, that kind of statement is a really piss poor defense. I simply refer you to Tom Coughlin's OWN pre-game statements of what he felt the starters needed.

How can you come to that conclusion, Z? They already had most of the entire first half for that. In fact, prior to the game, as I said, TC said the starters would only get about 25 snaps, and if he stuck to just 25, as the previous Bears' possession ended on snap 27, T2 wouldn't have been on the field. Plus TC already felt that Boley, Goff, Tuck, and Canty had already had enough action to "keep themselves fresh and on the ball." I mean, that kind of statement is a really piss poor defense. I simply refer you to Tom Coughlin's OWN pre-game statements of what he felt the starters needed.

Are you joking me? You're holding Tom Coughlin to the fact that he said 25 snaps and this was snap 27?? I'm sorry but that's completely unreasonable...

And even running with that logic, Coughlin didn't say 25, he said 25-30:

"Giants coach Tom Coughlin said his offensive starters would get between 25 and 30 snaps in Monday’s game against the Bears, according to the Newark Star-Ledger."

Link

It really doesn't make a difference whether he said 25 or 25-30, but if you're making a big deal out of his exact pre-game estimate then there ya go...

-Z

And the fact that starters had the whole first half to get them up to game speed doesn't have anything to do with whether or not they had faced an opposing teams starters playing a two minute offense yet...And they could use reps at that...

Your question about why he chose certain starters and not others is a valid one, and I'm pretty sure if you asked Tom he'd have a rationale for it.

For God's sake football and planning the Giants team is Tom's life, he's not just tossing things up in the air at random. He's not attempting to make his starters vulnerable. He's an experienced NFL coach trying to get his roster ready for week 1, who knows a heck of a lot more about where each player and unit is holding and which players and which units need more time/work in what situations etc... than we ever will.

-Z

Are you joking me? You're holding Tom Coughlin to the fact that he said 25 snaps and this was snap 27?? I'm sorry but that's completely unreasonable...

And even running with that logic, Coughlin didn't say 25, he said 25-30:

"Giants coach Tom Coughlin said his offensive starters would get between 25 and 30 snaps in Monday’s game against the Bears, according to the Newark Star-Ledger."

Link

It really doesn't make a difference whether he said 25 or 25-30, but if you're making a big deal out of his exact pre-game estimate then there ya go...

-Z

Nope, it was snap 28, and he had already gone over the 25 snap threshold on the previous Bears' possession, and that was my point. I appreciate you finding that quote, the one I heard was "the starters would go about 25 snaps." You are right, 28-30 snaps would still fit in the "about 25 snap" range, but I am still not convinced that crucial veteran players like Kiwi, KP, Rolle, Webster, Ross, and T2 needed to be on the field in that situation. I'm ready to drop this whole argument, but I will fight with anyone that says that starters need to be on the field more than 1 quarter in any preseason game. Like I said... 2 series per preseason game is sufficient. Preserving the health of starters for games that matter is infinitely more important than getting extra game reps for veterans in a preseason game.

What real extra rust are you shaking off by getting that extra quarter or two of football that can't be done prior to week 1 anyway? What's the worst case scenario? They don't get an extra couple of reps in a game? By the end of the first half of week 1 they are going to get those reps. I'd rather have T2 give up 2 touchdowns in the first half of our week 1 game against the Redskins (like John Beck or Grossman would even be able to do that anyway), then have him or another big time player out for the season. Seriously, what is more important?

I also know that the guys playing across from them in scrimmages and drills/practice are pretty damn good, and they practice the 2 minute drill all the time.

I'm sorry, there is no reasonable, logical defense for a veteran to be out on the field in that situation.

Nope, it was snap 28, and he had already gone over the 25 snap threshold on the previous Bears' possession, and that was my point. I appreciate you finding that quote, the one I heard was "the starters would go about 25 snaps." You are right, 28-30 snaps would still fit in the "about 25 snap" range, but I am still not convinced that crucial veteran players like Kiwi, KP, Rolle, Webster, Ross, and T2 needed to be on the field in that situation. I'm ready to drop this whole argument, but I will fight with anyone that says that starters need to be on the field more than 1 quarter in any preseason game. Like I said... 2 series per preseason game is sufficient. Preserving the health of starters for games that matter is infinitely more important than getting extra game reps for veterans in a preseason game.

What real extra rust are you shaking off by getting that extra quarter or two of football that can't be done prior to

Lweek 1 anyway? What's the worst case scenario? They

Ldon't get an extra couple of reps in a game? By the end of the first half of week 1 they are going to get those reps. I'd rather have T2 give up 2 touchdowns in the first half of

Lour week 1 game against the Redskins (like John Beck or

L Grossman would even be able to do that anyway), then have him or another big time player out for the season. Seriously, what is more important?

I also know that the guys playing across from them in scrimmages and drills/practice are pretty damn good, andthey practice the 2 minute drill all the time.

I'm sorry, there is no reasonable, logical defense for a veteran to be out on the field in that situation.

Spot on, I couldn't believe they had T2 blitzing in that scenario. Terrible terrible outcome. I expect a series or two this game against the jets and same with the pats game. Let's use these

Games to see which of our LBers deserve a spot, who gets the last few WR spots and let's see who's gonna fill the voids at nickel and dime cb, 3rd DT, and the 4th and or 3rd RB

I expect a series or two this game against the jets and same with the pats game.

Lol dude...our starters will play the whole first half...and Rex Ryan said he'll play his starters through the first series of the second half. (All this assuming there won't be cows and trees swirling in the stadium.)

This is standard procedure throughout the NFL.

-Z

Lol dude...our starters will play the whole first half...and Rex Ryan said he'll play his starters through the first series of the second half. (All this assuming there won't be cows and trees swirling in the stadium.)

This is standard procedure throughout the NFL.

-Z

Damn that's just disgusting. I'm expecting multiple season ending injuries then. = (

Damn that's just disgusting. I'm expecting multiple season ending injuries then. = (

I am not expecting any serious injuries. I simply know there is risk of those kinds of injuries, and the risk is increased for a singular player the more snaps the player gets on a football field. Hence my statement that risk should be mitigated when possible in preseason games. But apparently that makes me a fucking moron, go figure.