SportsWrath

Jorge Posada did not forget how to catch/call a game/throw

I agree that he isnt the greatest catcher, but all this talk about him being a horrible game caller ect is just ridiculous.

First of all, the yankees won 3 world series with Posada as their starting catcher. Did he suddenly forget how to play the position?

A catchers job is exactly what the position title says...its to stop, or catch the ball so it doesnt go to the back stop and yes, to throw runners out...which is where he lacks a bit. A catcher does not call the pitches, thats a huge misconception. A catcher suggests a pitch, then the pitcher says yes, or he shakes him off. Ulitmately, its the pitchers decision and responsibility to execute the pitch...unless of course its a rookie/young pitcher then the catcher might be more influentual, but ultimately, its the pitcher that has the final decision on what he is going to throw.

Also, having having Jorge at the catcher position is a HUGE advantage. He is an elite bat, like top 3 elite, for his position and gives the yankees much needed flexibility at the dh spot. Having Jorge not catch hurts the yankees offense tremendously. I cannot stress enough how much better he makes the yankees offense when he catches...its night and day.

Bottom line is Jorge Posada did not forget how to catch and if the yankees want to field the best team that they can, its with Jorge behind the plate.

Since you apparently thought your opinion warranted its own topic and not post in reply to what you clearly are replying to, I'll just repost here.

Posada behind the plate: 5.47 era (excluding Wang starts)

Anyone else: 3.81

Burnett with Posada catching: .330 OBA

Burnett with anyone else: .223 OBA

No one is trying to deny Posada's offensive abilities, or his past exploits, but today his best place isn't behind the plate for the majority of games. If he wants to catch fine but he can no longer be considered the #1 catcher who gets the vast majority of starts. Cervelli shouldn't be catching one game a week.

Yes it is the pitcher who commits to a pitch and has to execute it, but there has to be a mental element involved when you see so many pitchers shaking off what Posada wants. How does it impact the pitcher when they seem to continually be in conflict with the catcher as to what will be thrown?

Since you apparently thought your opinion warranted its own topic and not post in reply to what you clearly are replying to, I'll just repost here.

Posada behind the plate: 5.47 era (excluding Wang starts)

Anyone else: 3.81

Burnett with Posada catching: .330 OBA

Burnett with anyone else: .223 OBA

No one is trying to deny Posada's offensive abilities, or his past exploits, but today his best place isn't behind the plate for the majority of games. If he wants to catch fine but he can no longer be considered the #1 catcher who gets the vast majority of starts. Cervelli shouldn't be catching one game a week.

Yes it is the pitcher who commits to a pitch and has to execute it, but there has to be a mental element involved when you see so many pitchers shaking off what Posada wants. How does it impact the pitcher when they seem to continually be in conflict with the catcher as to what will be thrown?

Yeah, AJ Burnett got hammered by a very good Boston team twice with Jorge behind the plate, Im sure those 2 starts inflated his OBA with Posada...clearly it was Jorges fault that Burnett sucked in those 2 outings and ouldnt throw strikes. And how about the times this season where Andy Pettitte has said after getting shellacked that he himself was terrible and he had nothing. Again, it must have been Posadas fault. come on Lubeck, youre smarter than that. Oh and Jason Vagitek goes to the mound more than any catcher Ive ever seen..at least 20 times a game, and the boston pitching staff doesnt seem to have a problem pitching to him.

Ask Mariano Rivera what he thinks about Posada's ability to focus a pitcher.

Again, the Yankees are a MUCH better team with Posada behind the plate. Its not his fault if the pitchers dont execute once in a while...and Posada did miss some time, Im sure the OBA and ERA numbers will even out over the course of the season; its been a pretty small sample size considering how many games they play.

Yeah, AJ Burnett got hammered by a very good Boston team twice with Jorge behind the plate, Im sure those 2 starts inflated his OBA with Posada...clearly it was Jorges fault that Burnett sucked in those 2 outings and ouldnt throw strikes. And how about the times this season where Andy Pettitte has said after getting shellacked that he himself was terrible and he had nothing. Again, it must have been Posadas fault. come on Lubeck, youre smarter than that. Oh and Jason Vagitek goes to the mound more than any catcher Ive ever seen..at least 20 times a game, and the boston pitching staff doesnt seem to have a problem pitching to him.

Ask Mariano Rivera what he thinks about Posada's ability to focus a pitcher.

Again, the Yankees are a MUCH better team with Posada behind the plate. Its not his fault if the pitchers dont execute once in a while...and Posada did miss some time, Im sure the OBA and ERA numbers will even out over the course of the season; its been a pretty small sample size considering how many games they play.

Did you see how many times,friday night that Joba was shaking off the signs. Thats not Posadas fault?

Did you see how many times,friday night that Joba was shaking off the signs. Thats not Posadas fault?

actually I didnt see the game, but like I said in my original post, a catcher should only call a game with a young or rookie pitcher and even then, its still up to the pitcher to execute....thats Joba's fault, not Jorges. And Joba even admitted to it...saying "I shouldnt think so much, when I think it gets me in trouble"

I agree that Jorge calls a fine game, but there are ways to call good games, if there wasn't why would some pitchers have personal catchers? Moose only wanted Molina to catch him last year if I remember correctly and Maddux always had a PC as well.

I dont know about Maddux, but from what Ive heard and read, Mussina wasnt exactly the easiest guy to get along with and with a strong willed guy like Jorge, I could see why they didnt mesh...but that doesnt mean that Jorge isnt a good catcher/calls a good game ect. Like Ive been saying, it is 100% on the pitcher to make the call and execute.

actually I didnt see the game, but like I said in my original post, a catcher should only call a game with a young or rookie pitcher and even then, its still up to the pitcher to execute....thats Joba's fault, not Jorges. And Joba even admitted to it...saying "I shouldnt think so much, when I think it gets me in trouble"

Joba definently overthinks, but its Jorges job to calm him down instead of just confusing the kid even more like he was friday night

Throwing out runners is a little overrated in terms of judging a guys ability. Pudge threw out around 45 % at his best. It's mostly on the pitcher to keep the guy close and from getting a great jump. Salty has made leaps and bounds defensivly, including throwing to second, but if Millwod is on themound, he won't have a chance to throw a guy out.

• 2 months later...

You want to fix Burnett for the play offs? Give him to Molina or Cervelli the rest of the season.

Yeah becuase AJ Burnett hasnt had control and command issues his entire career...its the main reason why he isnt the best pitcher in baseball...becuase he is a stubborn guy who blows up at times and lets games get away from him, thats who AJ Burnett is...How about when Molina caught him against Texas last week? He was cruising, struck out 12 in 6 innings when it was all said and done...BUT if you look into what exactly happened, it will tell you all you need to know about AJ Burnett...he struck out 9 in 4 innings, then with the score 0-0, he walked the number 8 hitter, then walked the number 9 hitter..then gives up a 3 run HR to Ian Kinsler. So, was the horrible pitching that inning Molinas fault? Of course not.

Burnett looked awful again yesterday.

But here are some facts:

Burnett was 9-3 with a 2.59 ERA and a .220 opponents batting average in his 12 starts prior to when he got lit up in Fenway last week. Posada caught 10 of those games including 7.1 scoreless innings against the Red Sox at Yankees Stadium on Aug. 7. Do those games not count?

Clearly its the pitcher not the catcher when it comes to AJ Burnett. To say otherwise is not only completely worng, but its foolish.

he sure did..he actually forgot what the count was twice.

Burnett sucks no matter whos behind the plate and he can shove a hot iron up his ass for blaming Po.

Since he made that remark, what is he...0-3 and STILL pitching like shit? Fuck Burnett.