SportsWrath

Is the Rhodes deal a done deal

Lughead

Slow Weekend About to Pick up?

By David Syvertsen | March 3rd, 2007

Print | E-mail

2006-01-19-porter.jpg USAToday.com

Instead of giving you a lengthy read on my opinions and views on what has been, or in our case, what has not been done, I am just going to give you some quick notes that I have put together from what I have been told and from what has been put out there into the media. But before I get to that, I want to applaud Reese for being financially smart these first few days. Money has been thrown around as if it meant nothing to players that are simply mediocre. People started to cry about O’Hara’s slight increase in contract offer but to think that he is getting pretty much the same contract as Visante Shiancoe and nothing even close to the likes of Derrick Dockery, I have to think he is making good business decisions which is half the battle in the NFL. With that said, here are my latest tidbits-

-RB Dominic Rhodes had a nice first half of his visit here in NY last night. His agent has been incredibly busy with a couple of other clients that have been signed over the past 24 hours, thus has not been able to dive into steep contract talks with the front office. Reports are indicating that a deal is in place and should be done by tommorow night at the latest, possibly as soon as this evening. No word on what the numbers are, I will get them to you as soon as I hear anything.

-OLB Cato June has been contacted by the Giants but there has not been any official visits set up. Why? Possibly because June’s agent is waiting to see how much he could get for June by waiting to see the contracts of Adalius Thomas and Joey Porter. However, June prefers to play in a Cover 2 defense where his abilities are best used, but I think he will go where the money leads him.

-Speaking of OLB Joey Porter, the Giants have expressed interest but that’s about it, which isn’t much. The likely destination for Porter will likely play the 3-4 defense where Porter has had his success and will also have a large amount of cap space. Why? Because Adalius Thomas is receiving a 6 year-$60 million contract from the Patriots which means Porter will likely demand something in the ball park of $6-$7 million per season, if not more. No visit has been arranged.

-G/OT Leonard Davis is seeking over $20 million in guaranteed money. The Cowboys passed and told him to come back if he lowers that demand but the Redskins are considering it for him to fill their LG spot. He does not want to play here because he is pretty much a lazy, self-consumed player that knows he will conflict with the coaching staff. By the way, his best friend is Hollis Thomas, who trashed the Giants organization when asked if he would want to play here.

-CB Roderick Hood is in Cleveland and had a visit scheduled for Arizona but his #1 team is the Giants. He has a strong relationship with Spags and feels he could excel in our system. The Giants have not contacted him yet, but plan to once they know of his contract demands now that Nate Clements has set a bar for CBs.

-OT Jordan Black from the Chiefs is one possibility to be brought in as a plan B version to the Leonard Davis situation. Black plays both LG and LT (better inside) and has done an exceptional job in KC blocking for Larry Johnson. He is supposed to be brought in for a visit next week.

-Another player I have not seen mentioned anywhere is DT Jon Scott from the Bears. He is being pursued by the Giants just as much as anyone not named Dominic Rhodes right now. The Giants have DT high on their priority list not because they need a new starter, but because they need a third DT for the rotation. Scott is a quick pass rushing DT that holds his ground in the run game, much like Fred Robbins.

-OLB Ike Reese has made his agent contact the Giants before anyone else to see if they are interested in him as a backup/special teams player. He played in Philly with Spags and is not a starter by any means, but he does bring the kind of attitude you want on your football team. He is 33 and not any better than the younger Brandon Short, so I do not see this happening.

-Thats all I have for now, check back later!!

sure dont sound like it here

giantsBanner.gif

March 03, 2007

Rhodes Takes Off Without DealDominic Rhodes' two-day visit with the Giants is now over, and he left Giants Stadium without a deal.

That doesn't mean he won't eventually get one, especially since a team source said the Giants "were favorably impressed." But teams usually like to lock up their top targets before they have a chance to go anywhere else. It is believed the Giants had at least preliminary contract talks with Rhodes' agent, Mike McCartney. It's not clear if Rhodes has any other visits planned.

Meanwhile, the Giants still haven't been able to lure big Leonard Davis to Giants Stadium, despite several conversations with his agent, Ryan Tollner, today.

So, it looks like the Giants will go 0 for the first 2 days of free agency. Considering some of the ridiculous contracts being thrown around the NFL, though, that's not necessarily a bad thing

Rhodes' visit over

Posted by Mike Garafolo March 03, 2007 6:40PM

RB Dominic Rhodes has concluded his visit with the Giants, the team confirmed. No contract yet, but that doesn't mean there's not one coming. A team spokesman said, "It was a good visit. We were impressed with him." You're not done hearing about the Giants and Rhodes. I'm just not sure when we'll hear something new or if he'll eventually sign to be part of a 1-2 punch with Brandon Jacobs.

As for OT Leonard Davis, they Giants confirmed they spoke to his agent several times today. But no visit has been scheduled as of this moment. No idea what he's waiting for.

If something happens, I will let you know. Otherwise, I'll see you in the morning.

Now, get out and do something. It's Saturday night...MG.

sounds like something arrington did

sure dont sound like it here

March 03, 2007

Rhodes Takes Off Without DealDominic Rhodes' two-day visit with the Giants is now over, and he left Giants Stadium without a deal.

That doesn't mean he won't eventually get one, especially since a team source said the Giants "were favorably impressed." But teams usually like to lock up their top targets before they have a chance to go anywhere else. It is believed the Giants had at least preliminary contract talks with Rhodes' agent, Mike McCartney. It's not clear if Rhodes has any other visits planned.

Meanwhile, the Giants still haven't been able to lure big Leonard Davis to Giants Stadium, despite several conversations with his agent, Ryan Tollner, today.

So, it looks like the Giants will go 0 for the first 2 days of free agency. Considering some of the ridiculous contracts being thrown around the NFL, though, that's not necessarily a bad thing

We must be holding out for Corey Dillon. :LMAO:

Not true, The Redskins sign free agents every year!!

I dont remember hearing many skins players bad mouthing thier coach and teamates. :confused:

I'm telling you, Reese is hanging TC. I dont expect much this free agency.

I don't know about you, but these contracts are flat-out insane. I'm cringing about what we'll see when we do sign someone.

That much for Shiancoe? Good luck with that...

It is a completely retarded transition from a lower cap number is what it is. The first two or three years after a major cap increase you see these kind of stupid numbers. Teams have money to throw around and holes to fill. The sad thing is the FA talent is pretty bad as far as average FA classes go, and these guys are bringing in contracts based off previous contracts for players far better than them.

I dont remember hearing many skins players bad mouthing thier coach and teamates. :confused:

I'm telling you, Reese is hanging TC. I dont expect much this free agency.

well Archuleta bad mouthed the org last year after he lost his place. But my point was Snyder, no matter waht he does each year, it fails. lame duck was him. It's much worse to have a bad owner than a bad coach.

There is no truth to reports that the Giants have expressed any interest in Colts linebacker Cato June. "It's not happening with the Giants," said June's agent, Brian Mackler.

DOM-NAMIC DUO

RHODES OK WITH SHARING JINTS' LOAD

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

Should he sign with the Giants, which is appearing increasingly likely, Dominic Rhodes would have no problem working in tandem with Brandon Jacobs in Big Blue's backfield. giants084a.jpg

article_print.gifarticle_email.gifarticle_digg.gifarticle_storybottom.gif March 4, 2007 -- Brandon Jacobs this offseason has in no uncertain terms made it clear he is the rightful heir to Tiki Barber's running-back throne. That should not be a problem if the Giants sign Dominic Rhodes to compliment the bruising Jacobs in the backfield.

Rhodes, 28, started all 16 regular-season games for the Super Bowl-champion Colts, but he was not demanding a starting role as he hit free agency. He is coming off a season in which he basically shared the halfback job with rookie Joseph Addai and has stated he has no issue with doing the same with a new team.

That new team likely will be the Giants. Rhodes' visit to Giants Stadium began Friday night with a get-to-know-you dinner with members of the coaching staff and concluded yesterday after more serious meetings. It is believed a deal will be worked out. If that turns out to be the case, the 6-4, 256-pound Jacobs will start and the 5-9, 203-pound Rhodes will inject a change-of-pace option into the Giants offense.

"Dominic did have a very good visit with the Giants," Rhodes' agent, Mike McCartney, said in an e-mail. "We'll keep talking and take it a day at a time."

A team spokesman agreed with that characterization of the visit, saying "We were favorable impressed."

Operating for the first time under the direction of general manager Jerry Reese, the Giants certainly aren't rushing into anything and appear eager to spread their money around, rather than dump most of it in one or two marquee players.

That means no Leonard Davis, a big man (365 pounds) who wants a big contract. He visited with the Cowboys on Friday and spent yesterday in Washington, D.C. meeting with the Redskins, where he was treated to a $100 lunch by quarterback Jason Campbell and last night dined with Redskins officials. The Giants believed Davis would stop by for a visit but that did not materialize, although they spoke several times with his agent, Ryan Tollner.

Davis said he will return home to Texas to chose between the Cowboys and Redskins. There are reports that Davis is seeking upwards of $20M in guaranteed money.

There is no truth to reports that the Giants have expressed any interest in Colts linebacker Cato June. "It's not happening with the Giants," said June's agent, Brian Mackler.

The Giants need to add another tight end, as Visanthe Shiancoe signed with the Vikings. The Giants had no interest in bringing Shiancoe back, as in four years he never developed as expected as a third-round draft pick in 2003.