SportsWrath

Granderson to the Yanks

so-cal dub

My first thought about the trade was that we lost out on Halladay because AJ would've been necessary to pry him away from Toronto.

But the more I think about this trade, the more I think that ultimately, the Yanks plan on trading Melky. I think we'll see Gardner platooned with Granderson. Melky might play left field, but I wouldn't be surprised if Damon ends up re-signing and the Yanks pick up DeRosa to be the regular left fielder that gets platooned with Johnny.

Melky has high value in trade and I'm not sure the Yankee's brass are all that thrilled with him.

We might see a Hughes or Joba combined with Melky, and Montero shipped to Toronto to lift Halladay.

Anyway....just speculating here. I think Melky is more likely to be gone than Damon by the time the dust settles.

My first thought about the trade was that we lost out on Halladay because AJ would've been necessary to pry him away from Toronto.

But the more I think about this trade, the more I think that ultimately, the Yanks plan on trading Melky. I think we'll see Gardner platooned with Granderson. Melky might play left field, but I wouldn't be surprised if Damon ends up re-signing and the Yanks pick up DeRosa to be the regular left fielder that gets platooned with Johnny.

Melky has high value in trade and I'm not sure the Yankee's brass are all that thrilled with him.

We might see a Hughes or Joba combined with Melky, and Montero shipped to Toronto to lift Halladay.

Anyway....just speculating here. I think Melky is more likely to be gone than Damon by the time the dust settles.

Montero is on the NO TRADE list. And frankly that would be a really stupid trade. If we dont land Halladay, oh well. Makes no sense to trade our future C away when we have none coming up and none on the bench.

My gawd, man! Tone it down a little! Hughes or Joba combined with Melky, and Montero? Or maybe you want to throw in Cano to cement the deal. Hey, I like Halladay, too, but we hold the upper hand in this, not Toronto. And if Pettitte signs, we won't even need him. Besides, save some for the other guys. If we don't have any competition, it becomes one long boring season.

On the other hand, I agree with you about Melky being on the trading block, but only if we can sign Bay or Holiday. Even if we do sign Damon, he has leg issues, and if, or more probably when he goes down, it would leave us with only Grandy, Gardner, and Swisher. Melky might be a little bit of a let down, but at least he shows up every day. He's like a bulldog.

Montero is on the NO TRADE list. And frankly that would be a really stupid trade. If we dont land Halladay, oh well. Makes no sense to trade our future C away when we have none coming up and none on the bench.

I've heard the same thing for the last 35 years about certain stud minor league players the Yankees would never trade....just before they trade them. For the most part, the Yankees farm system is used to develop trade bait for proven players even though every once in a great while, they hold on to a guy that pans out like Jeter, Mo, and Jorge.

No doubt, Montero is a great hitting catcher, but very much unproven as a defensive catcher or good at controlling pitchers. When the Yankees eventually replace Jorge, there will be a lot more emphasis on his defensive abilities and how he works with the pitchers.

Francisco Cervelli (23 yrs old) has shown that he can be a damn good catcher in the bigs. I don't think Montero could knock Cervelli out of the "catcher-in-waiting", not to mention, most analysts see Montero (19 yrs old) as a future first bagger rather than working behind the plate.

Not to mention, that Cervelli is a switch hitter, while Montero is strictly a right handed batter. And the Yankees just love switch hitters.

Time will tell.

No doubt, Montero is a great hitting catcher, but very much unproven as a defensive catcher or good at controlling pitchers. When the Yankees eventually replace Jorge, there will be a lot more emphasis on his defensive abilities and how he works with the pitchers.

The Yanks catcher in waiting currently plays for the Twins BB :)

C. Wagon

The Yanks catcher in waiting currently plays for the Twins BB :)

C. Wagon

That is my dream, but I read a month ago that the Twins were trying to hammer out a long term contract with him. Although, it has fallen through and he has told them that if a deal isn't worked out by spring training, he's going the free agent route. Hopefully, he will refuse to sign it as he will bring A-Rod/Texeira type money next year....and it could be on a winning team! Maybe even a uniform with pinstripes on it :rock:

Deal is reportedly done.

I like it. He is a significant upgrade in the outfield.

I always felt Melky Cabrera was a damn good center fielder. Granderson may be an upgrade in hitting and I guess it makes their outfield stronger. Damon wants ridiculous money-whoever signs him for 4 years at 13 mill is nuts.

Austin Romine will be the Yankees next starting catcher if they dont sign Mauer. Romine is great defeinsively and he can hit...not like Montero, but there arent many minor leaguers who can hit like Montero. The thing with Montero, is he will not be a catcher with the yankees. He really doesnt have a position...cant move him to first base because we have Tex. And he isnt athletic enough for the outfield, He is a DH and thats it.