SportsWrath

Pre Free Agency/Combine/Draft Thoughts for 2015

Dragon

Drafting Collins doesn't eliminate the possibility we re-sign Rolle, or another FA safety to give us that experience, because I agree...having a "QB of the defense" there in the middle of the secondary is helpful in ensuring guys are lined up and know their job. I think the two of them could start next to each other and it'd be a hell of a learning experience for Collins. I should've added that I think we re-sign JPP, Rolle, and Thurmond...Bowman too if $$ allows for it.

I think that we should be able to get a quality interior linemen in the 3rd...though we may differ in who that actually ends up being.

Did we sign Ayers to more than one year? He's def gotta stay.

What do people think of DE Gregory out of Nebraska?

At 6'6 - he might struggle dipping the shoulder to get around more athletic OTs in the league or to obtain leverage. At 245 lbs, he'll struggle to hold the point of attack that a 4-3 DE needs to do. If he can add 20 lbs and maintain the speed, I think he'd be better off...but that would essentially make him Alvin Dupree out of Kentucky.

All that said, as the widely accepted #1 DE in the draft, he isn't going to be there when we're up at #9, so it's a bit of a moot point.

As it currently stands, I have the following going in the top 8 (not necessarily in order):

QB Mariota

QB Winston

DT Williams

DE Gregory

WR Cooper

OT Scherff

OT Peat

OLB Fowler

At 6'6 - he might struggle dipping the shoulder to get around more athletic OTs in the league or to obtain leverage. At 245 lbs, he'll struggle to hold the point of attack that a 4-3 DE needs to do. If he can add 20 lbs and maintain the speed, I think he'd be better off...but that would essentially make him Alvin Dupree out of Kentucky.

All that said, as the widely accepted #1 DE in the draft, he isn't going to be there when we're up at #9, so it's a bit of a moot point.

As it currently stands, I have the following going in the top 8 (not necessarily in order):

QB Mariota

QB Winston

DT Williams

DE Gregory

WR Cooper

OT Scherff

OT Peat

OLB Fowler

Apparently he wants to play at about 265. He has a great 1st step and bends really well

Peat is no good

My top ten

1. TB Winston

2. Titans Mariota

3. Jags Fowler

4. Raiders Williams

5. Skins Scherff

6. Jets Cooper

7. Bears Gregory

8. Falcons Dupree

9. Giants Flowers

10. Rams Ray

Apparently he wants to play at about 265. He has a great 1st step and bends really well

Peat is no good

My top ten

1. TB Winston

2. Titans Mariota

3. Jags Fowler

4. Raiders Williams

5. Skins Scherff

6. Jets Cooper

7. Bears Gregory

8. Falcons Dupree

9. Giants Flowers

10. Rams Ray

If he weighs in around 260 give or take, then yeah, he's going to be quite good...and if he's available at #7 as you project, I'd consider moving up those two spots to get him so long as it didn't cost an exorbitant amount to do so.

according to the draft chart it'd cost 150 points to trade up which is like a 4th and 5th rounder. or we give them a 3rd and they give us their 4th

I'd do it for our 5th this year given that it's at the top of the 5th round. Would not give up a 3rd or 4th, this year OR next. Again though, we'll see what he weighs in at next week and how he performs there.

Thoughts on Nick Marshall, former QB at Auburn, playing well at CB in the Senior Bowl and heading into the draft as a CB? Note that he played CB early in college before playing QB. So it's a switch back. Obviously there's a learning curve...but the size and speed are there.

Auburn is saying to expect Sammie Coates to run a low 4.3 forty. The guy is 6'2 220 lbs. He's a physical freak and legitimate deep threat and a red zone target. He's been flying under the radar as a potential second round pick, I don't expect him to last past 20.