SportsWrath

Atlanta Braves (6-7) at New York Mets (9-2) 7:10pm 4-17-06

Plax 4 Prez

Mets look for 10th win behind Martinez

Atlanta (6-7) at NY Mets (9-2) 7:10 pm EDT

FLUSHING, New York (Ticker) - Trying to become the first team in the major leagues to win 10 games, the New York Mets send Pedro Martinez to the mound Monday as they open a three-game series against National League East Division rival the Atlanta Braves.

Martinez (2-0, 3.46 ERA) was sharp in his last outing, yielding just one run and one hit - a solo homer to Jose Vidro - in seven innings as the Mets defeated Washington on Wednesday, 3-1.

New York posted a 9-3 triumph in its rubber game against Milwaukee on Sunday to improve to a major league-best 9-2. Carlos Delgado and Xavier Nady each homered and drove in three runs for the Mets, who are off to their best start in franchise history.

Atlanta will counter with Jorge Sosa (0-2, 11.37), who has yet to last more than four innings this season. Sosa has thrown a total of 6 1/3 frames in two starts, yielding 10 runs and 11 hits.

The Braves had won the first two games against San Diego over the weekend before losing Sunday's finale, 4-3.

Huge game tonight, Will set the tone for the summer for this club if than manage to sweep or come out 2-1 after this.

If we start the first game with a win, we should easily spank them as long as we don't play Julio at all ;)

If we start the first game with a win, we should easily spank them as long as we don't play Julio at all ;)

I know this won't be a popular statement, but i think Julio started to work out some kinks on Sunday. He did give up that rocket line drive to the 396 wall, but if he can get himself right in these early games, grab some confidence, it will definately strengthen our pen. I think I will always be nervous when he enters games but Sanchez, Heilman, Bradford and a righted Julio seems like a solid bridge to Wagner.

This is exactly the type of situation that the Mets typically struggle in ... important game against a crappy pitcher with Pedro or another excellent pitcher on the mound. If this is 2001-2005, Sosa pitches a gem and the Mets lose 2-1. Hopefully old trends come to an end...

This is exactly the type of situation that the Mets typically struggle in ... important game against a crappy pitcher with Pedro or another excellent pitcher on the mound. If this is 2001-2005, Sosa pitches a gem and the Mets lose 2-1. Hopefully old trends come to an end...

Your right, Money... but the biggest thing is this team is worlds above the past Mets, plus we have young ass guys like Wright, Bannister, and Milledge that still even tapped their true potentcial... I'm not going to guarentee anything except we will be a competitive team for a good while aslong as the injuries are to a minimum

just went outside for a cigg.. why is floyd out????? and what is the story on beltran... i live in chicago and cant hear much about it... tell me we arent getting naggins injuries already?

Looks like it. It's a slight hammy injury and Beltran doesn't want a repeat of last season so I say hold out as long as he wants. I'm a little bit worried about this. It's his second nagging injury in as many years.

I don't know why Floyd left.

10 and 2 is a hell of a start.... wow, you guys got something this year.

:mellow:

Haven't had this feeling before.

Not as thrilled as you guys would expect. Two of our key players this season already have stupid lingering injuries. Hopefully with this quick start, it allows them to take as much time as they need to heal and we could get them back at full strength.