SportsWrath

Plaxico

Lughead

April 5, 2009

Plax e-mails in his thanks

Plaxico Burress hasn’t said anything publicly about shooting himself in the thigh, ruining the Giants’ 2008 season, his subsequent suspension, nor his release. But he did take time from his busy schedule to say one thing:

Thanks.

The 31-year-old Burress sent an e-mail to ESPN saying thank you to both the Giants organization, his now-former teammates, and his many fans. It contained no statement of remorse, nor any explanation. He just wanted to say “I appreciate the love.”

“First of all I wanna thank the organization for allowing me to be a NYG, John Mara, Jerry Reese, Steve Tisch and Ernie Accorsi who is no longer there who was responsible for me to become a Giant,” Burress wrote in the e-mail to ESPN. “I wanna thank Ronnie Barnes and the whole training staff [go state]. I wanna thank my teammates for being so supportive of me and my family. We did and accomplished great things together. I wish you guys the best!

“And to the fans who I will miss the most for embracing me from day one. It’s nothing like walking in Giants Stadium on Sundays and seeing all the #17 jerseys. Thank u NJ and NY for being so good to me. I appreciate the love!! Thanks for all the prayers and letters.”

Burress, by the way, couldn’t have been too broken up about his release from the Giants, because one day later he was at Ford Field in Detroit to cheer on his Michigan State Spartans in the NCAA Final Four. He declined most questions when approached by reporters, except to say “I feel great.”

By Ralph Vacchiano on April 5, 2009 9:56 AM

:puke:

Why should anyone feel bad for this fucktard? Sure he was a great target for Eli but really that is about all he was...a target. He was NOT a Fitz or ( :puke: ) TO. He was not a gamechanging receiver....never was. I really think people overrate his ability and importance.

Well strike that I think fans overrate him. Clearly other teams put a great deal of emphasis in stopping him given the dramatic drop in offensive productivity once he was gone. But whether he was injured or not he never put up great numbers. Plax was one of those kind of receivers where he was on the borderline of greatness. If you left him 1v1 he would dominate you. But if you gameplanned against him and took him out of the game he was not a factor at all.

Plax was a game changing WR as his ability to make plays in the red zone(green zone as the Giants call it) made it hard to defend this team when you factored in the running game.

With that said he was a complete asshole who had no regards for rules or what is expected of him other than to get open and score TD's.

I do not think its out of the realm of thinking to actually think that if the Giants change their passing attack philosophy from a downfield stretch the field one to a quick drop, get rid of it quickly that they cannot prosper again. With the running game the Giants have they should be ok.

Plax was a game changing WR as his ability to make plays in the red zone(green zone as the Giants call it) made it hard to defend this team when you factored in the running game.

With that said he was a complete asshole who had no regards for rules or what is expected of him other than to get open and score TD's.

I do not think its out of the realm of thinking to actually think that if the Giants change their passing attack philosophy from a downfield stretch the field one to a quick drop, get rid of it quickly that they cannot prosper again. With the running game the Giants have they should be ok.

the only thing against that philosophy is that eli lacks that skill set- or at least he has until now. i'd love to see more slants and quick drops.

I guess it's good to see him issue some kind of statement. After hearing about the postponement, I lost any real hope that he would be able to play this year, let alone remain with the team. He certainly destroyed the team's chances at a repeat and I know plenty of fans won't forgive him for that. I'm going to appreciate what he did for the team in 07 and the NFC Championship, one of the best performances by a wide receiver that I have ever seen. Without him, the Giants would not be champions. I do hope everything turns out as good as possible for him considering the circumstances. I enjoyed watching him play and as long as he doesn't wind up wearing the uniform of a division rival, I will continue to do that whenever he gets that opportunity again.