SportsWrath

Why Rookies shouldn't hire family as "advisors"

Treehugger

Crabtree Prepared To Sit Out Season

Brent Musburger on the news that Michael Crabtree might sit out the season and re-enter the draft

San Francisco 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree is prepared to sit out this season and re-enter the NFL draft in 2010, David Wells, Crabtree's cousin and adviser, said Thursday.

"We are prepared to do it," Wells said. "Michael just wants fair-market value. They took him with the 10th pick and you have Darrius Heyward-Bey [the seventh overall pick by the Oakland Raiders] getting $38 million? This week is crucial. Michael was one of the best players in the draft and he just wants to be paid like one of the best players. This week is very crucial."

However, Crabtree's agent told ESPN.com that no such threat has been made on his part.

Addressing the report, agent Eugene Parker told ESPN.com on Thursday afternoon: "You've known me a long time and I'm not a guy who makes threats. Nor am I a guy who negotiates in the public. I don't know where this came from but no such threat has been made."

Wells said he believes the Niners have made an offer but that it is not acceptable. Wells said Crabtree is ready to start practicing and was held out of OTAs this spring by coaches only for precautionary reasons.

Crabtree, who turns 22 next month, also missed the 49ers' offseason minicamps and their organized team activities while recovering from a foot injury but was a regular presence at team headquarters for rehabilitation and strengthening workouts.

Crabtree caught 97 passes for 1,165 yards and 19 touchdowns last year during his sophomore season at Texas Tech. He finished his collegiate career with 231 receptions, 3,127 yards and 41 TDs.

And not Giants related. Sorry, Tree.

It's about the perils of signing first-round draft picks, a process we just navigated, therefore it relates. It also means he may be back on the table next season, which relates.

Fuck it, where am I supposed to put non-Giants NFL shit? "Everything Sports"? The set up for these forums is stupid.

The ball is in the 49ers court, really. If he sits out, he gets no money- he can't work out with any team next year before the draft.

So he can't change his reputation as a little slow, he cements his reputation as a diva receiva- there's no way he goes close to 10th pick next year

so he'll end up with much less. You can't be paid based on mock drafts. If you think you deserve to be top 5, prove it on the field and the money will come.

When Bo did it, he had a baseball contract- not to mention nike.

It's about the perils of signing first-round draft picks, a process we just navigated, therefore it relates. It also means he may be back on the table next season, which relates.

Fuck it, where am I supposed to put non-Giants NFL shit? "Everything Sports"? The set up for these forums is stupid.

LOL, you have tie it in somehow then in your initial post or title. "Crabtree could sit out entire season, on Giants radar for 2010?" LOL.

A lot of times these non-Giants topics go into GD.

Anywho, dude better sign. The opportunity cost of sitting out completely negates any perceived benefit he thinks he might get next year.