SportsWrath

We signed Jesse Armstead!!!

BIGBLUE01

BACK WHERE HE BELONGS

SEPTEMBER 8, 2008

ALBANY, NY - Jessie Armstead has very strong opinions about what he should do with his life.

Former Giants LB Jessie Armstead joined the Giants Front Office

“I was born for football,” the former Giants linebacker said. “No matter what I do, it always results back to football. You can’t beat it.”

In that case, you have to join it. After working for a while as a voluntary coach, Armstead is now a full-time member of the Giants’ organization with the title of special assistant/consultant. His new job calls for him to handle a variety of roles.

“He is primarily going to be working with the coaching staff with special projects for them and specialize in some defensive assignments,” general manager Jerry Reese said. “He will also assist Charles Way in player development. Jessie’s duties will include recruiting free agents in as well. He’s really good with our football players, he’s a natural leader, good with the players, and he does a nice job staying in his lane but challenging the players to be better out there. We’re happy to have him back home.”

Armstead has spent so much time around the Giants most of the players probably assumed he was already a full-time staffer. One player who is thrilled he has officially made the transition is middle linebacker Antonio Pierce, who got to know Armstead when they were teammates on the Washington Redskins in 2002 and 2003.

“It’s good for me,” Pierce said. “Jessie obviously is somebody I look up to, somebody I played with, a great mentor, somebody who has been in the line of fire. A lot of times with me being the older guy in the linebacker crew, you look for advice and somebody helps you out from a player standpoint. He’s a coach, but he played the game and just recently, so I look to him for advice on what I should do and how I can get better. He’s an All-Pro and a great Giant.”

Armstead has never really left since joining the franchise as an eighth-round draft choice in 1993 – the last year the draft was eight rounds long. Oh, his career ended with short stints in Washington and Carolina after a nine-year stint with the Giants, but his heart always remained in Giants Stadium. After he retired following the 2004 season, Armstead would occasionally work with the team’s linebackers. In the last couple of years he’s been a fixture at training camp. Now he’s going to be here full-time, working on the field at every practice and accompanying the team on road trips.

“Jessie really wanted to come back home and be a part of the Giants organization and he’s really volunteered his time for the last couple of years,” Reese said. “He’s done a really nice job for us in everything we’ve asked him to do. So we’re happy to have him back and looking forward to the contribution he is going to make.”

“I like being around the organization helping out and trying to spread my knowledge as best I can with the younger guys and just helping everybody,” Armstead said. “I’m going to help out wherever I’m needed - with the defense, there with Charles also, and anything Jerry needs.

“Charles does a great job, hands down. But there are times when Charles needs a little help. He knows he has somebody he can depend on and that’s been through it the same way he’s been through it. That’s the good part, bringing somebody in that you know did it all.”

Way is an invaluable resource for so many players and now Armstead will also be a mentor.

“I think Jessie will be good for our locker room,” Pierce said. “I think the mentality Jessie brings to the game, the knowledge that he has of the game, the love he has for the game and the intensity he played the game with is something we need in our locker room. You can never have enough of that with him being in the film room, locker room, on the sidelines. There’s something there for everybody and not just the defense, but also the offense.”

“Jessie is so well respected around the league and in this organization and the players really look up to him,” Reese said. “He is still a leader to both the older and younger players. He has it. Some guys have it and he is a natural leader and people follow this guy easily. He is a positive influence around here so we’re excited to add him to our staff.”

Armstead was one of the Giants’ very best players of the last two decades. A team leader and splendid linebacker, he never missed a game in his nine seasons with the team and was selected to five consecutive Pro Bowls (1997-2001). Armstead was the leading tackler on the 2000 NFC championship team, a locker room leader and a stand-up guy with the media throughout his career.

“Jessie was the most instinctive player I ever scouted,” Reese said. “He could see things before it happened and he could really unwind things fast, especially screen plays. Jessie could read screen plays and get out there and make plays on a screen with nobody out there except him. I was always in awe how his instincts enabled him to read things that other players didn’t see until a couple of seconds later. He would always see it quicker than anybody else. So I will always admire that about Jessie and admire the leadership and the warrior mentality he brought to that locker room down there. He’s going to be a great influence down there for us.”

Armstead, a Dallas native who played at the University of Miami, now spends most of his time in the metropolitan area. He does have a vision that extends beyond football. Armstead has owned several car dealerships and is building a new Honda showroom just off the New Jersey Turnpike. But working with the Giants in the stadium where he starred on so many Sunday afternoons is what he most wants to do.

“I’ll be around here most of the time,” Armstead said. “There’s going to be times where I’ll be somewhere else, but most of the time I’ll be around football. I love it. The one thing about it, I go up to the meeting and my body isn’t beat up. That’s the great part about it.”

On June 12, 2007 - four years after playing his final NFL game and six years after wearing a Giants uniform for the last time - Armstead signed a one-day contract so he could officially retire as a Giant.

“I’ll always be a Giant,” Armstead said that day.

With this new job, that just might be true.

Ref: Holding... Defense #75. 5 yard penalty.

Me while watching the replay: WTF!? HE NEVER EVEN MADE CONTACT!!!!!!!!!!

That is why they only showed it once....and the announcers one of them Phil Simms is still looking for the holding. So Dilfer calms down (plus the Ravens pull in the reins) and instead of one of his patented free gifts that would have changed the complexion of the whole game; we get to watch Collins run scared from actual and imagined blitzes.

That is why they only showed it once....and the announcers one of them Phil Simms is still looking for the holding. So Dilfer calms down (plus the Ravens pull in the reins) and instead of one of his patented free gifts that would have changed the complexion of the whole game; we get to watch Collins run scared from actual and imagined blitzes.

Hamilton took a swipe at the RB's (IIRC Priest Holmes) shoulder but missed by a good 1.5 feet. Right after that Sehorn and Williams blow coverage and the game was over from that point on.

Hochuli. I worked in his firm for years before I changed to the career I'm in now. But fuck him anyway.

You should've hit him with a swift chop block to the back of the knee, just like Ric Flair, before you left the firm.

You should've hit him with a swift chop block to the back of the knee, just like Ric Flair, before you left the firm.

LOL, you RARELY saw him, and his firm is pretty large. He has a football enclosed in a glass case autographed by a bunch of players. I contemplated heisting it many times. :ph34r:

Hochuli. I worked in his firm for years before I changed to the career I'm in now. But fuck him anyway.

I remember. I have some mental block with his name. I mean compare the officiating in that game to what you saw in the playoffs and superbowl. They let the guys play as opposed to making shit up so that the last old time owner could go to the grave with a super bowl win. It was a conspiracy I tell ya....a conspiracy. :P And yeah...double fuck that bastard.

Hamilton took a swipe at the RB's (IIRC Priest Holmes) shoulder but missed by a good 1.5 feet. Right after that Sehorn and Williams blow coverage and the game was over from that point on.

What also came out recently is that Fassel was running scared and changed up his entire game plan. Something that Toomer related recently that had the Giants uptight and fucking confused as all hell; especially on offense. Sehorn was a glorified FS who never should have been our top corner back. He was exposed in that game like no one's business.

LOL, you RARELY saw him, and his firm is pretty large. He has a football enclosed in a glass case autographed by a bunch of players. I contemplated heisting it many times. :ph34r:

I would not sign his guest list at his fucking funeral the bastard. Calling an interior lineman for holding. S.O.B. :furious: