SportsWrath

53 man roster not finalised yet

BigPete

The final 53 man roster is not set in stone yet, there will be a bit of tweaking over the next week or so.

Firstly I think there will likely be trades, in this case a LB and perhaps a WR (likely for future draft picks).

I think 9 LBs and perhaps 7 WRs is too many particularly when you will have 8 players inactive on game day.

I think it is a case of Reese wanting to make sure he gets value for these guys with talent, he isn't going to five them away.

There are a few positions the Giants will want to upgrade if the opportunity presenrs itself. I think they will ideally want to bring in another DB, perhaps a safety like Brian Pollard (Chiefs) or Courtney Greene (Seahawks) who will improve safety depth and provide a valuable special teams role.

Other positions that the Front office will look to upgrade if possible are #4 DE (Tollefsen), #5 DT (Douzable) and #3 TE (Johnson); in fact we are reportedly already bringing in TE Alex Smith (Pats/Bucs) for a visit, I think he would be a great fit for us.

Other guys we may be looking at include DE Tim Crowder (Broncos) and DT Shaun Smith (Lions/Browns)

we could also include trading for players (instad of picks), for example Chiefs DE Tamba Hali who is better as a 4-3 DE rather than a 3-4 OLB.

I guess my ideal roster moves would be

Trade LB Gerris Wilkinson to the for DE Tamba Hali (Chiefs) (who isn't a great fit for their new 3-4)

Sign DT Shaun Smith (Lions)

Sign SS Brian Pollard (Chiefs)

Sign TE Alex Smith (Patriots)

release Tutan Reyes (initially thought a WR, but think Reyes; the WRs have more value to team and Boothe, Whimper, Koets and Beatty is enough OL depth)

we also have to allow for Boley becoming active after week 1

that would give the Giants a roster something like:

Offense (26)

QB (2): Eli Manning, David Carr

RB (3): Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, Danny Ware

FB (1): Madison Hedgecock

WR (7): Domenik Hixon, Steve Smith, Mario Manningham, Sinorice Moss, Hakeem Nicks, Ramses Barden, Derek Hagan

TE (3): Kevin Boss, Darcy Johnson, Alex Smith, Travis Beckum

OL (9 10): Shaun O'Hara, Chris Snee, Rich Seubert, Kareem McKenzie, David Diehl, Kevin Boothe, Tutan Reyes, Guy Whimper, Adam Koets, Will Beatty

Defense (25)

DL (9): Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Fred Robbins, Barry Cofield, Mathias Kiwanuka, Chris Canty, Rocky Bernard, Dave Tollefson, Leger Douzable, Tamba Hali, Shaun Smith

LB (8): Antonio Pierce, Danny Clark, Chase Blackburn, Michael Boley, Gerris Wilkinson, Clint Sintim, Zak DeOssie, Jonathan Goff, Bryan Kehl

DB (8 9): Corey Webster, Aaron Ross, Michael Johnson, Kenny Phillips, Kevin Dockery, Terrell Thomas, C.C. Brown, Brian Pollard, Bruce Johnson

Special Teams (2)

K (1): Lawrence Tynes

P (1): Jeff Feagles

I guess my ideal roster moves would be

Trade LB Gerris Wilkinson to the for DE Tamba Hali (Chiefs) (who isn't a great fit for their new 3-4)

Sign DT Shaun Smith (Lions)

Sign SS Brian Pollard (Chiefs)

Sign TE Alex Smith (Patriots)

release Tutan Reyes (initially thought a WR, but think Reyes; the WRs have more value to team and Boothe, Whimper, Koets and Beatty is enough OL depth)

we also have to allow for Boley becoming active after week 1

that would give the Giants a roster something like:

Offense (26)

QB (2): Eli Manning, David Carr

RB (3): Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, Danny Ware

FB (1): Madison Hedgecock

WR (7): Domenik Hixon, Steve Smith, Mario Manningham, Sinorice Moss, Hakeem Nicks, Ramses Barden, Derek Hagan

TE (3): Kevin Boss, Darcy Johnson, Alex Smith, Travis Beckum

OL (9 10): Shaun O'Hara, Chris Snee, Rich Seubert, Kareem McKenzie, David Diehl, Kevin Boothe, Tutan Reyes, Guy Whimper, Adam Koets, Will Beatty

Defense (25)

DL (9): Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Fred Robbins, Barry Cofield, Mathias Kiwanuka, Chris Canty, Rocky Bernard, Dave Tollefson, Leger Douzable, Tamba Hali, Shaun Smith

LB (8): Antonio Pierce, Danny Clark, Chase Blackburn, Michael Boley, Gerris Wilkinson, Clint Sintim, Zak DeOssie, Jonathan Goff, Bryan Kehl

DB (8 9): Corey Webster, Aaron Ross, Michael Johnson, Kenny Phillips, Kevin Dockery, Terrell Thomas, C.C. Brown, Brian Pollard, Bruce Johnson

Special Teams (2)

K (1): Lawrence Tynes

P (1): Jeff Feagles

I disagree with dumping Tollefson in lieu of Hali or Smith. Tollefson knows the Giants system and has been solid in games and had a good preseason. It's those lunch pail guys like Tollefson who get little credit while coming in off the bench and playing solid ball while giving the starters a breather. Nobody that we bring in will start in front of Tuck, Robbins/Canty, Cofield, Osi. So proven backups are very important. I wouldn't mess with the D-Line as it is.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Giants pick up Pollard, but that's about all.

I disagree with dumping Tollefson in lieu of Hali or Smith. Tollefson knows the Giants system and has been solid in games and had a good preseason. It's those lunch pail guys like Tollefson who get little credit while coming in off the bench and playing solid ball while giving the starters a breather. Nobody that we bring in will start in front of Tuck, Robbins/Canty, Cofield, Osi. So proven backups are very important. I wouldn't mess with the D-Line as it is.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Giants pick up Pollard, but that's about all.

I'm extremely pleased Tolefson was retained.......he just keeps getting better and better

who knows the ultimate potential of this guy

I knew I would get some discussion happening :)

this is just my opinion.

I think Tollefsen is solid, but he is certainly nothing special. I think this is a spot we could upgrade.

TambiHali (for example) is a proven player who can start in the NFL (In 3 years he has 170 tackles, 18.5 sacks, 5 Pass Def and 6 FF on a very ordinary Chiefs defense). He is a guy we could work into a legitimate 4 player rotation at DE. This is not unlike what we planned at DT with Robbins, Cofield, Canty, Alford and Bernard.

Shaun Smith might be something of a simlar player to Alford

Alex Smith would be a very usefull TE option and special teamer.

Smith and Hali both have ties to the NY area

I could see them hunting a additional safety or just replacing CC Brown. That guy sucks.

I think they will add a safety

the last few years we have gone with 10 DBs (6:4 or 5:5 CB to S ratio)

preferably someone who can compete with Brown behind Johnson and Phillips

I don't get it. Tollefson has made plays for us... he puts on his hardhat and just goes to work. He's a good football player. Anyway, we're talking about our 4th DE here. We do NOT want a rotation where the 4th DE gets a lot of reps. Maybe a couple of snaps a game, when the starters need a quick breather. But give me Tuck and Umenyiora as much as possible. Kiwanuka will be in the rotation and play at end on third downs when Tuck moves inside, but there is no reason to go and get a quasi-starter from another team for a 4th DE. Tollefson is quite good enough, thank you.

I don't get it. Tollefson has made plays for us... he puts on his hardhat and just goes to work. He's a good football player. Anyway, we're talking about our 4th DE here. We do NOT want a rotation where the 4th DE gets a lot of reps. Maybe a couple of snaps a game, when the starters need a quick breather. But give me Tuck and Umenyiora as much as possible. Kiwanuka will be in the rotation and play at end on third downs when Tuck moves inside, but there is no reason to go and get a quasi-starter from another team for a 4th DE. Tollefson is quite good enough, thank you.

I dont understand why people want another DE as well, Tollefson is a really good back up DE for us who comes in and gives it his all. Not to mention we have Sintim who looks like he will be putting his hand in the dirt on third downs, so I really dont see why everyone thinks we need another DE with Kiwi/Canty/Tollefson/Sintim who all can backup Osi and Tuck.