SportsWrath

Seeking To "Upgrade" The Linebacker Position

Guest nosebleed

Guest nosebleed

BROWN, GIANTS HAVE GOOD VISIT

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

April 8, 2006 -- It's no secret the Giants need to bolster their linebacker position and, seeking to upgrade their experience at that spot, they met yesterday with Chad Brown, a 13-year NFL veteran who is an unrestricted free agent.

"He had a great meeting with the Giants," said Brown's agent, Peter Schaffer. "It was wonderful. All good."

Schaffer said he plans on speaking with Kevin Abrams, the Giants assistant general manager, on Monday, which means that's when financial terms on a possible deal will be discussed. Brown, who turns 36 on July 12, spent the first four years of his career with the Steelers and knows Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis, a former Pittsburgh assistant, quite well.

Brown parlayed a career-best 13-sack 1996 season into a huge payday with the Seahawks and spent eight seasons in Seattle. Brown is known as a highly effective pass-rusher, but has managed one sack in the past two seasons, none in 15 games and five starts last year in his one season with the Patriots.

With the departures of Barrett Green and Nick Greisen, the Giants are thin at linebacker, with four veterans on the roster. They continue to have interest in LaVar Arrington, but the former Redskin's asking price remains too high for the Giants' liking.

Word has it, the next linebacker Ernie plans on bringing in is former Giant Johnnie Cooks.

Guest Lockhart
BROWN, GIANTS HAVE GOOD VISIT

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

April 8, 2006 -- It's no secret the Giants need to bolster their linebacker position and, seeking to upgrade their experience at that spot, they met yesterday with Chad Brown, a 13-year NFL veteran who is an unrestricted free agent.

"He had a great meeting with the Giants," said Brown's agent, Peter Schaffer. "It was wonderful. All good."

Schaffer said he plans on speaking with Kevin Abrams, the Giants assistant general manager, on Monday, which means that's when financial terms on a possible deal will be discussed. Brown, who turns 36 on July 12, spent the first four years of his career with the Steelers and knows Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis, a former Pittsburgh assistant, quite well.

Brown parlayed a career-best 13-sack 1996 season into a huge payday with the Seahawks and spent eight seasons in Seattle. Brown is known as a highly effective pass-rusher, but has managed one sack in the past two seasons, none in 15 games and five starts last year in his one season with the Patriots.

With the departures of Barrett Green and Nick Greisen, the Giants are thin at linebacker, with four veterans on the roster. They continue to have interest in LaVar Arrington, but the former Redskin's asking price remains too high for the Giants' liking.

Word has it, the next linebacker Ernie plans on bringing in is former Giant Johnnie Cooks.

EA is truly lost - first, he brings in the Gimpy, headcase Lavar and now this has-been.

Guest nosebleed
maybe a vet LB is what we need...someone to show our young guys the ropes

Last checked, Carlos Emmons is an aging veteran linebacker, so Ernie should bring in another aging linebacker to show the younger guys the "ropes."

You think just like Ernie, clueless.

Last checked, Carlos Emmons is an aging veteran linebacker, so Ernie should bring in another aging linebacker to show the younger guys the "ropes."

You think just like Ernie, clueless.

I see what your saying but a Vet to back up LA, RT / CE, maybe even AP is a good idea...I wish we had him at the end of last year :TU:

Guest Lockhart
I see what your saying but a Vet to back up LA, RT / CE, maybe even AP is a good idea...I wish we had him at the end of last year :TU:

Oh that's right - you're one of the "Sponge Bob" crowd that believe Giant101 - wanna but a bridge?

Oh that's right - you're one of the "Sponge Bob" crowd that believe Giant101 - wanna but a bridge?

Um...Try responding to what I said instead of resulting to childish insults...

We both agree that the Giants need depth at the LB position. I would rather have a Veteran back up starting in a playoff game then some kid they just pulled off the street....

Guest nosebleed

Come on man, this dude clearly doesn't have "it" anymore and would be a wasted roster space, most likely ending up on IR.

Guest Carbo

Pierce is the veteran of the group, and the leader of the D. He can show any young protege "the ropes", if need be. Bringing in Chad Brown is of no value to the Giants, and does nothing on the field to bolster the D.

Guest nosebleed
Pierce is the veteran of the group, and the leader of the D. He can show any young protege "the ropes", if need be. Bringing in Chad Brown is of no value to the Giants, and does nothing on the field to bolster the D.

Well, the Giants may need another body for the IR, Brown could serve this purpose. Nothing like an additional wasted roster space and another member of Club Training Table.

Come on man, this dude clearly doesn't have "it" anymore and would be a wasted roster space, most likely ending up on IR.

Yes he is 35. ....Let me put it this way. The Giants are in the NFC championship game..RT and CE go down(god forbid) Would you rather a Rookie FA or a 13 Year Vet taking over for them...Me I take the Vet... Now if we go LB in the first 2 or 3 rounds then I can see this being more of a "tutor" / added depth signing. As we learned last year you can never have too much depth

Guest Lockhart
Yes he is 35. ....Let me put it this way. The Giants are in the NFC championship game..RT and CE go down(god forbid) Would you rather a Rookie FA or a 13 Year Vet taking over for them...Me I take the Vet... Now if we go LB in the first 2 or 3 rounds then I can see this being more of a "tutor" / added depth signing. As we learned last year you can never have too much depth

Yes, but in Madden you can override the setup an dput whoever you want in.

Fine ... wait until before the playoffs to sign him then. Trust me, he'll still be available.

This better be a smokescreen or something like that because showing interest in this guy when we have other players and positions we need to fill up or increase depth at makes this look ridiculous. Wait until after the draft for this guy, he'll still be there.

People are forgetting why EA is looking at Chad Brown

We all know Chad is not the player he used to be. He is still a much better WLB than Greisen. Chad Brown was one of the best OLBs in the NFL for many years, although no longer great, he is still a good LB. Remember the Patriots picked him up last year, they know a thing or two about quality LBs

Chad is still productive: last year while splitting time with Vrabel, Brushi, McGinest Colvin and Beisel (among others), he still had 31 solo tackles and 8 assists in 15 games. It also shows that he is happy to do whatever role the team needs.

What Ernie Accorsi is planning with Chad is to have a solid (and cheap) veteran at WLB, and to draft a quality rookie WLB early. Chad can also backup Pierce if need be.

It will be a rookie/veteran thing, not unlike what heppened with Warner/Manning, Emmons/Torbor, Strahan/Umenyiora and what we plan for Madison/Webster

Chad Brown will be able to pass on the benefits of his experience (which is invaluable) to whichever rookie we draft, and will be competing for the starting WLB spot until the rookie develops and adjusts to the NFL.

Competition will bring out the best in both Chad Brown and the rookie WLB.

Not every player can be team focussed enough to help develop the young guy, who was drafted to replace him. Which is why we are targeting Chad Brown and not an experienced veteran such as Peter Boulware, Jamie Sharper, , Nial Diggs, Chris Clairborne, Nate Wayne, Junior Seau, Warren Holdman; or a solid younger guys like Tommy Polley, Keith Adams and Keith Newman

It is worth remebering that while the cream of LBs have been taken in free agency, there are still quite alot of players who still haven't found teams

Guest Lockhart
I have to agree with the Fab 4.

What's the point of brining in this guy?

Showing the youngsters the ropes? ...if he was any good.

We have Emmons. He's old. :doh:

that's it exactly, and makes the most sense. This continued use of the Giants as a home for the elderly does noone any good.

We all know Chad is not the player he used to be. He is still a much better WLB than Greisen. Chad Brown was one of the best OLBs in the NFL for many years, although no longer great, he is still a good LB. Remember the Patriots picked him up last year, they know a thing or two about quality LBs

Chad is still productive: last year while splitting time with Vrabel, Brushi, McGinest Colvin and Beisel (among others), he still had 31 solo tackles and 8 assists in 15 games. It also shows that he is happy to do whatever role the team needs.

What Ernie Accorsi is planning with Chad is to have a solid (and cheap) veteran at WLB, and to draft a quality rookie WLB early. Chad can also backup Pierce if need be.

It will be a rookie/veteran thing, not unlike what heppened with Warner/Manning, Emmons/Torbor, Strahan/Umenyiora and what we plan for Madison/Webster

Chad Brown will be able to pass on the benefits of his experience (which is invaluable) to whichever rookie we draft, and will be competing for the starting WLB spot until the rookie develops and adjusts to the NFL.

Not every player can be team focussed enough to help develop the young guy, who was drafted to replace him. Which is why we are targeting Chad Brown and not an experienced veteran such as Peter Boulware, Jamie Sharper, , Nial Diggs, Chris Clairborne, Nate Wayne, Junior Seau, Warren Holdman; or a solid younger guys like Tommy Polley, Keith Adams and Keith Newman

It is worth remebering that while the cream of LBs have been taken in free agency, there are still quite alot of players who still haven't found teams

ESPN Insider LB's still with out a team

LaVar Arrington----LB Released 6-3 255 6 Redskins 80 Expert's Take

Cato June----------- LB RFA 6-0 227 3 Colts 72 Expert's Take

Gary Brackett------ LB RFA 5-11 235 3 Colts 71 Expert's Take

James Davis------- LB RFA 6-2 240 3 Lions 70 Expert's Take

Na'il Diggs--------- LB Released 6-4 240 6 Packers 70 Expert's Take

Brad Kassell------- LB UFA 6-3 242 4 Titans 70 Expert's Take

Keith Adams------- LB UFA 5-11 223 5 Eagles 69 Expert's Take

Hunter Hillenmeyer- LB RFA 6-4 238 3 Bears 69 Expert's Take

Tommy Polley----- LB UFA 6-3 230 5 Ravens 69 Expert's Take

Junior Seau-------- LB Released 6-3 248 16 Dolphins 69 Expert's Take

Peter Boulware---- LB Released 6-4 255 9 Ravens 68 Expert's Take

Nick Greisen------- LB UFA 6-1 245 4 NY Giants 68 Expert's Take

Rob Morris--------- LB UFA 6-2 243 6 Colts 68 Expert's Take

Jamie Sharper----- LB Released 6-3 239 9 Seahawks 68 Expert's Take

Chris Claiborne---- LB Released 6-3 255 7 Rams 67 Expert's Take

Eric Ogbogu-------- LB UFA 6-4 269 8 Cowboys 67 Expert's Take

Antwan Peek------- LB RFA 6-3 238 3 Texans 67 Expert's Take

Orlando Ruff------- LB UFA 6-3 253 7 Browns 67 Expert's Take

Chad Brown------- LB Released 6-2 245 13 Patriots 66 Expert's Take

Keith Newman----- LB UFA 6-2 248 7 Vikings 66 Expert's Take

Brandon Short----- LB Released 6-3 253 6 Panthers 66 Expert's Take

Jeff Gooch---------- LB Released 5-11 226 10 Buccaneers 65 Expert's Take

Vinny Ciurciu------- LB RFA 6-0 235 3 Panthers 64 Expert's Take

Jay Foreman------- LB UFA 6-1 240 7 NY Giants 64 Expert's Take

Jason Glenn-------- LB UFA 6-0 231 5 Dolphins 64 Expert's Take

Barrett Green------ LB Released 6-0 225 6 NY Giants 64 Expert's Take

Gerald Hayes------ LB RFA 6-1 241 3 Cardinals 64 Expert's Take

Warrick Holdman-- LB UFA 6-1 243 7 Redskins 64 Expert's Take

T.J. Slaughter------ LB UFA 6-0 233 6 Saints 64 Expert's Take

DeLawrence Grant- LB UFA 6-3 280 5 Raiders 63 Expert's Take

Marcus Wilkins----- LB UFA 6-2 231 4 Bengals 63 Expert's Take

Rocky Calmus----- LB UFA 6-3 235 4 Colts 62 Expert's Take

Tony Gilbert------- LB RFA 6-1 244 3 Jaguars 62 Expert's Take

Keith O'Neil-------- LB RFA 6-0 240 3 Colts 62 Expert's Take

Saleem Rasheed-- LB UFA 6-2 229 4 49ers 62 Expert's Take

Scott Shanle------- LB RFA 6-2 237 3 Cowboys 62 Expert's Take

Kenyatta Wright-- LB UFA 6-0 240 5 NY Jets 61 Expert's Take

Barry Gardner----- LB Released 6-1 245 7 NY Jets 60 Expert's Take

Zeke Moreno------- LB UFA 6-2 235 4 Eagles 60 Expert's Take

Nate Wayne-------- LB UFA 6-0 237 8 Lions 60 Expert's Take

Tim Johnson-------- LB UFA 6-0 245 4 Raiders 59 Expert's Take

Wesly Mallard------- LB UFA 6-1 230 4 Patriots 59 Expert's Take

Ronald McKinnon---- LB UFA 6-0 246 10 Saints 59 Expert's Take

Matt Wilhelm--------- LB RFA 6-4 245 3 Chargers 59 Expert's Take

Eric Johnson---------- LB UFA 6-0 241 6 Cardinals 57 Expert's Take

I agree Pete !! this signing is a better risk reward ratio than the arrington situation.

I would rather pay brown small money and use his experience for the OLB's we draft than

to take arrington for big money and all the assoicated risk that will come with him.

THis signing isnt about CHad starting, its a great way to kick start the rookies we sign and

move them much faster along.

I think its a good thing and I like this signing if it happens. It means the giants would

rather mold their rookies then to entertain a possible head case (arrington)

great post !

This sort of reminds me of when it appeared Plax was out of our sites and we brought in David Terrell for a visit. We thought this would make for a better signing with more value then Plax but now since we have Plax, who helped out Eli immensely and God knows where Terrell is, I'm pretty happy we got Plax.

Let's stay away from Brown.

At one point in time Carl Banks was one of the best OLB in the game, he made all the tackles, was a smart player and if you have ever heard him speak you would clearly see that he would be a tremedous influence on the younger Giants Lbers, such as Blackburn and Torbor. It does not mean that signing him to a contract would make any sense, same holds true to Chad Brown, you are all in love with the name, look at the facts, he is 35, aging and was let go by a team that just lost Willie McGinest and is in need of some OLB.

here is chad browns value :

the Giants show intrest in him after Arrington dose not sign. (and from what I've read on the net we gave him the highest offer. ) so know where is Arringtons mind set ? the highest offering franchise gave me an offer and I didn't sign so i better do something or I or the postens will price myself out of a job . maybe i better take another look at the Giants offer before the clock strikes midnight.