SportsWrath

Nice quote on our fourth rounder

gateb

"Kehl is just a flat-out player. He is one of those guys who is always around the football and is a ball hog and makes a lot of plays," BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall said. "I have talked to some people out there and they tell me one thing about this guy, he is not only an athlete but he has got a mind that is absolutely unreal and football is important to him."

I didn't know anything about this kid before today, but as I read up on him....he sounds like a real steal and the kind of player that fits right into the Giants' playbook.

Solid pick. Too bad they had to give up one of their 6th round picks to move up though! Must be they didn't think he'd be on the board when it was their turn.

Should be a solid backup for us who can potentially turn into a starter.
He probably will have no trouble learning with the Giants. His college major is Mechanical Engineering, not an easy, no work required subject. I believe in the ability of GM Reese to choose players. Just look at what he did last year in the draft. I/M/O this man has a special talent for the analysis of the potential of players that he chooses. :TU: :worshippy:

He probably will have no trouble learning with the Giants. His college major is Mechanical Engineering, not an easy, no work required subject. I believe in the ability of GM Reese to choose players. Just look at what he did last year in the draft. I/M/O this man has a special talent for the analysis of the potential of players that he chooses. :TU: :worshippy:

No doubt he's smart as he was recruited out of highschool by Harvard and Yale. A 4.0 type student who was also team captain.

The more I read, the more I like.

He's faster than most people think and was in the top ten fastest linebackers at the combine beating out Xavier Adibi even though he had slower times there than his pro-day and individual workouts with teams.

He's also like Eli in that he will spend a lot of extra hours watching film trying to get better knowledge of his opponents as well as trying to improve his moves.

He has been praised by his coaches for his unbelievable work ethic and was the only member of his BYU football team who threw a fit because they dropped the "two practices a day" rule and started holding only one practice a day. His favorite player is Walter Payton because of Payton's work ethic.

Here's a long writeup on him by one scouting firm:

Has broad shoulders, a developing frame with good upper body bulk, tight waist, long arms and soft, natural hands to cleanly field the ball... Shows excellent timing and leaping ability to compete for jump balls at its high point... Has very good weight room strength, but needs to find a way to translate it to the field ...Runs with a normal stride and quickly accelerates in space...Shows good quickness, agility and balance on the move...Very smart, productive and hard working athlete who leads by example and always has a high motor...Demonstrates good ability to learn and has good eyes for locating the ball when playing down the line....Shows good football instincts and puts in extra hours studying tapes...A team player who is very coachable...Works and trains hard and is a good leader on and off the field...Plays alert and is instinctive, he is quick to recognize and react to the play, can adjust on the move and has the ability to quickly accelerate and get to the ball...Shows good desire and effort in both short and long pursuit, has the ability to accelerate and get to the ball...Has functional strength at the point of attack, demonstrating the ability to stack and control blocks and to quickly fill and take on blocks and control the point ...Uses his hands and strength adequately to take on and shed blocks...Has quick hands and the ability to slip blocks and work through traffic...Shows the ability to engage and control tight ends and to keep separation in the short-area passing game...Exhibits good tackling form, as he will hit and wrap up with proper technique to take the runner down (will be even more effective once he learns to use his weight room strength to punish)...Against the inside run he is decent at the point of attack when trying to control the lead blocker...Quick to fill and take on a block and control the point of attack...On the outside run, he can separate, disengage and work through traffic well, especially in space, as he works hard to get to the ball, showing a good motor and ability to sift through trash...Has the ability to widen with tight-end blocks and to quickly shed to make plays...Separates and disengages from blocks while in pursuit, working through traffic and in space to get to outside runs, as he has enough acceleration to close ...Displays good effort on long and short pursuit, as well as good acceleration to get to the ball...Not used often as a blitzer, but will attack the backfield and use a quick arm-over to defeat the block...Shows good urgency and effort when rushing the quarterback...Is more of a hit-and-wrap-up tackler than a punisher, but has the functional strength on contact to take down the ballcarrier...He gets to his spots in pass drops/coverage and shows awareness and the ability to quickly react and adjust with speed and quickness...Shows route and receiver awareness while in zone coverage and is able to extend and catch the ball with ease...Very capable gunner on special teams, doing a nice job of flying down field to break up the wedge.

Both Kehl and Goff are cerebral, stellar character, and highly athletic linebackers. Both excelled as Mechanical Engineering majors (not exactly a slouch subject). Both push themselves to the limit to improve their abilities and become the best in their position and both have the optimum size and speed for their positions. On top of that, both are known as leaders in the locker room as Kehl was team Captain at BYU and Goff was 2-time team Captain at Vanderbilt. One has to be made up of high character to be chosen "Captain" and is a character gauge among scouts and NFL execs. Two-time Captains are extremely rare in college as the distinction rarely goes to an underclassman unless he is shows outstanding leadership.

These two picks could revolutionize our linebacking corps for the next few years. My bet is, is that Kiwi will stay a hybrid and play a little linebacker and play a little defensive end, depending on who the Giants are playing and what scheme they are going with for the week.

Anyway....I love both these picks.