SportsWrath

Reese "Happy to take Burress back"

Nesta

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/ny-...0,7057264.story

GM, Giants: We'd be happy to take Burress backBY ARTHUR STAPLE | arthur.staple@newsday.com

January 13, 2009

1 2 next Plaxico Burress is still in limbo - well, most likely South Florida - but the Giants, from general manager Jerry Reese on down, made it clear yesterday that the team would welcome back its troubled star receiver if Burress can clear the numerous legal hurdles still to come.

That's one gigantic "if," of course, given that Burress is due in Manhattan Criminal Court on March 31 to face two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon after he accidentally shot himself in the thigh with an unlicensed handgun Nov. 29. The Giants suspended Burress for the final four games of the regular season and the postseason and went 1-4 without him.

Burress also faces a likely NFL suspension for the shooting incident, regardless of what happens in criminal court.

Yet even though the initial outcry from the Giants was that they were ready to wash their hands of Burress, several teammates and Reese yesterday said they'd be happy to have Burress as a productive member of the 2009 Giants. "Well, he's a New York Giant, and right now he's under contract with us, and that really makes sense if everything works out," Reese said. "The legal process can veto everything, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to make a lot of decisions prior to the legal process running its course."

At least publicly, Burress’ teammates also say they want him back.

“I would love to have him back, and I think I speak for my teammates when I say that,” DE Justin Tuck said. “If Plaxico wants to be back here, he’ll be back here. As long as he’s here and he works his butt off, that’s good enough for me.”

“I’d certainly love to have him back,” said RG Chris Snee. “He’s a guy that showed up every weekend and busted his butt on the field for us. We’ll take all those guys that we can get.”

“I think he will be here next year, and I think he should be because he’s not a criminal,” HB Brandon Jacobs said. “He doesn’t have a bad bone in his body. He made a bad decision, and he shouldn’t suffer the rest of his career, but sometimes that’s the way life goes.”

WR David Tyree, who has dealt with substance-abuse issues in the past before reforming himself, says he has been advising Burress. “Knowing I’ve been through my share of troubles…my job is basically to encourage him, to show him the direction that has kind of set me free,” Tyree said. “So I’m really encouraging him now to get back to the things that make us great people - not just great athletes, celebrities - and (the things that) make us to be people that are sought after, great foundational people away from the spotlight. He has tons of qualities that are positive. Unfortunately, when you make so many bad choices, it’ll catch up with you and haunt you.”

old but:

Harry Carson told reporters:

"I would like to see him come back and play, and I'd like to see the Giant organization hang with him. I think they should," the Hall of Famer linebacker said at the Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year banquet last night in Manhattan. "Whether they will or not, that's another story. But I would hope that they will hang with him through this whole process and not jettison him."

Carson later supported his statement further, pulling from instances in the past that he's experienced personally and seen second hand:

"Listen, we all have done really dumb stuff," Carson said. "There are dumb things that I have done, there are dumb things that Lawrence Taylor has done, but we had the opportunity to come back and play. What Plaxico did didn't hurt anybody except Plaxico."

He'll be back.

Compared to what some other players do in this league and get busted for, what he did was pretty mediocre. Plus I bet atleast half of the NFL players carry a gun on them now a days, heck I bet Eli carries a .45 in the glove box of his car just in case some fuck nut tries something.

With Mayor For Life treating him like he's Manson he might end up in jail. Even if he doesn't we need to do something to strengthen the wr position. Plax will be suspended for no less than 4 games. Probably looking at closer to 8.

LOL! yeah that is true....talk about an ego maniac, the guy makes the laws up as he goes along.

"Hopefully, he's back," Manning said one day after his meltdown in the Giants playoff loss to the Eagles. "Hopefully, you learn from your mistakes. I don't know what the circumstances are, what upper management thinks and what's Plaxico's situation. A lot is going on there. Plaxico is a tremendous player and we have to see what happens."

At least publicly, Burress’ teammates also say they want him back.

“I would love to have him back, and I think I speak for my teammates when I say that,” DE Justin Tuck said. “If Plaxico wants to be back here, he’ll be back here. As long as he’s here and he works his butt off, that’s good enough for me.”

“I’d certainly love to have him back,” said RG Chris Snee. “He’s a guy that showed up every weekend and busted his butt on the field for us. We’ll take all those guys that we can get.”

“I think he will be here next year, and I think he should be because he’s not a criminal,” HB Brandon Jacobs said. “He doesn’t have a bad bone in his body. He made a bad decision, and he shouldn’t suffer the rest of his career, but sometimes that’s the way life goes.”

WR David Tyree, who has dealt with substance-abuse issues in the past before reforming himself, says he has been advising Burress. “Knowing I’ve been through my share of troubles…my job is basically to encourage him, to show him the direction that has kind of set me free,” Tyree said. “So I’m really encouraging him now to get back to the things that make us great people - not just great athletes, celebrities - and (the things that) make us to be people that are sought after, great foundational people away from the spotlight. He has tons of qualities that are positive. Unfortunately, when you make so many bad choices, it’ll catch up with you and haunt you.”

Harry Carson told reporters:

You beat me too it with the Carson quote. He has said publicly that he is willing to mentor Burress and he is quite serious about it. I can only imagine if Harry had been part of that midnight equation....He would have told Bradshaw to go home and play some Playstation; Pierce to go home and bang his fine ass wife for all that she is worth; and Plax...well he would have picked his ass up and thrown him into his SUV and taken him out on long country drive to nowhere to talk some sense into his ass. And from then on out he would be his big brother. I also like that Tyree is involved as he has matured into one of the good guys. So a tandem of Little Brother Tyree and Big Brother Carson would be a great arrangement. Undoubtedly that was the role that was envisaged for Pierce. But it seems he was more of an enabler than a mentor.

old but:

With Mayor For Life treating him like he's Manson he might end up in jail. Even if he doesn't we need to do something to strengthen the wr position. Plax will be suspended for no less than 4 games. Probably looking at closer to 8.

Lets start calling him Papa Doc Bloomberg....I bet he wears a Field Marshals uniform when he goes down to his private Caribbean island...LOL. That was a good one Bro.

I'll go one further. If Plaxico comes back and catches another Super Bowl winning TD, he can shoot me in my left ass cheek (not the right side; that's my good side).

Shit I will even tip his lap dances a Grant instead of Lincoln; and make sure he eats up so that he does not eat their munchies. All the Giants have to do is call me.

Shit I will even tip his lap dances a Grant instead of Lincoln; and make sure he eats up so that he does not eat their munchies. All the Giants have to do is call me.

I will let him:

Shoot me in the ass, either cheek.

Shoot me in my leg

Shoot me in my foot

Tip his waitresses my ENTIRE years salary

Feed him

Feed his kids

Feed his wife

Feed his gf

Feed his mistress

Feed the girl he bangs later that night.

AND.............he can spit in my face.

If he just comes back and catches another SB winning TD. :)

I will let him:

Shoot me in the ass, either cheek.

Shoot me in my leg

Shoot me in my foot

Tip his waitresses my ENTIRE years salary

Feed him

Feed his kids

Feed his wife

Feed his gf

Feed his mistress

Feed the girl he bangs later that night.

AND.............he can spit in my face.

If he just comes back and catches another SB winning TD. :)

Playing hard to get will get you nowhere....lol