SportsWrath

Burress

Lughead

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- Plaxico Burress missed the New York Giants' first two training camp practices on Friday with an ankle injury while his agent spoke with the Super Bowl champions about renegotiating his contract.

"There is no connection," agent Drew Rosenhaus said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press when asked if Burress was sitting out because of the contract problems.

Burress, who caught a late game-winning 13-yard touchdown pass in the Super Bowl, refused to practice during a minicamp in June until the team gave him a new contract. He was fined about $25,000.

He has three years remaining his six-year, $25 million deal. He will earn $3.25 million this year, $3.5 million in 2009 and $3.75 million in 2010.

Burress refused to comment after the morning practice at the University at Albany. He spent most of the practices either riding a stationary bike or standing on the field watching the workouts.

Coach Tom Coughlin had said on Thursday that Burress would be limited to one practice a day because of an ankle injury but the team's leading receiver told him on Friday morning that he would not be able to practice.

Meanwhile, Rosenhaus met with assistant general manager Kevin Abrams on Friday morning in Albany.

"We've been in discussions," Rosenhaus said. "The discussions are ongoing. We are hoping to get this resolved. We had hoped to get this resolved before training camp."

Rosenhaus said nothing was imminent on a new contract.

Burress lags well behind some of the league's top receivers in terms of pay. Terrell Owens of Dallas and Randy Moss of New England recently signed three-year contracts for $27 million, while Larry Fitzgerald of the Arizona Cardinals got a four-year, $40 million contract with a $30 million guarantee.

Teammates insisted the contract issue was between Burress and the team. They also weren't worried about his injury, noting the nine-year veteran led the team with 70 catches for 1,025 yards and a career-high 12 touchdowns despite playing with a season-long ankle injury.

Burress has caught 209 passes as a Giant, leading the team in catches in two of his three seasons.

Middle linebacker Antonio Pierce said that players have to take care of their families first, adding that almost every player is not satisfied with their contract.

"He (Burress) is obviously not healthy enough to be out there," Pierce said. "He proved that he can play when he is not healthy. Why would you want to do that every season? When you get up in age that is not going to work for you every season."

Super Bowl MVP Eli Manning noted that Burress barely practiced last season and had an outstanding year.

"Hopefully, it won't come to that this year, that he'll get back and get healthy and get going," the quarterback said. "That will all work itself out."

The Giants are deep at receiver with veteran Amani Toomer and three young receivers -- Sinorice Moss, Steve Smith and rookie Mario Manningham.

Toomer and Moss both caught long passes in the morning practice, with Manning hitting Toomer on his first pass of the training camp.

Defensive end Osi Umenyiora felt the differences between the Giants and Burress would be resolved.

He said: "We have all the confidence in Plaxico Burress that when it is time to be ready to go, he'll be ready to go."

I am sure his "ankle" will be better before week 1

I am sure his "ankle" will be better before week 1

My guess is A. He's pulling a Michael Strahan and B. He's putting pressure on the organization to renegotiate his deal.

This is one hell of an ankle "injury" that's for sure. ;)

My guess is A. He's pulling a Michael Strahan and B. He's putting pressure on the organization to renegotiate his deal.

This is one hell of an ankle "injury" that's for sure. ;)

How can he be pulling a Michael Strahan? Strahan didn't show up to camp..Plax did.

There is absolutely no correlation between the two men.

This Orginazation better start paying there players. I dont know what the big deal was that we had to have a new stadium. Giants Stadium was fine. Everyone on this team as is can be contenders for years to come and that will make good players wanna come here.

This Orginazation better start paying there players. I dont know what the big deal was that we had to have a new stadium. Giants Stadium was fine. Everyone on this team as is can be contenders for years to come and that will make good players wanna come here.

I kinda agree, but most of the people looking for new deals have multiple years left on their current contracts. I'd like to see Jacobs get a deal, but they have to protect themselves with him, he has to prove he can play 16 games before he gets paid top dollar, especially when we have what most of us think is a very good back in Bradshaw.

Plax i agree is "underpaid" by market standards, but he is also coming off an injury.

The Giants can't appear cheap to prospective free agents, but they also can't look weak to their under contract players, or everyone who feels he could squeeze a few more dollars out will pull the same shit.

How can he be pulling a Michael Strahan? Strahan didn't show up to camp..Plax did.

There is absolutely no correlation between the two men.

The end result is the same.. he gets to sit out.. which I don't disagree with. I'm all for camp but most of the time it's grueling.

So the extensions of Chris Snee, David Diehl, Seubert and Tuck don't mean a thing?

I kinda agree, but most of the people looking for new deals have multiple years left on their current contracts. I'd like to see Jacobs get a deal, but they have to protect themselves with him, he has to prove he can play 16 games before he gets paid top dollar, especially when we have what most of us think is a very good back in Bradshaw.

Plax i agree is "underpaid" by market standards, but he is also coming off an injury.

The Giants can't appear cheap to prospective free agents, but they also can't look weak to their under contract players, or everyone who feels he could squeeze a few more dollars out will pull the same shit.

Sure they can...they just won the Superbowl.

And the Cowboys are a more glorious free agent destination? They just cut a long time vet for reasons that some players would frown upon.

Our stance on Plax won't affect our success in free agency. We heard TC wouldn't be able to attract free agents and then he signed the best three on the market in 05.

And the Cowboys are a more glorious free agent destination? They just cut a long time vet for reasons that some players would frown upon.

Our stance on Plax won't affect our success in free agency. We heard TC wouldn't be able to attract free agents and then he signed the best three on the market in 05.

Money makes the world go round.

The big deal is "OWNER GREED". With a new stadium they can charge more for seats/owner boxes. Don't forget that every dollar they don't pay a player is another one in their bank account. The owners don't care about the players or the fans. They only care about themselves and the size of their bank accounts.

The big deal is "OWNER GREED". With a new stadium they can charge more for seats/owner boxes. Don't forget that every dollar they don't pay a player is another one in their bank account. The owners don't care about the players or the fans. They only care about themselves and the size of their bank accounts.

Well everyone is entited to ROI. I don't fault the owners for wanting more revenue given the size of their investment.

And I think we have some of the best owners/organization in the league.. hands down.

And we are the Super Bowl Champions!!!! :flex:

Sure they can...they just won the Superbowl.

True, and I'm with you on this for the most part. But you have to figure at some point there will be a free agent that we would really like to have that might not sign with us because of pervieved cheapness. Onbiously a lot of guys were taken care of, so that should really show the opposite.

I'm sure everyone knows my stance about Burress by now. I will admit, I'm more of a GM than a Player kind of guy. I like to took at the situation from all angles. Look, all I ask is that Burress honors his current contract before he ask for another deal.. and it's not like the Giants won't give him a new deal when the end of his current one ends.

Plax want to be a Giant.. then he needs to put on the uniform and keep his mouth shut. And it's not like he's the only stud WR out there... if he leaves, the Giants can use the same amount of money to sign another WR with similar talents...

Ah the mysterious ankle injury on the eve of training camp. I really don't care, just as long as he is ready to open the season healthy. Doubt they work something out during training camp, lets hope it happens for him during the season.

from true blue:

July 28, 2008

Plax talks

Here are some of the highlights of Plaxico Burress first press briefing of the camp, talking about his ankle and his contract.

How he hurt the ankle

"It's something I did a couple of weeks ago, the team knew about it and I went to see a doctor in Carolina. The biggest thing for me is to be healthy, that's the bottom line. It didn't have anything to do with contract, anything like that. If that was the case then I wouldn't be here."

"I'm just trying to prevent what I went through last year. I don't want to play at the same level I did last year. I want to be better. And the only way for me to do that is to rest and get to be 100 percent healthy so I can go out and take my game to the next level."

On people thinking his sitting out is contract related.

"It doesn't matter what people think. If it had something to do with my contract then I'd be in South Florida somewhere just relaxing."

On the new injury

"The injury I had last year is healed. It's just sore and this is just something where basically I don't want to go through the same thing I went through last year. It's very frustrating what I went through last year and while I did good i know I can do a lot better."

"We're just trying different things with my shoes and cleats and things like that. When I get healed up and everything gets to be 100 percent then I think I'll be OK."

On his contract situation

"At the end of the day [the contract] will take care of itself. I know I'm one of the best players at the position in this league. I know I can play. I'm going to go out and keep doing what I'm doing and have the best year of my career. Whatever happens at the end of the day as long as you go out and perform, go out and prove to people to to yourself that you are a great player it will take care of itself."

On his optimism it would get done by now

"I really didn't want it to get to that point, But as a player and competitor I'm going to move on from that. i guess I kind of see where I stand at from that aspect. I'm going to go out and take my game to the next level and try to be great week in and week out. I can't do that if I'm not healthy."

More on the new injury

"This is football, things are going to happen. So I go out and run routes hard and you are going to get banged up."

"I'm getting rehabs two or three times a day. It's not what it was last year."

"From a personal standpoint, I'm going to go out there when I feel good. I've stressed that to them that I'm not going to go out there and do what I did last year. All it is that I can be healthy so I can go out there and be great."

"When I was home working out and running routes I was feeling just fine. Maybe I shouldn't have gone out and run with no tape on my ankles, I was running routes and I just rolled it a little bit. My thing is just to rest it and get to be 100 percent."

"Other than the ankle I'm doing just fine."

On his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, being in town over the weekend

"I don't know if he was here for me, I thought he was here for Kenny [Phillips]. I turned around and he was here. I had no knowledge he was here."

"You don't have to ask Drew anything, he'll tell you everything."

On possibly wearing orthotics

"I've never worn them in my whole career. So I'm going to fit them on and try a few things and tell people at Nike to make a few tweaks to my shoes to see that and see how it feels. Where going to try different things out and see how they feel. If it doesn't feel good just walking around I'm probably not going to wear them."

More contract

"I'm going to keep doing what I do. I'm going to go out and make plays and what ever I do can help my team. My show on the field will take care of everything else."

On other wideouts contract

"Some of the guys are in different situations that I'm in, some of them were free agents. They deserve it. As far as myself, I consider myself to be one of the elite guys. You just keep going out and playing ball and at the end of the day just sit down and look at everything and see where I stack up at."

Does he know when he'll be back on the field?

"No."

NY Giants were proactive in Burress contract talks

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger Tuesday July 29, 2008, 2:46 PM

ALBANY, N.Y. - With all the talk in recent weeks about Plaxico Burress wanting a new contract and upset so far with the offers, it's easy to paint the Giants as a team that won't take care of a player who persevered through injury for them last season.

That would be inaccurate.

In fact, the Giants started the contract talks, says someone familiar with the way the negotiations began. The person, who requested anonymity because negotiations are ongoing, said the team wanted to do right by Burress after he led them to a Super Bowl with knee, ankle, shoulder and pinky injuries. (Remember, the Giants gave T David Diehl a contract extension after he played every position on the line, except center, in his first five seasons).

Now, does the fact they went to Burress first mean they should get a multi-million-dollar discount? No. And it's obvious Burress and Drew Rosenhaus don't feel that way. Plus, I'm sure the Giants knew Burress and Rosenhaus would be calling them eventually.

But it's just a little nugget in a time when the team isn't saying much and is being portrayed as a cold, uncaring organization that's conducting business with no regard for its employees. That is not the case at all.

Except for what I just told you, I haven't heard anything new on negotiations between the two sides. If I do, I'll be sure to pass it along.

Now, out to practice I go.

MG

You were saying?