SportsWrath

Yankees a lock to win world series in 2007..... heres why

MakeMeSomeFoodHo

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Excuse me, I'm not done yet.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

But honestly, they're one of the top contenders in the league but I wouldn't hand anything to them on a silver platter yet. All the sportswriters are criticizing the Yankees rotation right now...guess they wanted to wait until after the Johnson deal.

Ken Rosenthal:

Their effort to build a younger, more flexible roster is commendable and long overdue. There's just one problem: The Yankees left little margin for error with their rotation, and unless Clemens shows up in June, Jeff Karstens, Darrell Rasner and Co. could make an alarmingly high percentage of starts.

The off-season work of general manager Brian Cashman will look that much better if a youngster such as Philip Hughes or Humberto Sanchez emerges as a viable option. Then again, if a brittle veteran such as right-hander Mike Mussina and/or lefty Andy Pettitte gets injured, the focus will be on the short-term loss, not the long-term gain.

Dayn Perry:

And speaking of the Yankees, the trade of Randy Johnson, while thoroughly sensible from their perspective, means the Yanks presently must find two starters from a group that comprises Carl Pavano, Kei Igawa and Jeffrey Karstens. None of them is an optimal choice. Pavano has been on the 60-day DL four times since 2000, Igawa figures to have serious difficulties against the opposite side, and Karstens doesn't project as a quality major league starter.

and Tom Verducci

Excuse me, I'm not done yet.

But honestly, they're one of the top contenders in the league but I wouldn't hand anything to them on a silver platter yet. All the sportswriters are criticizing the Yankees rotation right now...guess they wanted to wait until after the Johnson deal.

Ken Rosenthal:

Their effort to build a younger, more flexible roster is commendable and long overdue. There's just one problem: The Yankees left little margin for error with their rotation, and unless Clemens shows up in June, Jeff Karstens, Darrell Rasner and Co. could make an alarmingly high percentage of starts.

The off-season work of general manager Brian Cashman will look that much better if a youngster such as Philip Hughes or Humberto Sanchez emerges as a viable option. Then again, if a brittle veteran such as right-hander Mike Mussina and/or lefty Andy Pettitte gets injured, the focus will be on the short-term loss, not the long-term gain.

Dayn Perry:

And speaking of the Yankees, the trade of Randy Johnson, while thoroughly sensible from their perspective, means the Yanks presently must find two starters from a group that comprises Carl Pavano, Kei Igawa and Jeffrey Karstens. None of them is an optimal choice. Pavano has been on the 60-day DL four times since 2000, Igawa figures to have serious difficulties against the opposite side, and Karstens doesn't project as a quality major league starter.

and Tom Verducci

going with the kids is something thats long overdue for the Yankees.

going with the kids is something thats long overdue for the Yankees.

It really is but you can only depend on them so much and history has long proven this. I really do applaud and flip off the Yankees, and specifically Cashman's moves, this offseason.

• 5 weeks later...
Then again, if a brittle veteran such as right-hander Mike Mussina and/or lefty Andy Pettitte gets injured, the focus will be on the short-term loss, not the long-term gain.

This guy just called Mussina brittle...credibility = gone.

This guy just called Mussina brittle...credibility = gone.

Excuse me, brittle of late. When you get older and deal with injuries for the first time in your career it's just as bad as being brittle throughout your entire career. You want my honest opinion? There are so many old pitchers around in Johnson, Schilling, Glavine, Maddux, Clemens, Mussina, etc. that not all of them can strike gold and I think Mussina may falter. Heck, our rotation has two older guys too and there's a chance they might crack, who knows.