SportsWrath

One Step Closer

Lubeck

The FCC has been going hard after Comcast lately. There is third suit trying to stop Comcast from capping how much you can download per month. I do admit, I enjoy Comcast high speed internet but their cable is shit. I enjoy it every time when Comcast gets bitch slapped by the government.

I'm a Cablevision/Optimum customer at home but we have Comcast at my office, what kind of download cap are they trying to impose?

They already imposed it as of October 1. They capped it to 250gb a month. There are a lot of legal downloaders out there and there are many who are not happy about this.

I'm a Cablevision/Optimum customer at home but we have Comcast at my office, what kind of download cap are they trying to impose?

Bandwidth limit per-month.. that would be a cap on the amount of data / information you are allowed to view at any time. This would be a violation of your civil liberties, and therefore Comcast can not cap the amount of INFORMATION / DATA you can access. If they do allow Comcast to cap data.. it would be the end of the internet as we know it.

They already imposed it as of October 1. They capped it to 250gb a month. There are a lot of legal downloaders out there and there are many who are not happy about this.

No, they are only trying that as a "test" in some place in Texas.

They can't legally start to cap anything as of yet. They are fighting court orders.

Bandwidth limit per-month.. that would be a cap on the amount of data / information you are allowed to view at any time. This would be a violation of your civil liberties, and therefore Comcast can not cap the amount of INFORMATION / DATA you can access. If they do allow Comcast to cap data.. it would be the end of the internet as we know it.

Well they are already doing it. Since the FCC told them to stop limiting traffic speeds, Comast thought this would have been a better solution. We shall see what happens.

Actually it's not and 250GB is more than enough. What most people are upset about is that Comcast, and others, don't tell you about the cap and advertise unlimited. This is practice used by most IPS for advertising and in the end they will just do traffic shaping anyway. Also if people didn't pirate this would never be an issue anyway and if you need more than 250GB a month you may want to re-evaluate your life.

Can you post the article? Websense is blocking it for me at work.

Only if you give me some special award for doing so :P

FCC sides with NFL Network in dispute with Comcast

Story Highlights

The FCC has sided with the NFL in hits dispute with Comcast

The FCC ruled that the cable company should carry the NFL Network

Decrease font Decrease font

Enlarge font Enlarge font

ADVERTISEMENT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Federal Communications Commission has sided with the National Football League in a long-running programming dispute with Comcast Corp., ruling that Comcast should carry the league's NFL Network on its popular digital cable package.

In a decision released late Friday, the FCC ruled that Comcast discriminated against the NFL Network by agreeing to carry the channel only on a more expensive sports cable service. The NFL filed the complaint against Comcast in May.

The FCC ruling now goes before an administrative law judge, who could force Comcast to carry the NFL programming at a certain price.

"We are pleased with today's FCC ruling and appreciate the commissioners' attention to our complaint," the NFL Network said in a statement. "NFL cable viewers could soon be the real winners."

Comcast has argued that consumers will have to pay more for programming many may not want if the company is forced to include the NFL Network in its regular digital cable package.

In a statement, the company said its "programming decisions are in the best interest of our consumers and consistent with the law," adding that "forcing these networks onto our cable systems will cost consumers millions of dollars and cause cable prices to rise."

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Sorry I was feeling a tad lazy at the time.

Only if you give me some special award for doing so :P

FCC sides with NFL Network in dispute with Comcast

Story Highlights

The FCC has sided with the NFL in hits dispute with Comcast

The FCC ruled that the cable company should carry the NFL Network

Decrease font Decrease font

Enlarge font Enlarge font

ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry I was feeling a tad lazy at the time.

Thanks!

Actually it's not and 250GB is more than enough. What most people are upset about is that Comcast, and others, don't tell you about the cap and advertise unlimited. This is practice used by most IPS for advertising and in the end they will just do traffic shaping anyway. Also if people didn't pirate this would never be an issue anyway and if you need more than 250GB a month you may want to re-evaluate your life.

Bull shit, streaming movies over the internet is a growing trend which can easily blow the limit imposed, not only that but games are also using larger and larger texture files as well as implementing netcodes that take advantage of higher bandwidth thus they aren't as likely to compress their transmissions thus using more bandwidth. the data limit is to cover up the telco's and cable companies poor planning and implementation of technologies throughout the country. Take a look at Japan.

I could download over 7.5 Gb a month in Iraq at 5kbps just updating my files, games, computer and playing online, I now have internet service over 300 times faster than that here in Iraq, I easily blow through 250gb a month just normally gaming and updating things, once I start streaming movies and football over the net faghedaboudit.

I'm sure you know how many movies that is....who needs to download 250GB a month(legally OR illegally)? Going by that, you'd have to buy an external hard drive a month....

Makes pounding motion *nail on head*

Bull shit, streaming movies over the internet is a growing trend which can easily blow the limit imposed, not only that but games are also using larger and larger texture files as well as implementing netcodes that take advantage of higher bandwidth thus they aren't as likely to compress their transmissions thus using more bandwidth. the data limit is to cover up the telco's and cable companies poor planning and implementation of technologies throughout the country. Take a look at Japan.

I could download over 7.5 Gb a month in Iraq at 5kbps just updating my files, games, computer and playing online, I now have internet service over 300 times faster than that here in Iraq, I easily blow through 250gb a month just normally gaming and updating things, once I start streaming movies and football over the net faghedaboudit.

Fibs! There's no way! I haven't put 250GB of anything on my computer and I've had it for 3 years....and I download music and movies, and play games, just as you....

Fibs! There's no way! I haven't put 250GB of anything on my computer and I've had it for 3 years....and I download music and movies, and play games, just as you....

99% of what you would be downloading are temp files that get wiped out. At least that is what I would imagine. You don't think your computer stores every piece of information you gather while playing games online do you?

99% of what you would be downloading are temp files that get wiped out. At least that is what I would imagine. You don't think your computer stores every piece of information you gather while playing games online do you?

I have a 60gig comp...there's no way there's been 250gigs of information stored on this thing in it's whole life....I download and delete things a lot, but not quadruple the total size of my hard drive....I mean, I have DC++ through the campus and it's great because there's every movie and music you'd ever want, but even I can't download that much crap.

I have a 60gig comp...there's no way there's been 250gigs of information stored on this thing in it's whole life....I download and delete things a lot, but not quadruple the total size of my hard drive....I mean, I have DC++ through the campus and it's great because there's every movie and music you'd ever want, but even I can't download that much crap.

You didn't read what I wrote did you? We are not talking about music. Streaming videos are downloaded to your computer and are deleted automatically. When you are playing a game you are downloading information from the internet. That information is automatically deleted.

At least that is how I understand the process.

You don't know what you are talking about. I have over a terabyte of storage on my PC and another laptop. Just because you download low quality MP3's and movies at 640x800 resolution doesn't mean I do. I'm streaming an NFl game right now at 700k a second.

Guess what with faster internet speeds websites will stream higher quality content which requires faster speeds and large over all files, it's how websites that stream media compete with each other. When I got my first computer the best streaming media you could get came in at 12kbps, which killed my pathetic 48.8k connection, now I have over 300 times the bandwidth (15 mbps) and sites offer up to 2 mbps streams.

You people are like bill gates when he said no one would ever need more than 512 K of ram

You don't know what you are talking about. I have over a terabyte of storage on my PC and another laptop. Just because you download low quality MP3's and movies at 640x800 resolution doesn't mean I do. I'm streaming an NFl game right now at 700k a second.

Guess what with faster internet speeds websites will stream higher quality content which requires faster speeds and large over all files, it's how websites that stream media compete with each other. When I got my first computer the best streaming media you could get came in at 12kbps, which killed my pathetic 48.8k connection, now I have over 300 times the bandwidth (15 mbps) and sites offer up to 2 mbps streams.

You people are like bill gates when he said no one would ever need more than 512 K of ram

It must excite you to think you will be able to stalk people online at a much faster rate.

Yeah OK, Stalkus Maximus.

Should I contact base legal and have a JAG officer contact you since you are accusing me of stalking you? As you know an accusation like that would mean a criminal case against me, so either I go and contact a JAG officer on wednesday and get the process started, or you drop the crap.

And Nem will know that the Marine Corps is pretty sensitive about legal cases against their Marines, and he knows that the JAG officer will be contacting him as well.