SportsWrath

revisiting Phil

Gspotter

I've always conteded that he deserves to be in. I realize, of course, that this is debated only in the Ny/NJ locale, since (I'm out of state) I know it doesn't get much (if any) air play out in my neck of the woods.

I'd say that his competitive passing yards (with Montana) while we were a running team is significant. I'd also say that his longevity is important.

I've heard many of the other reasons why not including the obvious, however I'd be interested to hear the educated posters of this MB post their opinions.

Of course, if Joe Namath is in then I'm perplexed at how Phil is so easily discounted.

Joe Namath is a major part of why the AFL and NFL merged. Phil Simms was an above average/good quarterback who was on 2 SB winning teams with insane defenses.

kind of like Terry Bradshaw, only better stats <_<

Namath is a HOF IMO for the reasons you mentioned, but he was a 49% passer and had a losing record as a starter in the NFL, if he is in Simms is in. Simms played what would be the equivalent of a perfect game in baseball in SB XXI, he was 22-25 and had 2 passes dropped. Man was lights out and record setting on the biggest stage there was.

We dont hear much debate on this out here. I believe he should be in the HOF, no question. When I talk with buddys about it, they laugh and say I'm crazy. But like xxi-xxv said about that Superbowl performance, it was a no hitter in the championship. That will live for a long time, if not ever. PUT HIM IN!

Guest Carbo

Phil Simms definitely belongs in Canton. He was an outstanding QB, who epitomized toughness and leadership. Keys at that position that are not easy to come by. (Witness what the Giants have right now).

And as has already been stated, his MVP performance in the Super Bowl is the stuff of legends. If he isn't a Halll of Famer, than there is no reason for a Hall of Fame.

Guest Lockhart
Phil Simms definitely belongs in Canton. He was an outstanding QB, who epitomized toughness and leadership. Keys at that position that are not easy to come by. (Witness what the Giants have right now).

And as has already been stated, his MVP performance in the Super Bowl is the stuff of legends. If he isn't a Halll of Famer, than there is no reason for a Hall of Fame.

while all giant fans (and a good many NFC East fans) might think this, Phil will never get in. I just wish the Giants had a QB now, with the guts, arm, determination, and brains that Simm's had. Hostetler did okay, but the Giants have never found a replacement at QB for Phil Simms.

Dont get me wrong I love Phil, But if you want to compare him to Eli look at Phil's second season stats....

G Com Att Com % Yards TD INT Rate

13 193 402 48.0 2,321 15 19 58.9

16 294 557 52.8 3,762 24 17 75.9

Not saying Eli is better then Phil just saying Eli was better in his second season...Alot better for that matter.

Now with that said, How can you judge Eli as a bust in his second season when you Say Simms is a HOF'er??

Joe Namath is a major part of why the AFL and NFL merged. Phil Simms was an above average/good quarterback who was on 2 SB winning teams with insane defenses.

Your right....Joe was a major factor in why the merger was a success and for that he is a HOF'er

Phil in his day was better then Avg / good...What made Phil the superstar he is today was his record SB...Players have gotten in with less...So I say put him in :clap:

Guest Lockhart
Dont get me wrong I love Phil, But if you want to compare him to Eli look at Phil's second season stats....

Not saying Eli is better then Phil just saying Eli was better in his second season...Alot better for that matter.

Now with that said, How can you judge Eli as a bust in his second season when you Say Simms is a HOF'er??

the Giants Simms second season were awful - Had Simms had the offense Eli had this year, the giants would have won more games. Simms had a strong arm and guts in the pocket - both are absent from Eli's game.

Guest Carbo
while all giant fans (and a good many NFC East fans) might think this, Phil will never get in. I just wish the Giants had a QB now, with the guts, arm, determination, and brains that Simm's had. Hostetler did okay, but the Giants have never found a replacement at QB for Phil Simms.
I remember Parcells saying that whenever Simms retired, whoever followed him would always hear, "He's OK. But he ain't no Phil Simms".

the Giants Simms second season were awful - Had Simms had the offense Eli had this year, the giants would have won more games. Simms had a strong arm and guts in the pocket - both are absent from Eli's game.

I don't recall anyone saying the Phil Simms had a strong arm. I think you're making up shit again. You really need to stop, you're Embarrassing yourself.

If you're going to dog Eli, at least tell the truth.

Guest Nutty Sack

Your last sentence is so ridiculous it isn't worthy a response. As for comparing second seasons, if Phil had the offensive weapons and a veteran line like Eli had .........well I think you know the rest.

Phil belongs in the HOF. If he hadn't got hurt he would have had two Super Bowl wins and would be a shoe in. I believe the Giants were 11 and 0 before he got hurt.

Guest Lockhart
I don't recall anyone saying the Phil Simms had a strong arm. I think you're making up shit again. You really need to stop, you're Embarrassing yourself.

If you're going to dog Eli, at least tell the truth.

Well it's quite apparent you never saw Phil Simm's play or you never would have said something so dumb - Phil had a VERY strong arm. As he said many times, you have a to have a strong arm to QB in the Meadowlands during November and December due to the swirling , cold winds. this is why he always questioned Chad Pennington and now we see another weak armed QB failing in the Meadwolands.

Simms was also a tough guy and stood tall in the pocket before throwing accurately downfield. Give a young Phil Simms the current Giant offense he is all-pro every year - especially if he could replace that flake Shockey with Mark Bavaro.

Edited by Lockhart

Guest Floyd The Barber
<_<

Yeah Eli has no Guts in the Pocket

36063834_a8e161d16b_m.jpg

reg-1147768-715450.embedded.jpg

p1_eli1_ap.jpg

its no wonder this guy has problems connecting with his WR's...he throws with his eyes closed !!!

Phil actually did and does have a strong arm. I recall, just prior to the SB this year, Dan Patrick remarked about Theismann, Simms, and some of the other former elite and he said that Phil still had a rocket.

Phil's arm was well-preserved and his work stands for itself. Not only would he have been the leader of Bill Walsh's 49er's had they had a an earlier pick in 79, but Phil may have had gaudy stats. As it goes, he did keep pace with Montana on a couple of season for passing yards and that's a tough one when you're a running team, especially in the red zone.

He should go in, but I'm sure it won't happen.

Guest Lockhart
<_<

Yeah Eli has no Guts in the Pocket

36063834_a8e161d16b_m.jpg

reg-1147768-715450.embedded.jpg

p1_eli1_ap.jpg

He looks horrible in those pictures - eyes closed, throwing like a girl. If the Giants had seen pictures like these before the 2004 draft they would have taken Ben - too bad . Ben, like Phil stands tall in the pockeyt and isn't shrinking away like some violet.

Guest nosebleed
Well it's quite apparent you never saw Phil Simm's play or you never would have said something so dumb - Phil had a VERY strong arm. As he said many times, you have a to have a strong arm to QB in the Meadowlands during November and December due to the swirling , cold winds. this is why he always questioned Chad Pennington and now we see another weak armed QB failing in the Meadwolands.

Simms was also a tough guy and stood tall in the pocket before throwing accurately downfield. Give a young Phil Simms the current Giant offense he is all-pro every year - especially if he could replace that flake Shockey with Mark Bavaro.

Not only did Phil have a very strong arm, he was a frequent visitor to the weight room. Phil used to work out with his offensive lineman. Can you imagine the weakling attempting this????

Just because he said it, doesn't mean he had one. Please reflame from spreading lies.

Phil Simms:

accurate QB - Yes

Tough QB- Yes

Smart QB - Yes

Strong arm - No

Guest Carbo
Not only did Phil have a very strong arm, he was a frequent visitor to the weight room. Phil used to work out with his offensive lineman. Can you imagine the weakling attempting this????
'tis true about Phil and the weight room. After a few injuries early in his careet, he decided to, as he said, "put on a coat of armor". So he started hanging with his lineman in the weightroom, and they took him under their respective wings, and became teammates in the truest sense of the word.

Guest Carbo
Just because he said it, doesn't mean he had one. Please reflame from spreading lies.

Phil Simms:

accurate QB - Yes

Tough QB- Yes

Smart QB - Yes

Strong arm - No

NeMesiS, you must not have ever seen him play. Simms definitely had a strong arm. As has already been pointed out in this thread, no QB can be successful in The Meadowlands without a cannon. The winds are horrible.

NeMesiS, you must not have ever seen him play. Simms definitely had a strong arm. As has already been pointed out in this thread, no QB can be successful in The Meadowlands without a cannon. The winds are horrible.

Carbo....I watched Phil play all the time. So don't give the BS, ok? Hell. I'm surprised you know who Phil Simms is. Especially, when you displayed your minimal of football knowledge.

Guest Carbo
Carbo....I watched Phil play all the time. So don't give the BS, ok? Hell. I'm surprised you know who Phil Simms is. Especially, when you displayed your minimal of football knowledge.
Ah, yes. When presented with logic and facts, the personal attacks fly. The last resort of the truly ignorant.

Ah, yes. When presented with logic and facts, the personal attacks fly. The last resort of the truly ignorant.

Here's another one...You are ignorant about FB and you know it.