SportsWrath

Beckum Signed

Mr. P

09_0626_beckum.jpg

Giants sign TE Beckum

By Michael Eisen, Giants.com

Take this story to go! - RSS | Podcast | Mobile

JUNE 29, 2009

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - The Giants have another draft choice in the fold.

The team today announced that it has signed Travis Beckum, the second of their two third-round selections in this year’s NFL Draft. Beckum, a 6-3, 239-pound tight end from Wisconsin, was the 100th overall choice in the draft.

He is the fifth of the Giants’ nine draft choices to sign a contract, joining wide receiver Ramses Barden (the other third-round selection), quarterback Rhett Bomar (fifth round) and cornerbacks DeAndre Wright and Stoney Woodson, who were taken in the sixth and seventh rounds, respectively.

To make room on the roster for Beckum, the Giants waived rookie Alex Field, a free agent defensive end from Virginia.

Beckum played linebacker and defensive end in this first season with the Badgers before switching to tight end. In three years on offense, Beckum played in 30 games with 20 starts and caught 159 passes for 2,149 yards (13.5-yard avg.) and 11 touchdowns. His 159 catches rank third in school history behind Lee Evans (175, 1999-2003) and Brandon Williams (202, 2002-05) and broke the previous Wisconsin tight end record of 121 catches by Pat Richter (1960-62). Beckum’s 75 receptions in 2007 tied Evans (2001) for the school season-record.

Last year, Beckum was a preseason first-team All-America but was limited to six games and four starts because of a fractured left fibula suffered in the Illinois game, an injury that required surgery. He still caught 23 passes for 264 yards.

http://www.giants.com/news/headlines/story...?story_id=37888

oh I thought we had a new kicker :(

You know, that's not quite as crazy as it sounds. David Beckham has one of the best penalty kicks in the game, is looking at the last stretch of his professional soccer career, a strong desire to be celebrity in America and has the type of ego that would want to keep him in the spotlight in any capacity, even if it meant a severe paycut.

Could be worth a shot.

You know, that's not quite as crazy as it sounds. David Beckham has one of the best penalty kicks in the game, is looking at the last stretch of his professional soccer career, a strong desire to be celebrity in America and has the type of ego that would want to keep him in the spotlight in any capacity, even if it meant a severe paycut.

Could be worth a shot.

Very interesting thought.....hmmmm. But can he kick an oblong ball? I bet he could.

If you've seen the kind of touch and control he can put on a ball I'd think you'd agree that he could pick it up pretty quickly.

You think the Giants would actually do that? Not saying that Beckham has alot of baggage, but

what happens if he gets hit...do you think he'd get on a stretcher....and just never get up?

You think the Giants would actually do that? Not saying that Beckham has alot of baggage, but

what happens if he gets hit...do you think he'd get on a stretcher....and just never get up?

As a soccer player he'd be safely on the ground before actual contact was made.

As a soccer player he'd be safely on the ground before actual contact was made.

rimshot.gif

this should be added to our smileys so i dont have to keep copying and pasting it as a pic

which i will do if its not added

rimshot.gif

this should be added to our smileys so i dont have to keep copying and pasting it as a pic

which i will do if its not added

Agreed. Then I can link it to www.instantrimshot.com and all will be right in the world.

We signed David Beckum?

We'll I"m sure he can kickem better better than Tynes

wait a minute

dosent Beckum Bend'em? Another Tynes no doubt

what I loved about Carney was that his kicks never curled......straight as an arrow every one

We signed David Beckum?

We'll I"m sure he can kickem better better than Tynes

wait a minute

dosent Beckum Bend'em? Another Tynes no doubt

what I loved about Carney was that his kicks never curled......straight as an arrow every one

except for the ones he missed in the playoffs when it mattered

I got a look at the numbers for TE Travis Beckum's contract. It's a four-year deal worth a total of $2.363 million with a $613,000 signing bonus. He has an escalator in 2012 from $565,000 to $1.308 million if he reaches a 30% playing-time clip in any two of his first three seasons.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/07...ons_new_yo.html

except for the ones he missed in the playoffs when it mattered

ok so the two Tynes missed in Green Bay were ok by you

Ok I like that kind of thinking, very sporting of you.......guy makes the pro bowl, hits about 40 in a row and you want to hang him over one bad game.

To my way of thinking if we had beaten Philly we would have lost the next game

It wasnt our year.....not really anything to do with Eli or the WRs......more the injuries to the Dline and specifically Tuck playing injured the last 6-8 games, which was caused by all the double and triple teaming he was seeing all year

everyone wants to make Philly a SB challenger and the best team in the NFC East now. Uh WRONG

They beat a very depleated Giants team. Superman will return, and we will be NFC East champs once more

Philly is now or greatest threat, I'll grant you but they have to win it on the field against a now much stronger Giants team than last year (except for the erratic Tynes)

Ok I like that kind of thinking, very sporting of you.......guy makes the pro bowl, hits about 40 in a row and you want to hang him over one bad game.

It wasnt our year.....not really anything to do with Eli or the WRs......more the injuries to the Dline and specifically Tuck playing injured the last 6-8 games, which was caused by all the double and triple teaming he was seeing all year

everyone wants to make Philly a SB challenger and the best team in the NFC East now. Uh WRONG

They beat a very depleated Giants team. Superman will return, and we will be NFC East champs once more

Philly is now or greatest threat, I'll grant you but they have to win it on the field against a now much stronger Giants team than last year (except for the erratic Tynes)

Carney was very accurate... from 40 yards out and shorter. There's no way he makes the longer kicks, and the team has to sacrifice field position or carry two kickers because he doesn't do well on kickoffs. We should want a little more from our kicker than the ability to make a 35 yarder consistently. Most kickers in the NFL can do that... even Tynes.

Carney was very accurate... from 40 yards out and shorter. There's no way he makes the longer kicks, and the team has to sacrifice field position or carry two kickers because he doesn't do well on kickoffs. We should want a little more from our kicker than the ability to make a 35 yarder consistently. Most kickers in the NFL can do that... even Tynes.

better recheck those stats.....Carney was doing fine from 40-52

look were going with Tynes for now......he has my backing

I hope he works the kinks out and becomes a reliable kicker, perhaps a year of rest made him a better kicker

someone put it best last year when he said "I could get up and go get a beer when Carney kicked a FG.....no way I could ever leave my seat with Tynes"

if he starts yanking them all over the place in Pre-season look for Coughlin to quickly make a change

better recheck those stats.....Carney was doing fine from 40-52

look were going with Tynes for now......he has my backing

I hope he works the kinks out and becomes a reliable kicker, perhaps a year of rest made him a better kicker

someone put it best last year when he said "I could get up and go get a beer when Carney kicked a FG.....no way I could ever leave my seat with Tynes"

if he starts yanking them all over the place in Pre-season look for Coughlin to quickly make a change

Better recheck your memory. The only 50 yard plus fg Tom even let him try was IN Minnesota... in the dome, off the turf. Why do you think that is, Jack? Did we not have any other 4th downs from the opponents' 33 to 40 yards or so the rest of the 16 games? In fact, Carney didn't have many 40 yard attempts, either. Tom didn't let him kick that many because he didn't have any confidence in him MAKING THEM. Tom only let Carney attempt 8 FG's all year from 40+. Not counting the playoff game, where he missed twice from 40-49. Carney was 6 for 8 from 40+ last season. 4 of those attempts were in a dome. Another one was in Dallas. This is no coincidence. Coughlin has no confidence in him making it from 40+, which is why Carney had only 4 attempts at home from 40+ all season (again, not counting the 2 playoff misses).

i didnt say that, nor did i imply that. but im not the one that said all his kicks never curled and were all straight as an arrow and then specified "every one" . stop trying to put words in my mouth, or in this case "fingers on my keyboard"(?)