SportsWrath

Giants receiver Hakeem Nicks out indefinitely with leg injury

Lubeck

Fuck Ashante dickhead.. that scum. He's NOT as talented as people thing... he's overhyped. The INT was Manning's fault because the throw was inaccurate and too low. Manning should learn to aim at the receivers head.

Actually it's Nicks' fault because he always stutter steps on his breaks. Notice the 2 INTs this week and last week were the same type route going to Nicks; just not a pick 6 this time.

from mike garofolo:

So what do the Giants do now that receiver Hakeem Nicks is sidelined for three weeks? Here are their best options, including a few veterans who might work out for them today:

IN-HOUSE

• Samuel Giguere: A current member of the practice squad, he has played in only one NFL game — a snowy Week 17 game for the Colts against the Bills last season. Eli Manning said Peyton spoke highly of Giguere, though the two only played one series together.

• Travis Beckum: The tight end often lines up at wide receiver and could do so a lot more often moving forward.

• Antrel Rolle: Forget it.

FREE AGENTS

• Kevin Curtis: The Giants worked out the former Eagle last week. As of Monday evening, there was no update on his situation. He might be the most likely outside option.

• Brandon Jones: Also worked out for Giants last week. Had 41 catches with Tennessee in 2008.

• Reggie Brown: Another former Eagle, all has been quiet with him since he was cut by the Bucs at the end of the preseason.

• Antonio Bryant: Went from signing a $28 million deal to unemployed when he was cut by the Bengals in August. We repeat: cut ... by the Bengals.

• Keenan Burton: The Giants tried to bring the former Ram in for a workout earlier this season but he visited the Bears instead. His agent said there was nothing doing as of Monday night.

• Michael Clayton: The former Buccaneer is in the UFL, so it would cost the Giants a $150,000 “transfer fee” to sign him.

Giants bringing Michael Clayton in for workout

With starting receiver Steve Smith out into December due to a pectoral injury and fellow starting receiver Hakeem Nicks reportedly out for three weeks with a foot injury, the receiver-needy Giants may be getting ready to write a check for $150,000.

A league source tells us that the Giants will be bringing in former NFL and current UFL receiver Michael Clayton for a workout.

The timing isn’t clear. The memo recently sent by the NFL to all teams contemplates that no tryouts will occur until after Friday’s UFL championship game. Clayton played for the Nighthawks, who did not qualify for the title game.

Last week, the UFL’s first-ever controversy arose when word surfaced that the league plans to enforce the $150,000 “transfer fee” through February 2011 for any player signed to an active NFL roster over the balance of the NFL season. After sending mixed signals, the UFL ultimately opted to stick with its plan to charge the fee.

It remains to be seen whether the fee will be paid by the Giants or by Clayton himself. He entered the league in 2004 as a first-round pick of the Buccaneers, and he started 11 games in 2009 for the Bucs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/23/giants-bringing-michael-clayton-in-for-workout/

2004--multiple safeties, defensive line

2005--linebackers

2006--defensive line, again

2007--no concentration of injuries in any position, SB

2008--defensive line (Osi out for season, both Cofield and Robbins needing surgery right after season)

2009--RBs, defensive backfield, dline all playing less than 100%

2010--oline (specifically, center), WRs

Gee, why do we fade in the second half of our seasons? :confused:

It's not even the severity of them, or the number (other teams have more guys out than us), but they seem to hit one position every year, and almost nowhere else.

We have 3 WRs on IR, two with important roles and Cruz with more potential than Duke Calhoun. Two of our starting three are out for who knows how long. The only guy left that we knew we'd have from the beginning of training camp is Manningham. :doh:

I think its because of our practice regimen...we tend to practice like its a game instead of just doing walk throughs...and then these guys never really heal.

I think its because of our practice regimen...we tend to practice like its a game instead of just doing walk throughs...and then these guys never really heal.

That. And not incorporating a more intensive stretching regimen.

you're right about stretching. but do you have knowledge that the giants don't stretch? (and don't say the injuries, because that's conjecture.)

He stretches at his annual turkey bowl at Meadowbrook State Park every year, don't you know that?

Smith's injury was a freak one. You have no idea what goes on in Giants practices Nas, please stop talking like you have a clue.

you're right about stretching. but do you have knowledge that the giants don't stretch? (and don't say the injuries, because that's conjecture.)

No I don't. However given the history of pulled him strings and torn pectoral muscles I can make that claim with very little doubt.

No I don't. However given the history of pulled him strings and torn pectoral muscles I can make that claim with very little doubt.

You could more easily argue that the rash of hamstring injuries (which seem to mostly occur at practice, not in games) is due to hyperextension caused by poor footing ie. the field turf.

I can't recall another torn pec that wasn't on a lineman. That one's a freak.

the majority of athletes don't stretch enough. ichiro is the only athlete i've seen that stretches all the time. as a result, he's rarely been injured and is always in position to spontaneously accelerate, stop, pivot, etc.

but that's not because the mariners coaching staff is great. it's something he believes in.

the majority of athletes don't stretch enough. ichiro is the only athlete i've seen that stretches all the time. as a result, he's rarely been injured and is always in position to spontaneously accelerate, stop, pivot, etc.

but that's not because the mariners coaching staff is great. it's something he believes in.

In a way you made my point stronger... stretching/yoga is an integral part of sports. If young athletes don't realize that it's up to the coaches to enforce it.

In a way you made my point stronger... stretching/yoga is an integral part of sports. If young athletes don't realize that it's up to the coaches to enforce it.

it was not my intention to make your point. a conditioning coach has control of these guys about 5 hours a week.