SportsWrath

Makr Teixiera

Herc

200 mil?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give him 200 million?

• Yes
    • No

I think it's a stretch for anyone, too. But, things being the way it is, if that's for 10 yrs., that's about what Giambi was making, and taking inflation into account, it's not too much. He also brings a glove if I remember right. (I'm big on defense)

PS The only thing, I was looking at his situational stats on Yahoo, and there not so good w/2out and risp. Of course, that doesn't mean he don't do it when it really counts. You gotta see him play every day to know that.

I believe he'll get it, or close to it. The last numbers being thrown around were 160 mil for 8 years, and that was a week ago, before the Yankees allegedly got involved and teams were reportedly one-upping each other. The Red Sox have to sign this guy, even if it does create another problem for them with Lowell.

I think it's a major mistake by the Yanks if they don't do whatever it takes to get him. I know they might feel like they have Manny to fall back on, and it sounds like they're starting to focus on him (although there are rumors flying all over the place at this point in the free agency process), but Manny makes them really weak defensively, especially if they don't get Cameron (and even then, he'd be repalcing Melky, who was their best defensive OF anyway). I just don't see how they'd function with Manny, Damon, Matsui for one OF spot and DH, plus Nady and a CF.

I wouldn't say that I'd love to have Mark Teixeira but I definitely see the need. If you're going to pay anyone top dollar, it'd be Mark Teixeira. As blunatic said, he's a superstar in the prime of his career and is gold glove winner at first, a solid hitter who has an extraordinarily high ceiling, an OBP machine, and a power threat. What more could you ask for? He'd be nice to have on the team. Then again, I'd fucking hate to be disloyal to Mike Lowell. Bronson Arroyo got betrayed, but he was a bit of a dick. But Mike Lowell is a gentleman and deserves our respect. No way he fits in a Youk-Lowell-Papi-Teixeira rotation either. Those are all starting players. Oh well, we'll see what happens. The problem for the Sox so far seems to be the years rather than the money. John Henry says that they won't go to 10 years. This entire thing is frustrating, between Boras' calculated moves and the Red Sox front office's precision in everything they do. Teixeira said that he wanted to sign before Christmas. We shall see.

I think it's a major mistake by the Yanks if they don't do whatever it takes to get him. I know they might feel like they have Manny to fall back on, and it sounds like they're starting to focus on him (although there are rumors flying all over the place at this point in the free agency process), but Manny makes them really weak defensively, especially if they don't get Cameron (and even then, he'd be repalcing Melky, who was their best defensive OF anyway). I just don't see how they'd function with Manny, Damon, Matsui for one OF spot and DH, plus Nady and a CF.

Now that you're putting it in writing, it sounds like we're digging ourselves a hole, and I gotta agree. We also have a problem squeezing Posada into the DH role.

Now that you're putting it in writing, it sounds like we're digging ourselves a hole, and I gotta agree. We also have a problem squeezing Posada into the DH role.

I really can't understand why the Yanks aren't being more aggressive with Texiera. He makes you better defensively and gives you a good defensive first baseman for the first time in a looooong time. He also replaces Giambi's/Abreu's production, and protects ARod. Not only that, but if they go after him instead of Manny, they kill two birds with one stone- the Sox don't get Texiera, and they can't get Manny either.