SportsWrath

Rhett Bomar?

Nesta

I doubt it. I bet they've got the 3rd spot in mind for him til next year.

He's actually a great prospect.

Keep in mind, Cleveland is looking for a new QB and has been stockpiling WRs. I certainly dont think we make the Braylon trade now, but this does make you think.

2008 season

Bomar started all 10 games in 2008 for Sam Houston State as the Bearkats went 4-6 on the season. Bomar completed his college career as Sam Houston's all-time leader in passing with 5,564 yards in 19 games and career leader in total offense with 6,159 yards. He is a two-time All-Southland Conference selection and ended the 2008 season ranked No. 2 in NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision total offense (354.2 yards per game) and No. 4 in passing offense (335.5 yards per contest).

Bomar passed for more than 300 yards in nine games during his Bearkat career. He threw for passes of more than 50 yards 10 times including a long of 80 yards. He is one of only 11 players in NCAA FCS history to throw for more than 300 yards and rush for more than 100 yards in a single game (against North Dakota State in 2007).

He was also selected as a finalist for the Walter Payton Award given to the top player in the Football Championship Subdivision.

Bomar's one year starting at OU:

Bomar enrolled at Oklahoma, where he spent the 2004 season redshirting on the scout team. The following season, Bomar was named Freshman All-American third-team by The Sporting News, Academic All-Big 12 Conference first-team and honorable mention All-Big 12, as he started 11 contests for the Sooners. The Holiday Bowl MVP hit on 167 of 308 passes (54.22 percent) for a school freshman single-season record 2,018 yards, 10 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He also scored four times while generating 184 yards on 89 carries (2.1 avg).

he does, but his accuracy isnt too good. I cant imagine that changing in the wind either.

He's definately a long term project, but he's got all the tools to be a good backup. Especially with a good supporting cast.

His accuracy is about the same as Eli's.

Call it what it is... a wasted pick. All this "long term project" talk is silly, really. He's not going to be our starting QB, probably EVER, and at least for this next year we have David Carr as the backup, and Bomar sure as shit ain't beating him for that job either. So why did we draft a clipboard holder in the 5th fucking round? Bomar probably isn't going to be better than Woodson, and if he's not he'll just be on the practice squad. Sure, I'm only talking about 2009 here, and Carr will be gone, but do you think that Bomar is going to be our 2nd string in 2010? No. They are not going to allow that. They will sign another mediocre vet to a min deal to the be the backup.

So again I say... waste of a pick. Up until that pick I have no gripe, great job drafting, JR and TC. But Bomar here? Could've gone towards players THAT ACTUALLY MIGHT HELP THE TEAM THIS YEAR AND LONG TERM, particularly at MLB, S, G, C, or K.

Call it what it is... a wasted pick. All this "long term project" talk is silly, really. He's not going to be our starting QB, probably EVER, and at least for this next year we have David Carr as the backup, and Bomar sure as shit ain't beating him for that job either. So why did we draft a clipboard holder in the 5th fucking round? Bomar probably isn't going to be better than Woodson, and if he's not he'll just be on the practice squad. Sure, I'm only talking about 2009 here, and Carr will be gone, but do you think that Bomar is going to be our 2nd string in 2010? No. They are not going to allow that. They will sign another mediocre vet to a min deal to the be the backup.

So again I say... waste of a pick. Up until that pick I have no gripe, great job drafting, JR and TC. But Bomar here? Could've gone towards players THAT ACTUALLY MIGHT HELP THE TEAM THIS YEAR AND LONG TERM, particularly at MLB, S, G, C, or K.

I don't think so. Our staff know they're not gonna keep Carr another year, and I suspect with this pick they're just not seeing what they want out of Woodson. Bohmar will come in to groom behind Carr this year and take that role next year.

Not a wasted pick if they don't have confidence in AW.