SportsWrath

Giants Still Interested in Sharper

BronxRik

Report: Multiple teams interested in Sharper

Posted: March 6th, 2010 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: 2010 Free Agency, Chicago Bears, Darren Sharper, Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints, New York Giants

Free-agent safety Darren Sharper is attracting attention from multiple teams. (Paul Jasienski / Associated Press)

At least two teams have been in contact with free-agent safety Darren Sharper, a league source tells Mike Triplett of the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

The Saints remain in contention to bring back the safety, who signed a one-year, $1.7 million contract with the team last offseason but appears to be garnering more interest this time around. Sharper reportedly hasn’t scheduled any visits, perhaps an indication that he’s still trying to negotiate a deal to remain in New Orleans.

Triplett mentions the Bears, Dolphins and Giants as the Saints’ competition for the 34-year-old safety, who tied for the league lead with nine interceptions in 2009.

On Friday night, the Giants signed safety Antrel Rolle to a five-year, $37 million contract. It’s unclear if Rolle’s signing will affect the Giants’ interest in Sharper. As the Giants’ roster currently stands, Rolle would be paired with emerging safety Kenny Phillips, who’s still working his way back from microfracture surgery.

Some more free-agent news from around the Web on Saturday:

* Veteran DE/LB Aaron Kampan, who’s still recovering from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, visited with the Jaguars on Saturday.

* Following their trade for WR Anquan Boldin, the Ravens no longer view Derrick Mason’s return as a priority.

* The 49ers apparently aren’t the only team looking at QB David Carr. The Giants would like him to return as Eli Manning’s backup, and the Browns and Cardinals have expressed interest.

* The Redskins have been relatively quiet so far, but they’re expected to visit with free-agent RB Willie Parker next week. They also are still looking to make some other moves. The team hosted OT Tony Pashos on Friday and will host LB Larry Foote on Monday.

Link

Adding Sharper for 1 season (if the numbers work) wouldn't be a bad idea.....even if Phillips makes it back 100%, it would be nice if he could work himself back gradually.

Regarding of what happens with KP, adding Rolle made a ton of sense.

Adding Sharper for 1 season (if the numbers work) wouldn't be a bad idea.....even if Phillips makes it back 100%, it would be nice if he could work himself back gradually.

Regarding of what happens with KP, adding Rolle made a ton of sense.

I doubt Sharper is going to want another 1 year contract. He's getting old but I am sure a team will give him 2 years...maybe 3.

He would be the modern day version of Everson Walls......two to three good years and he schools the secondary into further excellence. At least he can let Eli know what keys he is giving away that allows him to be intercepted....at least by him.

That's fine, long as he ends up like this:

SI-Giants.jpg

I think Reese might be on to something.......3 good Safties all 3 of which can cover a WR in full flight .....all 3 ballhawks makes up a lot for the turmoil in the front 7

We still need a MLBer though. I am hoping Blackburn gets a real look this year. Last year he was put in when the team had given up.

Baring that they need to pick up a MLBer .....We cannot expect a rookie to come in and play that position....GB and Houston did it last year but those were exceptional rookies

I think Reese might be on to something.......3 good Safties all 3 of which can cover a WR in full flight .....all 3 ballhawks makes up a lot for the turmoil in the front 7

We still need a MLBer though. I am hoping Blackburn gets a real look this year. Last year he was put in when the team had given up.

Baring that they need to pick up a MLBer .....We cannot expect a rookie to come in and play that position....GB and Houston did it last year but those were exceptional rookies

Blackburn is not the answer Jack... let it go.

Blackburn is not the answer Jack... let it go.

he's played well in the past. Given the DC turmoil, and the fact the D line was depleated and no one came to play the last 4-5 games........I still think he deserves a chance

Goff looked horrible.......that experiment is definitely over

What do you want to do?

I'm looking for answers

he's played well in the past. Given the DC turmoil, and the fact the D line was depleated and no one came to play the last 4-5 games........I still think he deserves a chance

Goff looked horrible.......that experiment is definitely over

What do you want to do?

I'm looking for answers

Personally I think the Giants' first pick will be a stud MLB... and I won't rule out trading up to get who they want.