SportsWrath

Gil the Raider?

Lubeck

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3798205

<h1 class="storyTitle"></h1>

<h1 class="storyTitle">Raiders hope to speak with Giants' Gilbride</h1>

The Oakland Raiders are in the process of requesting permission to speak with New York Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride about their vacant head coach position, according to a report from ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

As the Giants enter their bye week for the opening round of the playoffs, Gilbride is expected to take the opportunity to interview for the job. New York (12-4) is the NFC's top seed and has home-field advantage throughout the postseason.

09000d5d80daeea5_video_rhr_280_210.jpg NFL.com Video

Watch highlights from the Oakland Raiders' 31-24 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

However, Raiders sources tell Mortensen that interim head coach Tom Cable has a solid chance of retaining the post.

Cable moved in to the role when Raiders owner Al Davis fired Lane Kiffin four games into this season. Cable won two straight games to finish the season and was 4-8 as head coach.

Cable is expected to meet with Davis soon. The owner did not travel with the team to Tampa Bay for the regular season finale because of a leg injury.

"I want to be the head coach of the Raiders, but it's not in my hands," Cable told reporters after Sunday's game. "But I certainly know I put this team together and got it going in the right direction, and [sunday's win] proved that."

The Giants promoted Gilbride from quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator after the 2006 season. The former offensive coordinator with the Houston Oilers, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh and Buffalo was a head coach for the San Diego Chargers.

why? I think with the weapons we have on O, billick would do a good job. He was a very good OC before he became HC of the Ravens.

he had randy moss and chris carter- all he did was tell randall cunningham to throw the ball high and deep- genius!

then, going to the ravens with this billing, his offenses were pretty much offensive.

my personal dislike is for how he threw fassell under the bus.

he had randy moss and chris carter- all he did was tell randall cunningham to throw the ball high and deep- genius!

then, going to the ravens with this billing, his offenses were pretty much offensive.

my personal dislike is for how he threw fassell under the bus.

He used Fassel like the QB dating the plain girl at the prom in order to make the head cheerleader jealous. He screwed, blued and tattooed Fassell. And like the trusting fool that he was...it took him ages to figure it out. I remember before the Super Bowl how much Fassell gushed about their friendship and what an all around good guy Billick was. LOL!!! Basically all Billick talked about was winning the game any way he could.