SportsWrath

Ward breaks left fibula

but its ok cuz when BJ gets hurt start Ward...when Ward goes down then BJ is healed by then

these two are hurt every 2-3 weeks

That all depends on how they get hurt.

Yeah, but you can't blame Ward for his broken bones. Those things are just

freak accidents that you can't plan on. On the other hand you can prevent

such things like groin pulls and shit like that.

"Blame" isn't a word I'd use here. I thought Ward was a pretty good back before this year, and he'll continue to be a good back. But while I'm not accusing Ward of anything, we also can't deny that he has a hard time staying on the field for whatever reason.

You can say the same thing about Jacobs, if you prefer. With Bradshaw and Droughns, we can handle one running back with that tendency. I'm not all that secure with two of them.

I'm not sold on letting Ward go, I'm just saying it's not a no-brainer like you would like it to be when negotiating a contract.

You really want twinkle toes on this team? I'd rather have Ron Dayne back.

oh no I was just saying his name to throw a name out there. I see he is struggling in Seattle this year but isn't he coming back from an injury?

I don't Know give me some names of Rb's that would be available to us

oh no I was just saying his name to throw a name out there. I see he is struggling in Seattle this year but isn't he coming back from an injury?

I don't Know give me some names of Rb's that would be available to us

He isn't that good anymore, too many injuries and not enough talent.

Sure was a good back for a long time though.

Julius Jones is a free agent, he'd be a good pick up if you ask me.

I know Bad Egg knows more about him, but I don't know if he's lost

any favor with Cowboys management, has he Egg?

I think Michael Turner is a free agent this year, and he's not going to get the contract he wants from San Diego. But he's going to want a hell of a lot more money than we would spend on a draft pick, and for the purposes you are describing (a replacement for Droughns), it would be poor spending if you're keeping Ward.

I think Michael Turner is a free agent this year, and he's not going to get the contract he wants from San Diego. But he's going to want a hell of a lot more money than we would spend on a draft pick, and for the purposes you are describing (a replacement for Droughns), it would be poor spending if you're keeping Ward.

Yeah, but I think he wants to start.

I am with you though, I don't like the fact that Jacobs plays 5 games and then sits

out the next 3. I think when both are healthy that Gilbride should make up a formation

with both of them in the backfield. That would be the tits.

I'm with you, too. Nothing could have been done to prevent that injury. It was very unfortunate that the defensive player fell right onto his leg like that. Ward has been nothing but successful for us when he gets his touches. Albeit, he does need to get the fumbling out of his game.

I'm with you, too. Nothing could have been done to prevent that injury. It was very unfortunate that the defensive player fell right onto his leg like that. Ward has been nothing but successful for us when he gets his touches. Albeit, he does need to get the fumbling out of his game.

You guys are acting as if I'm trashing Ward--which couldn't be further from the truth.

All I'm saying is that he has a tendency to get injured: not that he's to blame for it, but that it doesn't help the team as a whole. The broken bone isn't his first injury this year and he's been in and out of the lineup, just like Jacobs. Last year (or maybe the year before) he managed to wind up on IR, despite getting almost no playing time.

He's a very good running back, which is why this isn't going to be an easy call. If he had the talent level of Tim Carter, there would be no problem with making the choice. If he didn't have the injuries, this would be a simple decision to make as well.

If Jacobs wasn't having just as much trouble staying on the field as Ward, I wouldn't think twice about keeping Ward--he is that good. But when you have half of your squad bouncing in and out of the lineup with injuries, that's a really big chance you're taking, and hobbles your teams' ability to develop consistency. (I'm not even going to voice what I'm worried about--but just think about what happened to our linebackers in 2005.)

Not to take anything away from Spags, but don't you think his job was made easier without guys like Emmons, Arrington, Short, and (it pains me to say this) Greisen being "game to game" like we had to deal with the last two years?

Exactly. Labeling Ward 'injury prone' for broken bones is bollox. If it's the same fracture which isn't healing then I'll give it to you, but otherwise it's just really bad luck.

The hamstring and groin pulls plaguing our team (along with all the muscle tares last year) demands an overhall of the Strength & Conditioning team.

Hookay...

Tim Carter:

2002: Achilles Tendon Tear, IR

2003: Concussions, IR

2004: broken hip, IR

Derrick Ward:

2005: groin injury, IR

2006: broken foot, IR

2007: broken leg, IR (Yes, I'm making an assumption here)

Each placed on injured reserve for 3 consecutive years. Neither placed on IR for any chronic injury, but for unrelated injuries which one could attribute to "bad luck." One is considered "injury-prone," "brittle," etc.: One is not. :unsure:

Oddly enough, one could make the argument that the "injury-prone" player had completely unrelated injuries (bone injury, head trauma, soft-tissue tear), while the other (two bone injuries) might show reason for concern.

Conclusion: Being "injury prone" is a function of talent, not whether or not you can stay on the field.

Thanks for the insight, guys. :rolleyes:

Hookay...

Tim Carter:

2002: Achilles Tendon Tear, IR

2003: Concussions, IR

2004: broken hip, IR

Derrick Ward:

Each placed on injured reserve for 3 consecutive years. Neither placed on IR for any chronic injury, but for unrelated injuries which one could attribute to "bad luck." One is considered "injury-prone," "brittle," etc.: One is not. :unsure:

Oddly enough, one could make the argument that the "injury-prone" player had completely unrelated injuries (bone injury, head trauma, soft-tissue tear), while the other (two bone injuries) might show reason for concern.

Conclusion: Being "injury prone" is a function of talent, not whether or not you can stay on the field.

I don't buy into the 'injury prone' label for either. Unless it's a re-occuring injury then it's a useless observation bandied about by the media. Carter cops it all the time though most would be startled to know he played 31 of 32 games in the last two seasons with us, and 43 of 45 games in the last three years.

I don't buy into the 'injury prone' label for either. Unless it's a re-occuring injury then it's a useless observation bandied about by the media. Carter cops it all the time though most would be startled to know he played 31 of 32 games in the last two seasons with us, and 43 of 45 games in the last three years.

That's fair.

But the basic question stands: what kind of a contract do you give Ward, considering his injury history? (If you don't want to label him, that's fine. But I don't see how you can ignore it, either.) And even if you try to structure it so that it's incentive-laden, does he accept it?

Like I've already said numerous times on this thread, I have no problem at all with his ability, but I do have reservations. Particularly when put in context with the other players in the running game. I feel like I'm talking in circles, but I can't think of a better way of explaining it.

That's fair.

But the basic question stands: what kind of a contract do you give Ward, considering his injury history? (If you don't want to label him, that's fine. But I don't see how you can ignore it, either.) And even if you try to structure it so that it's incentive-laden, does he accept it?

Like I've already said numerous times on this thread, I have no problem at all with his ability, but I do have reservations. Particularly when put in context with the other players in the running game. I feel like I'm talking in circles, but I can't think of a better way of explaining it.

I understand your point, but personally I don't think his injuries should factor into it. We're better off locking him up before a bidding war starts. He's a proven talent and a big help on an inconsistant offense. I don't want to risk trying to replace him in the draft with an unknown late-round pick just to save a few bucks.

Hookay...

Derrick Ward:

Ward has bad luck and in 2006 he broke his foot when he slipped walking into the stadium (or something like that). Maybe he does need to take some calcium pills.