SportsWrath

LINEBACKER WATCH

boohyah

According to NFL.com, former Eagles LB Keith Adams worked out for us this week.

Maybe the idea will be to sign a bunch of backup linebackers in the hopes that one of them catches fire like Short did last year.

Hopefully not though.

I have a feeling our starting LB corp will look like this:

Weakside: Wilkinson

Middle: Pierce

Strong: Whichever OLB we draft 1st round

Wilk and the 1st pick could switch sides, and Blackburn could make a strong push too for an OLB position, but in the end that is who it will be. Not entirely a bad situation with two young guys with Pierce being a strong leader/teacher inbetween.

Wilk and the 1st pick could switch sides, and Blackburn could make a strong push too for an OLB position, but in the end that is who it will be. Not entirely a bad situation with two young guys with Pierce being a strong leader/teacher inbetween.

Seriously, you guys makeme laugh. Nobody wants to give Chase a chance. You'd all rather put in a LB from college, no matter who he is will have no real NFL playing time or credibility. Chase has been there and done a good job and you wanna say he can make a push when he's shown he can do it. <_< How I hope he out works, out hustles, out plays, everyone in training camp and keeps that pace all year at a OLB postition.

Give a chance? Did I not say he would make a strong showing for the starting job? How is that not a chance? Don't get me wrong I really like Blackburn and he has shown a lot everytime he gets on the field, but I will leave you with this one thing to think about:

Blackburn was beat out for a starting job last season by Carlos Emmons.

Give a chance? Did I not say he would make a strong showing for the starting job? How is that not a chance? Don't get me wrong I really like Blackburn and he has shown a lot everytime he gets on the field, but I will leave you with this one thing to think about:

Blackburn was beat out for a starting job last season by Carlos Emmons.

EA would have cried if Emmons was on the bench.... with him gone alot of EA's fuckups are out of town or will not see playing time due to thier paychecks.....

Drafting a LB in the first round is the way to go, and I hope he gives Chase a run for his money. If the last three seasons have taught us anything DEPTH IS MOST IMPORTANT

Emmons will beat out any 2nd year LBer out there in training camp. And if I remember correctly, didnt Emmons sit out alot of training camp? :confused: Making Gorrila's point all the moe strong?

I like Blackburn's hustle too and hope he gets his shot.

Do we still have Torbor?

Torbor has a tendered offer but I do not believe he has signed it yet.

I knew the weakness in the Emmons comment was the fact he is a vet, and would be given preference based on that. But I think the same argument could be made about a first-round draft pick. A first round pick and a big contract would be invested in the player, so he would be given preferential treatment in deciding who starts.

From comments Spag has made about the LB strategy he has said that while 4-3 would be the primary formation there would be more 3-4 looks and I'd like to see Blackburn step in next to Pierce in that situation. Keep in mind Blackburn is slated as a MLB and Pierce is not losing that position, that certainly hurts his chances at getting a starting job.

Listen I think Blackburn is a great player, he has shown he is nothing less than a quality backup that will not lower the performance of your starting LBs in a noticable way, but just because he has done well in VERY limited showings doesn't mean he should be automatically given a shot as a starter. Just as a first-rounder shouldn't be given the automatic position. If Blackburn does not get a shot at the job, given time with the first-team defense in training camp and in preseason games, then I will be very upset. I am not trying to diss him, I am just not going to say he should be given the starters job unchallenged. And I think in the end the coaching staff will choose to go with their first-round LB.

Who knows, we might not even take a LB first round though.

Chas will have his shot to earn a starting job when camp starts, if we do draft an OLB #1 that does not mean that he will be starting come day one... look at Bobby Carpenter at Dallas... Chase will get his opp to get that spot i just think Puz or Timmons would take it away

Chas will have his shot to earn a starting job when camp starts, if we do draft an OLB #1 that does not mean that he will be starting come day one... look at Bobby Carpenter at Dallas... Chase will get his opp to get that spot i just think Puz or Timmons would take it away

I know I said so THREE times now. Four after this post.

If Chase Blackburn starts for the Giants, then we've really hit the wall. IMO he's nothing more than a backup LB, who plays well on special teams. It's like people here talking about Nick Greisen being a starter a few years ago. He wasn't good enough either, if he was we would have kept him and Blackburn is not better than Greisen. Blackburn brings energy off the bench and that's the way it should stay.