SportsWrath

O'Hara's Magic Penalty

fishgutmartyr

Unbelievable.

NY Giants' center Shaun O'Hara fined $5,000 for illegal clip against New Orleans Saints

By Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

October 23, 2009, 4:33PM

Giants center Shaun O'Hara said the holding penalty that negated a touchdown in Sunday's loss to the Saints was a "terrible call."

Well, I'm sure he thinks the fine he received was terrible as well.

O'Hara was fined $5,000 for his actions on the play. But the league changed the illegal act from holding to clipping.

O'Hara didn't address reporters since he received notification of the fine. Someone who spoke to him in the past couple of days said he will appeal the ruling.

Now it goes beyond bullshit.

Clipping: Throwing the body across the back of an opponent’s leg or hitting him from the back below the waist while moving up from behind unless the opponent is a runner or the action is in close line play.

Close Line Play: The area between the positions normally occupied by the offensive tackles, extending three yards on each side of the line of scrimmage. It is legal to clip above the knee.

Is there actually some footage? I can't follow the link from work.

o fine for RB Brandon Jacobs' taking a boxing stance after DT Remi Ayodele threw him to the ground. No punches were thrown and the league didn't consider the threat of violence to be worthy of a fine.

which reminds me, anyone see jacobs make a saints cheerleader pee her pants in the first Quarter? :rolleyes:

He had a big run, ended on the Saints sideline, and seemingly charged at tiny white cheerleaders while screaming. Predictably the tiny white cheerleaders ran away from him screaming.

exactly right. funny shit- don't know why that didn't make the highlights.

Clipping: Throwing the body across the back of an opponent’s leg or hitting him from the back below the waist while moving up from behind unless the opponent is a runner or the action is in close line play.

Close Line Play: The area between the positions normally occupied by the offensive tackles, extending three yards on each side of the line of scrimmage. It is legal to clip above the knee.

Is there actually some footage? I can't follow the link from work.

I saw the play...it might have been considered clipping back in the day before linemen could extend their arms...but in this day and age of choke holds by O lineman....you have got to be kidding me.

He had a big run, ended on the Saints sideline, and seemingly charged at tiny white cheerleaders while screaming. Predictably the tiny white cheerleaders ran away from him screaming.

I bet they came running back after the game though....just thinking... :smartass:

From the 2 botched Giant's defensive TDs that were called back (one we didn't even get possession on and should have) to the fumble recovery of Eli Manning and SUBSEQUENT FUMBLE by the recovering player (regardless if it's touchback Giants ball or safety, NO ball) this past Sunday, to the helmet to helmet fine for Vilma....the officiating and the league are getting to be laughingstocks.

There have been some plays in games that I've watched with my girlfriend that even SHE could see what the correct call should be, and she's watching from the comfort of her own home, not 3 feet away from the play. I honestly think that officials in the league are too old. It's a lot to cognitively interpret and those skills decline with age. There's a lot of stuff that officials have to try to see and process all at once and honestly, there have been times when millions and millions of fans watching live knew the correct call (ex, the Oakland strip and TD return) and the officials botched it by blowing the whistle too fast. Those guys need to surgically remove their whistles, let the guys play, and call penalties when there are penalties, not when they think there was a penalty (in the case of O Hara).

To me, this fine comes off more as protecting and backing their officials than anything O'Hara actually did. It's obvious that there is no visual evidence, O'Hara simply stated how it was a phantom penalty. I think that's more what got him the fine than anything else. He publicly criticized the officiating...