SportsWrath

Burress will show...

randoff

Buress didn't break his foot though. Bro, I swear I played with fractured foot not knowing it was fractured till after the game in the ER. Maybe I have high pain tolerance... And i'm not even basing my criticism for Plax on that... if he was too hurt to play, he would've sat.. evidently he was able to play despite the pain... We all applaud him for that. The issue is he has 3 years left on his contract and if he continues to play at the level he played last season, the Giants or any other team will pay premium dollar for him.

Is he afraid his 2007 performance was an aberation? Why sign a six year contract if you're going to stall halfway thru it? Why not sign a 3 year contract?

Does anyone have the contract details broke down by earnings by year? I would be shocked if it was front loaded and now that he's at the lower end (because he already made the big bucks), he's crying wolf.

Did you play on that foot for 5 months, risk your career, and help carry your team to a SB?

with the rapidly expanding league-wide cap and the normally good approach the giants take to handling the cap, i highly doubt the giants will put themselves in a fucked up state.

the giants take care of their players. i love the fact our FO is being defined for that.

Exactly. Which makes Plax's holdout all much more childish.

Did you play on that foot for 5 months, risk your career, and help carry your team to a SB?

That's not the measure. As a matter of fact therein lies the reason he gets paid 7 figures and I don't. What does that have to do with anything anyway? He's getting paid.. handsomely I might add. It's on his shoulders to show class and stop whining about his contract.

Only on the sandlots of the Bronx. They are riddled with broken syringes and crack vials.

For your information, I lived in Brooklyn Heights most of my life. I recently moved to the Bronx when I decided to own instead of renting... owning in my mid 20s... not bad for a guy who sent himself to school and had to pay his parents rent while at it.

Exactly. Which makes Plax's holdout all much more childish.

This would be the lamest holdout of all time then. He "missed" (he was on the sidelines, remember?) 3 days of mini-camp with his ankle at 90%. Even if he didn't say what he did, do you think Coughlin would be so stupid as to not let him continue healing in the off-season? This isn't exactly the same as doing bench presses on his driveway...

The guy isn't just looking for a raise--he's also looking for an extension so he can retire here. He's said it repeatedly, and made a point of saying how happy he is with this team. He's no where near pulling "pay me or trade me" bullshit.

He's one of the better wide-receivers in the league, and has proven to be particularly valuable to this team. He's matured dramatically as far a attitude goes, and has debunked every rumor that was coming out of Pittsburgh when he was a FA; which had caused his value to plummet back then. In my opinion, he has earned on merit a raise alone, and certainly an extension.

This would be the lamest holdout of all time then. He "missed" (he was on the sidelines, remember?) 3 days of mini-camp with his ankle at 90%. Even if he didn't say what he did, do you think Coughlin would be so stupid as to not let him continue healing in the off-season? This isn't exactly the same as doing bench presses on his driveway...

The guy isn't just looking for a raise--he's also looking for an extension so he can retire here. He's said it repeatedly, and made a point of saying how happy he is with this team. He's no where near pulling "pay me or trade me" bullshit.

He's one of the better wide-receivers in the league, and has proven to be particularly valuable to this team. He's matured dramatically as far a attitude goes, and has debunked every rumor that was coming out of Pittsburgh when he was a FA; which had caused his value to plummet back then. In my opinion, he has earned on merit a raise alone, and certainly an extension.

And all I'm saying is he should continue playing till there's 2 years left on his contract then ask for a regotiation.

That's not the measure. As a matter of fact therein lies the reason he gets paid 7 figures and I don't. What does that have to do with anything anyway? He's getting paid.. handsomely I might add. It's on his shoulders to show class and stop whining about his contract.

His peers that are around his level all just got new deals and its natural for a big time player and agent to look for deals that match it.

i know you dont like this part of the game but do you at least understand that it is going to be a part of it for a while? when players out perform their contracts they are going to ask for a new one.

will peterson was locked into an extension and in his second year he was cut because of an injury. were you criticizing the FO then?

His peers that are around his level all just got new deals and its natural for a big time player and agent to look for deals that match it.

i know you dont like this part of the game but do you at least understand that it is going to be a part of it for a while? when players out perform their contracts they are going to ask for a new one.

will peterson was locked into an extension and in his second year he was cut because of an injury. were you criticizing the FO then?

No I wouldnt' criticize the FO because they would be paying for someone who's not performing. I guess that's where I disagree with some of you guys. I have more of a GM/business mentality. If we keep spoiling these players, we won't have much money to retain other talents or lure them.

Injuries that Burress had this year:

Torn ligament in his left ankle.

Sprained MCL.

Torn pinky finger tendon.

Seperated shoulder.

Yeah, he was really exaggerating those injuries.

1st chapter of Plax's book

So to "prove" Plax wasn't exaggerating his injuries, you post his own book as your source? :unsure:

Btw, I'm walking with a fractured toe as we speak. I will be heading to the ER later on tonight because it's gotten worse...

No I wouldnt' criticize the FO because they would be paying for someone who's not performing. I guess that's where I disagree with some of you guys. I have more of a GM/business mentality. If we keep spoiling these players, we won't have much money to retain other talents or lure them.

So you'd rather NOT sign Burress to an Extension. Allow him to hold out and then allow Burress to leave the Giants to 'lure' another reciever in? You'd still have to pay another reciever BIG money and you'd have paid for Burress not to 'show up'. All Burress wants is an extension to REMAIN a Giant. He's happy in NYC, he WANTS to stay past 2 yrs. What is wrong with that? Number two, the Giants ORG has money, there will always be money to lure one or two FA, or a big name. But I do believe that the Giants GM did a EXCELLENT job and saved the Giants tremendous monies with the players we have in place. So to pay Burress to remain on this Giants team with a great nucleus would be wise dont ya think??

So you'd rather NOT sign Burress to an Extension. Allow him to hold out and then allow Burress to leave the Giants to 'lure' another reciever in? You'd still have to pay another reciever BIG money and you'd have paid for Burress not to 'show up'. All Burress wants is an extension to REMAIN a Giant. He's happy in NYC, he WANTS to stay past 2 yrs. What is wrong with that? Number two, the Giants ORG has money, there will always be money to lure one or two FA, or a big name. But I do believe that the Giants GM did a EXCELLENT job and saved the Giants tremendous monies with the players we have in place. So to pay Burress to remain on this Giants team with a great nucleus would be wise dont ya think??

I don't have a problem with Buress being a Giant.. he should remain a Giant.. where I have a problem is him making it an issue when he still has THREE years on his contract. Jeez.. you think if he plays well this upcoming season, the Giants won't sign him to an extension?

I don't have a problem with Buress being a Giant.. he should remain a Giant.. where I have a problem is him making it an issue when he still has THREE years on his contract. Jeez.. you think if he plays well this upcoming season, the Giants won't sign him to an extension?

AH, but therein lies the problem. Let's say, for arguments sake ONLY (not a jinx, not a jinx, not a jinx), Plax has a serious injury in 2008 that sidelines him for a good portion of the season. His #'s drop, and all of a sudden, he's not exactly worth what he was in the '07 post-season. Let's say his injury is bad enough to IR him. He sure as Hell isn't going to be worth as much in '09 as he was going into the '08 season, now is he? So, he wants the security of an extension NOW, when he's worth it, and still an asset to the Giants. Plax is coming off a few injuries from last season, and claims to be at 90% right now. He has 3 years left on his deal, so what? Contracts get redone all the time, and usually with alot more antics than what is going on with Plax. As has been said a thousand times in this thread already, teams can arbitrarily ditch on a contract, so, if Plax gets the extension and fails to produce, they can cut him anyway, so what's the difference? If I were the Giants, I wouldn't even blink at an extension, and would hope that Plax stayed injury free, and was motivated by a loyal front office to continue to produce.

AH, but therein lies the problem. Let's say, for arguments sake ONLY (not a jinx, not a jinx, not a jinx), Plax has a serious injury in 2008 that sidelines him for a good portion of the season. His #'s drop, and all of a sudden, he's not exactly worth what he was in the '07 post-season. Let's say his injury is bad enough to IR him. He sure as Hell isn't going to be worth as much in '09 as he was going into the '08 season, now is he? So, he wants the security of an extension NOW, when he's worth it, and still an asset to the Giants. Plax is coming off a few injuries from last season, and claims to be at 90% right now. He has 3 years left on his deal, so what? Contracts get redone all the time, and usually with alot more antics than what is going on with Plax. As has been said a thousand times in this thread already, teams can arbitrarily ditch on a contract, so, if Plax gets the extension and fails to produce, they can cut him anyway, so what's the difference? If I were the Giants, I wouldn't even blink at an extension, and would hope that Plax stayed injury free, and was motivated by a loyal front office to continue to produce.

I see what's up...NAS wants Plax to play ONE more year to 'prove his worth'. Anything short of the winning catch in a Superbowl, Plax deserves to be cut!!!! Now if Burress is instrumental in the Giants winning SB 43 over the Jags....ONLY THEN should Plax get his raise and extension. Plax didn't do shit last year, he sucked!!! <_<:)

Well this guy didn't even show 'loyalty' to any team:

"The Oakland Raiders signed free-agent wide receiver Javon Walker to a stunning six-year, $55 million deal that includes $27 million in the first three years and $16 million guaranteed."

Is he better than Plax? And was Javon Walker ever saying he wanted to 'remain a[fill in the team] for the rest of my career?

16 MIL Guaranteed!!!! Wow! And NO SB winning catch! :unsure::)

NAS:

Here's another WR we could have 'lured'....

"Contract Information for Jerry Porter 2/29/2008: Signed a six-year, $30 million contract. The deal contains $10 million guaranteed, including a $3 million signing bonus. "

Question? Is HE better than Burress? Was the Jags crazy for 'luring' this guy in?

I see what's up...NAS wants Plax to play ONE more year to 'prove his worth'. Anything short of the winning catch in a Superbowl, Plax deserves to be cut!!!! Now if Burress is instrumental in the Giants winning SB 43 over the Jags....ONLY THEN should Plax get his raise and extension. Plax didn't do shit last year, he sucked!!! <_ src="//content.invisioncic.com/q62071/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)">

I wouldn't say that, sarge. Nas actually has a very valid point in that Plax signed a deal, he should honor it, plain and simple. I feel the same way, as probably most of us do. You signed it, live by it. But we also realize that it really doesn't work that way in today's NFL, and considering what Plax has done, most of us don't see a problem with renegotiating. Nas does, and he's entitled to that opinion. In the end it really doesn't matter though, does it? Plax will get his extension, and some more coin, and we will win another Superbowl with him.

................................Then we'll cut him.

I wouldn't say that, sarge. Nas actually has a very valid point in that Plax signed a deal, he should honor it, plain and simple. I feel the same way, as probably most of us do. You signed it, live by it. But we also realize that it really doesn't work that way in today's NFL, and considering what Plax has done, most of us don't see a problem with renegotiating. Nas does, and he's entitled to that opinion. In the end it really doesn't matter though, does it? Plax will get his extension, and some more coin, and we will win another Superbowl with him.

That my friend...sums it all up! ;)

That sums it up perfectly. I do approach contracts more from a GM/Team point of view than a fan/player point of view.