Nas

QB  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB would you rather have

• Eli Manning
    • Big Ben
    • Rivers
    • Other (name him... or her)
  2. 2. For those who didn't select Eli, did you think that in 2004?

• Yes
    • No

Tennessee game, up by 21 points with 7 minutes left in the 4th quarter, let's throw the ball.

I am so glad Huffnagel is gone, I expect the offense to flourish this year.

I'm with you kid. And our D should be much better too which means the O won't have to carry the team.

I kinda agree. But there has also been many times were WR's would get hit in the numbers just to drop it.
That's true. Weird too, isn't it? Shockey will stretch out and make a great catch... next play one bounces off his chest.

Tennessee game, up by 21 points with 7 minutes left in the 4th quarter, let's throw the ball.

I am so glad Huffnagel is gone, I expect the offense to flourish this year.

Bad coaching is a culprit as well, no doubt. But don't expect it to get better this year. I did a search on Gilbride over the last 15 years; something like 12 out of 15 years his offense finished in the bottom third of the league. And let's remember that Gilbride is the guy who was responsible for Eli's "growth" up to this point in his career... bang up job he's done so far.

Eli gets a free pass this year; it's next year with a new coach and OC that we'll get to see if it's Eli or the coaching staff. I think it's probably both. If Eli plays like Eli over the next two years I think it'll be time to start thinking about a new direction, but if he blossoms like he was supposed to last year, we'll be in good shape.

And a good D should help, as Nas said. I think we'll be in good shape with Spags next year... I expect our D to carry us to at least four wins next year.

I was impressed with Eli's performance against the Eagles in the playoffs. He had nothing going his way early, and looked like he wanted to crawl under the bench and suck his thumb, but he rebounded nicely to put the Giants in a position to steal the game. Like I've said before, I like Eli as our QB, and I have defended him for 3 years, but he needs to step it up. It's not all bad coaching. He was on fire early on for the last 2 seasons with the same coaches.

Yes, the coaches are morons for calling pass plays with a 21 point lead against Tennessee, but it's also the QB's job not to fuck things up even worse by trying to make passes that are at risk of being picked off. He could throw the ball away, take a sack, anything but put it in the defense's hands. He's done this numerous times, not just against Tennessee. For all the talk about the Denver and SD game, think about it... we've been marveling at those 2 games for 2 seasons. When will we get to talk about the next great Eli moment?

That's true. Weird too, isn't it? Shockey will stretch out and make a great catch... next play one bounces off his chest.

Bad coaching is a culprit as well, no doubt. But don't expect it to get better this year. I did a search on Gilbride over the last 15 years; something like 12 out of 15 years his offense finished in the bottom third of the league. And let's remember that Gilbride is the guy who was responsible for Eli's "growth" up to this point in his career... bang up job he's done so far.

Eli gets a free pass this year; it's next year with a new coach and OC that we'll get to see if it's Eli or the coaching staff. I think it's probably both. If Eli plays like Eli over the next two years I think it'll be time to start thinking about a new direction, but if he blossoms like he was supposed to last year, we'll be in good shape.

And a good D should help, as Nas said. I think we'll be in good shape with Spags next year... I expect our D to carry us to at least four wins next year.

This is part of the problem with Eli. He's always getting a free pass. He's a rookie, he's a first year starter, it's not him, it's the coaching. He's never had a QB behind him to compete with him AT ALL, so he knows the job is his no matter how bad he plays. It's time for this guy to step up, and play smart football. The physical gifts are there, it's all in his head. I seriously think he needs a beard...

I was impressed with Eli's performance against the Eagles in the playoffs. He had nothing going his way early, and looked like he wanted to crawl under the bench and suck his thumb, but he rebounded nicely to put the Giants in a position to steal the game. Like I've said before, I like Eli as our QB, and I have defended him for 3 years, but he needs to step it up. It's not all bad coaching. He was on fire early on for the last 2 seasons with the same coaches.

Yes, the coaches are morons for calling pass plays with a 21 point lead against Tennessee, but it's also the QB's job not to fuck things up even worse by trying to make passes that are at risk of being picked off. He could throw the ball away, take a sack, anything but put it in the defense's hands. He's done this numerous times, not just against Tennessee. For all the talk about the Denver and SD game, think about it... we've been marveling at those 2 games for 2 seasons. When will we get to talk about the next great Eli moment?

I guess you missed the Philly game where we came back and beat 'em in overtime?

I guess you missed the Philly game where we came back and beat 'em in overtime?

No, I didn't, Eli was awesome that game, but everyone always talks about the Denver game and SD game as proof that he has "it". He doesn't show "it" enough, and loses more games than he wins at this point. It's not concerning to you that after 3 seasons, he has 2 shining moments that people refer to, and one of them was a loss?

When I think of shining Eli moments, I think of three things:

1. The comeback win vs. Dallas as a rookie.

2. The Denver win.

3. The Eagles win (which I actually missed most of... it was a nice day and I wanted to go hiking, and I was sure we'd lose).

When I think of shitty Eli moments:

1. The Baltimore game his rookie year (a zero QB rating, I believe).

2. Jacksonville last year.

3. Tennessee last year.

Also, it's a bit disconcerting that as far as bad Eli moments go, TWO of them came from last year... isn't he supposed to be "progressing?" Which brings us back to... why the hell did Gilbride get promoted?

The points about the defense are very vaild especially when you consider that ELI Mannings last pass of the 2006 season was a game tying TD with 6 minutes to go in a game and he never touched the ball again. Stop and think about that one? Pitiful is you ask me and probably something you very rarely see from even mediocre defenses.

No, I didn't, Eli was awesome that game, but everyone always talks about the Denver game and SD game as proof that he has "it". He doesn't show "it" enough, and loses more games than he wins at this point. It's not concerning to you that after 3 seasons, he has 2 shining moments that people refer to, and one of them was a loss?

Two shining moments?

You just said you saw the Philly game, that wasn't a shining moment? You're kidding.

He's even got some shining moments in games that we've lost, like the Indy game where he outplayed his brother and had us in the game with the superbowl chumps.

Also, it's a bit disconcerting that as far as bad Eli moments go, TWO of them came from last year... isn't he supposed to be "progressing?" Which brings us back to... why the hell did Gilbride get promoted?

What did we have in common with the 8-8 Bengals last year Seph?

Besides the record ofcourse.

Two shining moments?

You just said you saw the Philly game, that wasn't a shining moment? You're kidding.

He's even got some shining moments in games that we've lost, like the Indy game where he outplayed his brother and had us in the game with the superbowl chumps.

Yeah, the Dallas game in 2005, where they couldn't do diddly squat until the last 1:30 in the game only to lose on a coin

toss in overtime.

In 2005 against Minnesota (4 Ints not withstanding) Eli leads the team to tie the game with like 45 seconds left,

the defense which didn't allow a touchdown (a streak that lasted through 4 or 5 games I believe) and had been

playing great for 59:15 let's Brad Johnson drive it down their throats.

I also remember in Eli's rookie year, OUTPLAYING Ben Roethlisberger by leaps and bounds, only to

let the defense shit on his performance again.

The points about the defense are very vaild especially when you consider that ELI Mannings last pass of the 2006 season was a game tying TD with 6 minutes to go in a game and he never touched the ball again. Stop and think about that one? Pitiful is you ask me and probably something you very rarely see from even mediocre defenses.

That was a nice pass too. I remember thinking that Eli really can be good, I'd just like to see it more often.

Two shining moments?

I said everyone talks about the Denver game and the SD game as if that's enough to validate him as a future great QB. Those are the two moments that always come up when someone defends Eli. I didn't say the Philly game wasn't a good moment for Eli, I said he was awesome in that game, but that was Week 2. He was nothing near the QB he was in that game during Weeks 3-17, was he?

He needs to be more consistent during games. Like the playoff game against the Eagles. Yeah, he brought the team back at the end, but he also failed to get any points on the board when the Giants had starting field position inside the 50 yard line 3 times early in the game.

Yeah, the Dallas game in 2005, where they couldn't do diddly squat until the last 1:30 in the game only to lose on a coin

toss in overtime.

In 2005 against Minnesota (4 Ints not withstanding) Eli leads the team to tie the game with like 45 seconds left,

the defense which didn't allow a touchdown (a streak that lasted through 4 or 5 games I believe) and had been

playing great for 59:15 let's Brad Johnson drive it down their throats.

I also remember in Eli's rookie year, OUTPLAYING Ben Roethlisberger by leaps and bounds, only to

let the defense shit on his performance again.

Take away those 4 INTS and the defense doesn't have a chance to blow the game at the end.

I said everyone talks about the Denver game and the SD game as if that's enough to validate him as a future great QB. Those are the two moments that always come up when someone defends Eli. I didn't say the Philly game wasn't a good moment for Eli, I said he was awesome in that game, but that was Week 2. He was nothing near the QB he was in that game during Weeks 3-17, was he?

He needs to be more consistent during games. Like the playoff game against the Eagles. Yeah, he brought the team back at the end, but he also failed to get any points on the board when the Giants had starting field position inside the 50 yard line 3 times early in the game.

Lets see, Hufnagle had the best Giants running back ever and he never used him inside the 20s. The playcalling

was atrocious in that game.

Hmm, I have a 6'4 267 pound running back, but I will never use him.

Lets see, Hufnagle had the best Giants running back ever and he never used him inside the 20s. The playcalling

was atrocious in that game.

Hmm, I have a 6'4 267 pound running back, but I will never use him.

You're right about that, but that still doesn't excuse Eli Manning from throwing 4 INTS, one that was picked off near the Vikings end zone and ran back for a crushing TD. Even if you settle for a FG there, it's a 10 point swing. Eli needs to play smarter and protect the football in that spot.

Why is that Eli's fault? Shouldn't the special teams have been blamed also for missing

an obscene amount of tackles?

It's his fault because he threw them to the wrong team. :confused:

How can you defend a guy's performance in a game in which he threw 4 picks?

You're right about that, but that still doesn't excuse Eli Manning from throwing 4 INTS, one that was picked off near the Vikings end zone and ran back for a crushing TD. Even if you settle for a FG there, it's a 10 point swing. Eli needs to play smarter and protect the football in that spot.

Even the best have off days.

It's his fault because he threw them to the wrong team. :confused:

How can you defend a guy's performance in a game in which he threw 4 picks?

I do recall him leading the team down the field for the tying score.

He played like shit that game AND still led the team for the tying score.

That's how I'm defending him.

I do recall him leading the team down the field for the tying score.

He played like shit that game AND still led the team for the tying score.

That's how I'm defending him.

That's fine, and I'm saying, maybe if he doesn't play good for only one quarter, that game isn't close and there is no need for a comeback at the end. He's had quite a few games like this, and he didn't have to be great throughout the game to win it. He just had to be good. Instead, he's bad for 3 quarters, great for one, and the Giants ALMOST win. Sorry, but I want the Giants to WIN.

I think he played well in week 1,2, 5,13,14 and he played ok in the 7,8 enough for us to win anyway.

But you're right about his consistency he needs to step it up this year.

But Eli has off days for 9 weeks in a row.

Eli Manning's 2006 Stats, scroll down a bit.

Eli had a terrible 3 game stretch vs the Bears, Jacksonville and Tennessee.

The Bears and Jacksonville games were horrible by Eli, Tiki and everyone involved by the New York Giants.

Tennessee: Giants are up by 21 with 7 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Hufnagel decides to throw the ball.

Again up by 21 points, we throw the ball. Eli Manning has one on one coverage on Plaxico, expect Plaxico decides to

take that play off and just quit on the ball. The Titans score 3 touchdowns in 7 minutes due to a missed sack

by Mathias Kiwanuka and a boneheaded interference play by "all-pro" Frank Walker. Giants then get the ball.

Eli throws to David Tyree who starts to loaf on his route, Pac-man Jones jumps in front of it.

While I agree Eli Manning is part of the problem, his receivers are too. When was the last time you saw

a Giants wideout besides Amani Toomer come back for the ball? I haven't, at all. Boneheaded play calling

is also part of the problem.

I also like the fact that Kevin Gilbride will not coddle Eli, it seems John Hufnagel did. Hufnagel couldn't harm a plant,

he is too nice of a guy. You saw it against Philly, Eli threw a bad interception and Gilbride was all over him.

My projected stats for Eli Manning this year. 28 Touchdowns 11 Interceptions, 3,800 yards.

Put it in your signature or whatever, I bet you Eli goes for those numbers.