SportsWrath

Vacchiano: WR Trade Options

jranieli

i like smith alot

i dont see much of a ceiling on the guy yet,

plus jerry rices opinions on WR's hold more weight than mine or anyone else here for that matter

Said Rice, "You're starting to see only a little of what this guy is capable of. He has the ability to work outside. I've seen his route running outside, so I know he's capable of it."

"He stood out to me," Rice said of Smith. "The guy is a great football player who never really got the chance to show what he can do because Dwayne Jarrett was there. He can go across the middle, runs sharp routes and has that desire to be successful. I see a lot of myself in him."

Extrapolation can be tricky if using as a predictor. Based on what you SAW out of Hixon, do you think he can be a #1 or #2 quality WR NEXT SEASON, not 2 or 3 years down the road?

I think he has a lot of ability, yeah. Whereas Torry Holt reportedly has a degenarative knee condition. I'd rather have the young player on the rise than the declining player with the inflated price tag.

that's not saying much since Hixon played on a 12 - 4 team and Holt played on a 4 - 12 team

Playing on a better team doesn't always translate to better stats. Bad teams put up big offensive numbers with regularity, just by virtue of throwing the ball every down. In fact, Holt's teammate -- rookie Donnie Avery -- had 53 catches and 3 TDs, which is pretty close to Holt's output. I'm not sure TH deserves the "bad team" excuse, especially since his physical condition is in question.

The Rams also play in a dome, and the Giants play in a notoriously windy stadium. I think Hixon deserves the benefit of the doubt in that regard; he was more than the beneficiary of a good team.

Playing on a better team doesn't always translate to better stats. Bad teams put up big offensive numbers with regularity, just by virtue of throwing the ball every down. In fact, Holt's teammate -- rookie Donnie Avery -- had 53 catches and 3 TDs, which is pretty close to Holt's output. I'm not sure TH deserves the "bad team" excuse, especially since his physical condition is in question.

The Rams also play in a dome, and the Giants play in a notoriously windy stadium. I think Hixon deserves the benefit of the doubt in that regard; he was more than the beneficiary of a good team.

I would cut and paste but apparently you frown upon that...in any event, when you have a better QB, better line, better running game, that will translate to more offensive plays and more stats

I think he has a lot of ability, yeah. Whereas Torry Holt reportedly has a degenarative knee condition. I'd rather have the young player on the rise than the declining player with the inflated price tag.

If he has a knee problem, than it would obviously be a waste of time and money to even consider him.

I don't mean to sound like I don't like Hixon, I do. I was really high on him after last year's preseason that he had. But when given the chance, he didn't really separate himself as someone that could be a Plaxico-type impact receiver. As for Smith, I'm pretty sure that I've seen more of Smith than Jerry Rice has. There's no way Smith is #1 material. I like him, but he is more Reggie Brown than Reggie Wayne, lol. I think he'll be a suitable replacement for Amani's production of the last several years.

If he has a knee problem, than it would obviously be a waste of time and money to even consider him.

I don't mean to sound like I don't like Hixon, I do. I was really high on him after last year's preseason that he had. But when given the chance, he didn't really separate himself as someone that could be a Plaxico-type impact receiver. As for Smith, I'm pretty sure that I've seen more of Smith than Jerry Rice has. There's no way Smith is #1 material. I like him, but he is more Reggie Brown than Reggie Wayne, lol. I think he'll be a suitable replacement for Amani's production of the last several years.

do you train every offseason with smith?

jerry does

The thing I have with Hixon, is he goes threw phases where he catches everything for a whole game, and then has a game like he did versus the Eagles where he couldn't catch a cold. I don't know if he's consistant enough to be a #1 at this point

and he, like the coaches see more of smith than any of us do.

I'm not arguing that he's not a good receiver. I do think he is very good. Has great hands and is a very good route runner. What will hold him back from becoming a true #1 is the fact that he is not as fast as other #1's his size, like the other Steve Smith or like a Roddy White or Reggie Wayne, as examples. These guys all are about the same size as Smith but what sets them apart is that they can exploit corners with their explosion and speed and get vertical. Smith is not quite that explosive or fast. You can get away with that and still be a #1 if you are 6-4 or 6-5 and are a physical WR with leaping ability, but Smith is not any of that, either. Thus, he is not #1 material based on the physical tools he possesses. It's not a knock on him, he's a very good possession receiver, which is an important asset for any team to have.

I'm not arguing that he's not a good receiver. I do think he is very good. Has great hands and is a very good route runner. What will hold him back from becoming a true #1 is the fact that he is not as fast as other #1's his size, like the other Steve Smith or like a Roddy White or Reggie Wayne, as examples. These guys all are about the same size as Smith but what sets them apart is that they can exploit corners with their explosion and speed and get vertical. Smith is not quite that explosive or fast. You can get away with that and still be a #1 if you are 6-4 or 6-5 and are a physical WR with leaping ability, but Smith is not any of that, either. Thus, he is not #1 material based on the physical tools he possesses. It's not a knock on him, he's a very good possession receiver, which is an important asset for any team to have.

i agree with your assessment and see him as a very good career no.2

im not gonna out and out say he will never be a number 1 though

and i love reading jerry rices opinions on him

i agree with your assessment and see him as a very good career no.2

im not gonna out and out say he will never be a number 1 though

and i love reading jerry rices opinions on him

Hey, I hope I'm wrong and Jerry's right. But I also hope that the Giants don't bank on it, either, and look for someone with more obvious tools (I want Britt).

Hey, I hope I'm wrong and Jerry's right. But I also hope that the Giants don't bank on it, either, and look for someone with more obvious tools (I want Britt).

do you see britt coming in and starting this year?

i dont think it would work like that, in fact he'd probably be like 4th or if plax comes back 5th

I'd go with Tory Holt and draft someone with our 2nd pick

I want to use the 1st pick for a MLBer

Someone made the point that Holt's declining performance was more a function of a real bad offense than Holt himself

I agree with you completely. I would rather get a LB in the 1st pick. Then pick up Britt in the 2nd.