Lughead

Raiders downplay `interview' with Gilbride

Team says Al Davis merely obliged agent's requestBy Steve Corkran

Oakland TribuneUpdated: 01/04/2009 01:31:57 PM PST

20090104_023146_large_gilbridetes_VIEWER

The Raiders on Sunday confirmed that managing general partner Al Davis

spoke with New York Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride on

Saturday.

However, it was Gilbride who contacted the Raiders and not the other way around, Raiders senior executive John Herrera said.

"We did not seek permission to interview Kevin Gilbride," Herrera said.

"The Raiders received a letter from Gilbride's agent seeking a phone

conversation with Mr. Davis."

The NFL Network reported Saturday that the Raiders requested permission

from the Giants to interview Gilbride for their coaching vacancy.

Herrera said the conversation between Davis and Gilbride wasn't necessarily an interview.

Davis is contemplating whether to hire Tom Cable on a permanent basis

-- Cable replaced the fired Lane Kiffin after four games last season --

or turn over the reins to a new coach for the fifth time in six seasons.

Gilbride is the first person Davis has spoken with since the Raiders season ended Dec. 28.

"Mr. Davis has known Kevin for a long time and was more than willing to

oblige and have that conversation," Herrera said. "They had an

interesting hour-and-a-half conversation Saturday at Gilbride's

request. End of story."

Gilbride has been the Giants offensive coordinator the past two

seasons. He is credited with turning the Giants offense into one of the

league's most-balanced attacks.

Of particular interest to Davis no doubt is the way Gilbride has incorporated three top-tier running backs

his offensive game plans. All three -- Brandon Jacbos, Derrick Ward and

Ahmad Bradshaw -- averaged at least 5 yards per carry this season.

Jacobs and Ward surpassed 1,000 yards and combined for 17 touchdowns.

Kiffin, Cable and offensive coordinator Greg Knapp struggled finding a

system that worked well in terms of using Justin Fargas, Darren

McFadden and Michael Bush on a consistent basis.

Per league rules, Gilbride no longer is allowed to interview with teams

until the Giants' season ends. His lone NFL coaching experience came in

1997-98, when he guided the San Diego Chargers to a 6-16 mark before

being fired.

Gilbride has worked in the NFL in some capacity every season except 2001 the past 20 years.

Don't let the door smack you on the way out.

I can't believe that interview is giving him credit for the Giants rushing attack...which is solely based on an excellent offensive line and 3 outstanding running backs, because he doesn't use them nearly enough.

I can't believe that interview is giving him credit for the Giants rushing attack...which is solely based on an excellent offensive line and 3 outstanding running backs, because he doesn't use them nearly enough.

Yeha he knows how to use them .... Pass blocking :brooding:

The Oakland Raider organization is a center of lies and misinformation.

More likely scenario is Gilbride said there was no way he would consider a position with the Raiders.

Frankly, Lug I'm surprised you would post such inflammatory crap.

Oh, that's right, you hate Gilbride.

Giants ran the ball 468 times. They threw the ball 479 times.

That's the definition of balance to me.

Yeha he knows how to use them .... Pass blocking :brooding:

I can't even begin to tell you how frustrated I get whenever we don't run the ball on a series. With our running game, first down(or at least second down) should always be a good hard run.

Giants ran the ball 468 times. They threw the ball 479 times.

That's the definition of balance to me.

This is a running football team. That number should be much higher than passing. it should be 55% to running 45% passing.

The Oakland Raider organization is a center of lies and misinformation.

More likely scenario is Gilbride said there was no way he would consider a position with the Raiders.

Frankly, Lug I'm surprised you would post such inflammatory crap.

Oh, that's right, you hate Gilbride.

Oh that's right you have your finger on the Al's pulse or lack there of .... Damn I forgot about that I should of known not to post that , My bad.

Damn you Raider nation, Damn your Smoke and Mirrors tactics :TD:

This is a running football team. That number should be much higher than passing. it should be 55% to running 45% passing.

That is just illogical in todays NFL and quite frankly makes no sense. Lets run on every down, even 3rd and 10 then we can be 55% running and have a 20% 3rd down conversion rate :LMAO:

I can't even begin to tell you how frustrated I get whenever we don't run the ball on a series. With our running game, first down(or at least second down) should always be a good hard run.

2 and 4 or 5 should be a mystery are they going to throw ?????? are they going to run??????

this would be set up with 1st down runs. Know I am not saying Run the ball on every 1st down but damn get them lured in to a rushing attack then open up on them with play action.

That is just illogical in todays NFL and quite frankly makes no sense. Lets run on every down, even 3rd and 10 then we can be 55% running and have a 20% 3rd down conversion rate :LMAO:

yah because that's what I said, jackass.

The reason the team sucked so bad the last 6 weeks of the season, is because we completely strayed away from what was working for us the first 10 weeks. We became pass first.

2 and 4 or 5 should be a mystery are they going to throw ?????? are they going to run??????

this would be set up with 1st down runs. Know I am not saying Run the ball on every 1st down but damn get them lured in to a rushing attack then open up on them with play action.

Yah, I said exactly that, apparently, reading comprehension isn't this board's strong suit.

And our two defensive ends are no Strahans and Umenyioras. And running upfield, passed the quarterback, has nothing to do with containment...unless you're talking about containing the backfield referee.

Oh that's right you have your finger on the Al's pulse or lack there of .... Damn I forgot about that I should of known not to post that , My bad.

Damn you Raider nation, Damn your Smoke and Mirrors tactics :TD:

I thought it was common knowledge to everyone how delusional the Raider Org is. But if you need a lesson, start here:

I thought it was common knowledge to everyone how delusional the Raider Org is. But if you need a lesson, start here:

No thanks I will pass I do not "NEED" a lesson. After all these year you don't think that Gilbride would want to become a head coach again ? I can see him reaching out for a job but just cause he chose to talk to the Raiders does that mean the Squirrely Raiders fabricated the story that "Gil called them they didn't call Gil" ? We will see in the Future .

yah because that's what I said, jackass.

The reason the team sucked so bad the last 6 weeks of the season, is because we completely strayed away from what was working for us the first 10 weeks. We became pass first.

You said you want to run the ball 55% of the time, which in todays NFL is as next to impossible as winning every game. Sure you can do that, but to get to that number you are going to have to run on every play and thus that would mean runs on third and long, thus you would most likely not convert them and have a conversion rate close to 20%.

We ran the ball less the last 6 weeks huh?

vs Zona 27 for 87 vs 33 throws - we still ran the ball despite a less than 3 yards/carry average

vs Washington 35 runs vs 34 throws yup sure abandonded it there

vs Philly 27 throws vs 24 runs in a game we were down 20-7 and had nothing working and no Jacobs

vs Dallas the one game they got out of it and the game they missed their best guy who sets the tone

vs Carolina , no use even posting these numbers as we all know your theory here is moot

vs Vikes does it really matter? but it was 30 passes to 30 rushes

Now lets go back the 10 weeks you spoke of shall we

week 1 35 throws vs 32 rushes against the SKins

week 2 31 rushes vs 28 throws against the Rams

week 3 43 passes vs 25 runs vs the Bengals wow we pounded it that day

week 5 25 runs vs 28 passes vs the Browns

week 6 32 runs vs 31 passes vs the Niners

week 7 35 runs vs 32 passes vs the Steelers - best run defense in the league at the time

week 8 34 runs vs 27 passes vs the Cwoboys

week 9 33 rushes vs 23 passes vs the Ravens in what was the best gameplan all year for the weather

Looks about the same to me.

Now go crawl under your angry little rock and come up with some more logic that makes about as much sense as speaking Spanish in China.

Ah the gilbride apologists are back.

Tell me what good is balance when you lose?

I guess you learned nothing from the Carolina game.

No one is apologizing for Gilbride, he is what he is and thats the Offensive coordinator of the most balanced offense in the NFC. Its that simple.

The sarcasm aimed at Storm is unwarranted. The overall percentages mean squat, everyone knows there have been countless series throughout the year where Gillbride has abandoned the run in favor of the pass, and in situations where it made know sense to do so. I'd be willing to bet money that the reason the run vs throw percentages is so even is because we have been ahead in the game. There were a few games where we were behind, but the game was close, a lot of time left and the running game was working and Gillbride went into catch up mode.

I cringe at the thought of being down 10 at half time to the Eagles next week, because i know full well Gillbride will be throwing the rest of the game.

The sarcasm aimed at Storm is unwarranted. The overall percentages mean squat, everyone knows there have been countless series throughout the year where Gillbride has abandoned the run in favor of the pass, and in situations where it made know sense to do so. I'd be willing to bet money that the reason the run vs throw percentages is so even is because we have been ahead in the game. There were a few games where we were behind, but the game was close, a lot of time left and the running game was working and Gillbride went into catch up mode.

I cringe at the thought of being down 10 at half time to the Eagles next week, because i know full well Gillbride will be throwing the rest of the game.

Exactly.

Not for long hopefully.

Anyone that knows anything about Tom Coughlin and his recipe for winning football knows its predicated on a long passing game and power run game. So no matter who the coordinator is this is what you are going to get. Its what they do its how they play and thus far its worked to the tune of 12-4 with a balanced attack that has proven it can beat you any way. Maybe its just me but I will take sucess.