SportsWrath

Coughlin

Lughead

link

Yes, they couldn't stop Jeff Garcia and Brian Westbrook when it mattered most, but it wasn't an embarrassing defeat. They may have played well enough to save Tom Coughlin's job. Now, I know if the players voted, Coughlin would be fired in a landslide. But players don't make those decisions.

The Giants need to ordain or hire a new general manager. This man should have a major say in Coughlin's future. And if he wants Coughlin gone, he should have a voice in his replacement. There is no question that New York's personnel department is not wild about Coughlin, meaning that Jerry Reese and Chris Mara, the two in-house candidates, would probably like to dump him and find a new head coach.

And on one final note, Tiki Barber went out like a champion — 137 yards rushing on 26 carries. I'm not upset that Barber is retiring. It's his life, his career. He's retiring with his knees and ankles in healthy condition. He has a great opportunity in television. One of the sad stories about this business is that too many players keep playing beyond their best seasons and leave the game in so much pain. Barber beat those odds and more power to him.

I was just thinking that he might end up staying.

New GM, new coach... it's a lot of upheaval. They might want to keep the coach for one more year (give him a two year deal) while the new GM gets his feet under him.

In 2007, I think we have a better shot at having a good regular season with Coughlin than with a new coach. But, with TC still here we can go 13-3 and not even make it to NFCCG. With a new coach we may be looking at another 8-8 or 9-7 season. But in '08 I feel whoever we hire (assuming that coach is an upgrade over Coughlin) has a better shot than Coughlin at winning a championship. It seems like Strahan isn't ready to retire yet, we should have two more years with him and Toomer, that's why we have our best shot with a new coach to win a SB in two years...but will have to suffer through another mediocre season.

If Coughlin stays I want these things to happen (in no particular order):

1. Admits he did not do a good job coaching this year

2. Will make changes to his own approach to coaching this team

3. Will make changes to his assistant coaches

4. Apologizes to the fans

5. Thanks the Giants org. for giving him another year

6. Will do a better job of actively reaching out to players. (Because the Giants don't respond to the Drill Instructor attitude ...cough...pussies...cough...)

7. Our new GM hired from outside the organization

If Coughlin stays I want these things to happen (in no particular order):

1. Admits he did not do a good job coaching this year

2. Will make changes to his own approach to coaching this team

3. Will make changes to his assistant coaches

4. Apologizes to the fans

5. Thanks the Giants org. for giving him another year

6. Will do a better job of actively reaching out to players. (Because the Giants don't respond to the Drill Instructor attitude ...cough...pussies...cough...)

7. Our new GM hired from outside the organization

It looks like Coughlin is staying. :mellow: