SportsWrath

The Case for Swisher

BullsOnParade

Lifted from www.nomaas.org, good little tidbit on why Nick Swisher should be the Yankees starting outfielder:

With two weeks remaining in Spring Training, Xavier Nady has moved ahead of Nick Swisher in the race to serve as the Opening Day right fielder, Yankees manager Joe Girardi confirmed on Monday.

"If we were to break today, Nady would be my right fielder," Girardi said. (Source)

And more from our boy, T-Kep:

The Swisher we see in the clubhouse is the same as the virtual one on Twitter. He’s all smiles and back slaps and good-time music. That’s why it was interesting today to see a subdued Swisher, one who tried very hard to mask his disappointment at learning from Manager Joe Girardi that Xavier Nady would be the regular right fielder.

“I’ve been thinking all day about what I wanted to say,” Swisher told us after the game, an 8-3 loss to the Phillies. “I’m the type of guy, I want to play every day, there’s no doubt about that. I guess we’re just going to see how it plays out. (Source)

Girardi's decision to make Xavier Nady the everyday right fielder is a poor one. Even Rob Neyer agrees with us. On February 22nd, we made the case why Swisher is clearly a better player than Nady. We'll post our comparison table again:

Swisher

Nady

Career OPS+

Career OBP

Career IsoD

Career IsoP

Career BB/PA

#P/PA

UZR/150 in RF

Yes, Swisher hit .219 last year, but he hit the ball harder than in any other season of his career, with a 20.9% line drive rate. Coupling that with the lowest BABIP of his career (.249), and it looks like Swish suffered from some big-time bad luck.

And even though he hit .219, he still managed an OBP of .332 resulting in an IsoD of .113, slightly better than his career average. That means even when balls aren't dropping for Swish, he can still walk his way on base. That's a huge difference between Swisher and Nady. If Nady isn't slugging, he's not much offensively

Swish should either be starting over Nady or just put his ass in CF. Gardener is having a great spring (so did Cano in 2008) but I take all preseason shit with a brick of salt. Swisher is not a good CF but his bat will make up for it and we don't need any more black holes in the lineup come April (3B Ransom). Of course Swisher not being on the bench makes our back ups even shittier but who cares, it's already not that good so fuck it. We need all the bats we can get right now since we dont have everyone's favorite gay athlete.

Swish should either be starting over Nady or just put his ass in CF. Gardener is having a great spring (so did Cano in 2008) but I take all preseason shit with a brick of salt. Swisher is not a good CF but his bat will make up for it and we don't need any more black holes in the lineup come April (3B Ransom). Of course Swisher not being on the bench makes our back ups even shittier but who cares, it's already not that good so fuck it. We need all the bats we can get right now since we dont have everyone's favorite gay athlete.

:lol:

Swisher's too shitty an OF to be your everyday CF. They should just go with Gardner out there and eat his bat (unless he's actually gonna hit this year, based on his spring, which I don't put that much stock in- unless he's been on the "Yankee workout program" ;) this offseason).

:lol:

Swisher's too shitty an OF to be your everyday CF. They should just go with Gardner out there and eat his bat (unless he's actually gonna hit this year, based on his spring, which I don't put that much stock in- unless he's been on the "Yankee workout program" ;) this offseason).

Swisher has excellent defense from the corners and is an average CFer. With his bat he would be a huge upgrade over Gardner or Melky, any loss in defense would be more than made up in his offense.

Swisher looked foolish yesterday on a ball I'm sure Nady would have had, and IMO Nady is a much better hitter avg wise. I didn't like Nady playing left last year because there was too much ground for hin to cover, but otherwise, he's a solid fielder.

As far a CF goes, Melky> Gardner. Better jump on the ball, better arm, and doesn't start out in the wrong direction as much as Gardner. Plus, although Gardner's dangerous on the bases, he makes a lot of blunders.

njsmalls, we will win this one on pitching and defense.

Swisher looked foolish yesterday on a ball I'm sure Nady would have had, and IMO Nady is a much better hitter avg wise. I didn't like Nady playing left last year because there was too much ground for hin to cover, but otherwise, he's a solid fielder.

As far a CF goes, Melky> Gardner. Better jump on the ball, better arm, and doesn't start out in the wrong direction as much as Gardner. Plus, although Gardner's dangerous on the bases, he makes a lot of blunders.

njsmalls, we will win this one on pitching and defense.

Although I wholeheartedly agree about the Yankees pitching, it will not be their defense which wins for them. Aside from the 2 corner OF positions I cannot thing of any one position other than those 2 where the Yankees have above average fielders. Jeter is still good, but not what he once was, there was a great article in the paper today about his loss of range. Cano is not that good defensively.

So although I agree the Yankees will win, it will be because of their pitching and ability to score runs.

Although I wholeheartedly agree about the Yankees pitching, it will not be their defense which wins for them. Aside from the 2 corner OF positions I cannot thing of any one position other than those 2 where the Yankees have above average fielders. Jeter is still good, but not what he once was, there was a great article in the paper today about his loss of range. Cano is not that good defensively.

So although I agree the Yankees will win, it will be because of their pitching and ability to score runs.

Mark Tiexiera isnt an above agerage fielder? A-Rod isnt an above average fielder? Cano, although he can be lazy at times, is a very good defensive second baseman. Posada(before he got hurt, but he's look very good throwing guys out this spring)/Molina arent above average defensive catchers? You so crazy.

Jeter and Nady are the only players that arent above average fielders....theyre actually pretty bad.

Jeter and Nady are the only players that arent above average fielders....theyre actually pretty bad.

We can argue about whether or not Jeter's an excellent ss from now to doomsday. (Dec 21st, 20012) My main point, he's at least better than average, and so is Cano, and Melky, though he lost the job to Gardner. who should do okay if he doesn't play too shallow. Damon is better than average if he doesn't play every day, Nady, an exellent arm, but not a lot of OF speed, can hold his own in right. At first, Teix one of the best, 3rd is iffy in my book, and I'm not a fan of Posada's overall catching value, but hopefully he learned something watching Molina the past year.

I agree they have the means to score runs, but remembering last year, I'm not banking on it.

Mark Tiexiera isnt an above agerage fielder? A-Rod isnt an above average fielder? Cano, although he can be lazy at times, is a very good defensive second baseman. Posada(before he got hurt, but he's look very good throwing guys out this spring)/Molina arent above average defensive catchers? You so crazy.

It was a typo Homeboy, I mean corner IF positions.... <_<

thus what I meant to say was "Aside from the 2 corner IF(heres where the typo was) positions I cannot think(another typo as there was a g here, you can see the effects of golf and beer all dat now) of any one position other than those 2 where the Yankees have above average fielders".

Nady sucks in the field as does Damon with that faggy arm.

BTW, turn off the pinstripe colored glasses, Cano is shit with the glove and has been going back years in the minors.

It was a typo Homeboy, I mean corner IF positions.... <_<

thus what I meant to say was "Aside from the 2 corner IF(heres where the typo was) positions I cannot think(another typo as there was a g here, you can see the effects of golf and beer all dat now) of any one position other than those 2 where the Yankees have above average fielders".

Nady sucks in the field as does Damon with that faggy arm.

BTW, turn off the pinstripe colored glasses, Cano is shit with the glove and has been going back years in the minors.

damon is an above average left fielder, yeah his arm is weak, so what? he's not the right fielder.

And Cano is very good at second, I dont know where you got that he's shit from. Like I said, he can be lazy, which one can argue makes him bad, but when he is focused, he's excellent.

damon is an above average left fielder, yeah his arm is weak, so what? he's not the right fielder.

And Cano is very good at second, I dont know where you got that he's shit from. Like I said, he can be lazy, which one can argue makes him bad, but when he is focused, he's excellent.

17 errors in 2005 in 130 games is not excellent. I know you love to overrate Yankees and all by this is comical.

a 984 fielding % in 2008 is not excellent considering there were 7 guys ahead of him with a better % of those that qualify. If this makes Cano excellent what does that make them, Godly?

Cano has never finished in the top 5 in fielding % among Al second basemen with enough chances to qualify. Of course his 52 errors in those years since 2005 though are second only to Ian Kinslers 53 since 2006.

Cano is an average 2nd basemen at best, some could argue below average. I will give him average, to call him excellent is ignoring the blatant facts.

Does not matter anyway, the point is the Yanks will win because of pitching and their offense, not great defense which they do not have other than in the two corner INFIELD spots, where they are gold glove.

Cano is an average 2nd basemen at best, some could argue below average. I will give him average, to call him excellent is ignoring the blatant facts.

Facts? What facts? You watch the games and form an opinion. There are no facts.

batting average is almost as poor of a way to judge a hitter as fielding percentage is to judge a fielder.

Jason Giambi has a lifetime fielding percentage of 993, next youre going to tell me that Giambi is a great fielder

Oh, and Orlando Hudson, who is widely considered the best defensive second baseman in the game has a career feilding percantage of 985.

Zone ratings are the only way to accurately judge fielders. Fielding Percentage punishes players with superior ranges getting to balls and possibly making mistakes on them that lesser fielders would not even get their glove on.

exactly. Cano is an excellent fielder. xxixxv has no idea what he's talking about.

batting average is almost as poor of a way to judge a hitter as fielding percentage is to judge a fielder.

Jason Giambi has a lifetime fielding percentage of 993, next youre going to tell me that Giambi is a great fielder

Oh, and Orlando Hudson, who is widely considered the best defensive second baseman in the game has a career feilding percantage of 985.

Retarded. .993 is not a great fielding percentage for a first baseman, and .985 is better than average for a 2B. I would think a self-described coulda-been-a-pro-baseball-scout would know that.

Cano is flashy and sometimes makes great plays, but is not smart or focused enough to be a great 2B.

Retarded. .993 is not a great fielding percentage for a first baseman, and .985 is better than average for a 2B. I would think a self-described coulda-been-a-pro-baseball-scout would know that.

Cano is flashy and sometimes makes great plays, but is not smart or focused enough to be a great 2B.

fo shizzle my nizzle

exactly. Cano is an excellent fielder. xxixxv has no idea what he's talking about.

Cano is not a Yankee= he is an average fielder.

Cano is a Yankee= he is an excellent fielder.

I asked 10 Yankee fans at work today if they would classify Cano as an excellent 2nd basemen. Most said average some said good.

You guys are correct about the zone rating, which Cano ranked 16th in 2008, which is about average, which me who has no idea what I am talking about originally said. He is average.

Maybe when he is playing elsewhere the opinions will be non bias.

I'll give you the not focused enough part, but not the other.

Cano is not a Yankee= he is an average fielder.

Cano is a Yankee= he is an excellent fielder.

I asked 10 Yankee fans at work today if they would classify Cano as an excellent 2nd basemen. Most said average some said good.

You guys are correct about the zone rating, which Cano ranked 16th in 2008, which is about average, which me who has no idea what I am talking about originally said. He is average.

Maybe when he is playing elsewhere the opinions will be non bias.

whatever you say. I guess baseball prospectus is bias as well.

I sort of like the mix they have out there now. Starting to remind me of teams they had when they used to win Championships.

Speed, range, arm strength…all that shit is so overrated. It all comes down to having a stable and competent pitching rotation and fielders who know where to play who don’t ass fuck the easy stuff.

You don’t’ need a Ozzie Smith or Clemente at every position..you need pitchers who hit their spots consistently and competent fielders who know where to set up based on the pitcher hitting that spot so they are in a likely position to cleanly field a hit ball…that cleans up a lost step or two all by itself.....and then not boot the routine grounder….or drop a strider in the alley when it comes to you.....or think using the cut off man is for pussies.

That has been some of Yankees issue with defense the last six years….playing stupid or blind because they dealing with the pitcher du jour who will only be up for 3 starts or some wreck of vet who put it on the spot only 60% of the time..before going back on the DL….or simply forgetting simple baseball precepts…hit the cut off…remember to be the cut off man (Fucking Gamboni).

Its not like Mussina was throwing smoke..he was throwing smart..and smart is consistent and consistent is easier to set a defense up behind.

It’s that simple

The Yanks have always had hitting...and some times even hitting and pitching....but for the last several years they haven't had smart defense and that can be attributed to fucked up pitching rotation.

In the 70s the Yanks won with defense and pitching…same as in the late 90s.

LF Roy White….average fielder…but always in position and always new where to throw.

CF Mickey Rivers ….great speed…but could not break a window throwing it…and prone to distraction…over all ..he was average..Billy had to put Paul Blair in during close games late.

RF Sweet Lou..or Oscar Gamble….both below average but smart and good on the rountie stuff…Reggie….a fucking adventure most games and that is being kind.

3B Nettles…Okay…he was all world and that Fuck George Brett couldn’t carry his glove.

SS Bucky Fucking Dent…average ..made the routine plays well…never booted the obvious…had a lot of balls hit right at him…cause he knew his pitchers.

2b Willie Randolph….well about average..and better then Frank White ..fuck him too.

1b. Chris Chambliss….see Dent

C Thurman Munson…above average but very unorthodox….Super smart and very good at getting Rivers…Dent….etc… in position.

Then you got the late 90’s team.

LF…Pretty much by committee….Spencer…Curtis…eventually Knoblach….not a lot of guns in that crew…but they played smart and in position more often or not. Consistent.

CF. Bernie Williams…exceptional fielder on flys…..average arm….above average.

LF Paul O’Neil…great arm….I mean fucking a Bo Jackson arm..but hurt and slow most of the time..but goddamn smart and in position…Dave Justice little more on speed..lot less on arm.

3B Boggs..actually became a better fielder and Gold Glover with Yanks..but not Nettles or Brooks Robinson..just consistent and smart.,,same with Brosius.

SS Jeter..well above average and all around at the time.

2B…Knobloch….Sorianno….fucking both were adventures on anything in the hole and Knobloch’s issues with the anzo and HGH made him forget how to throw.

1b. Tino Martinez….above average and smart.

C….Posada and Girardi…rock sold….above average.

I sort think the new look has a bit of an old time vibe to it. I'm actually looking forward to the season for a change. The last several years have felt too much like the Winfield 80's.

Anyway...Defense is in the head..not the feet.

C. Wagon