SportsWrath

Umps suck

So I was at this game yesterday. Took our 5 year old son to his first Yankees game. That Ump was ridiculous. 

Then they couldn't get a run all game, and lost on a 2 run HR to the A's in the top of the 9th.

We still had fun though.

43 minutes ago, mastershake said:

So I was at this game yesterday. Took our 5 year old son to his first Yankees game. That Ump was ridiculous. 

Then they couldn't get a run all game, and lost on a 2 run HR to the A's in the top of the 9th.

We still had fun though.

That's a tough game with such a young kid, how did he hold up especially with not many hits?    Have you taken him to a minor league game?

3 hours ago, GorillaNJ said:

That's a tough game with such a young kid, how did he hold up especially with not many hits?    Have you taken him to a minor league game?

The game itself wasn't entertaining, but he was just loving the atmosphere, the music, food, plus he entertained himself by constantly calling the balls/strikes/outs (he loves numbers) on the big billboard. He was annoyed at the traffic on the way home trying to get to I-95, but eventually fell asleep, lol.

We haven't gone to a minor league game, but every year we go to a few Rockland Boulders games (Frontier League, loosely associated with MLB), which are like like 20 minutes away from us. It's a great deal, and they have a playground for the kids as well. Much easier to get in and out of, and the tickets are like $15-20, and on Saturdays after the games they do fireworks which the kids love. Much less stressful with young kids (especially our 2 soon to be 3 year old, who does not sit still for these).

18 minutes ago, mastershake said:

The game itself wasn't entertaining, but he was just loving the atmosphere, the music, food, plus he entertained himself by constantly calling the balls/strikes/outs (he loves numbers) on the big billboard.

We haven't gone to a minor league game, but every year we go to a few Rockland Boulders games, which are like like 20 minutes away from us. It's a great deal, and they have a playground for the kids as well. Much easier to get in and out of, and the tickets are like $15-20, and on Saturdays after the games they do fireworks which the kids love. Much less stressful with young kids (especially our 2 soon to be 3 year old, who does not sit still for these).

I always enjoy going to the minor league games for those reasons...   Trenton Thunder used to have $12 tickets that included a hotdog and a soda, was an easy win for a day out when the kids were younger.  Plus all the fun things they do between innings, they even had a golden retriever who would go out and fetch the bat.   When I coached little league we would always do a team trip to a game, we would rent out a picnic area that included a buffet and soft drinks parents and players never were disappointed.

When I first heard this during the Jays broadcast I didn't believe it happened like Buck was saying, he was thrown out for a fan saying something.

Then I watched the video and LOL 

Like I understand a league protecting its refs, the NFL does it the NBA, but man a Ump could literally shoot a 3 year old in the face on third base and the MLB wouldn't even acknowledge it. 

I went to tons of Triple- A games when I was a kid. SWB Red Barons were the Phillies affiliate at the time. Saw many future major leaguers and Strawberry a few times on rehab assignment. He signed a few things for me. I went to a few Binghamton Mets games and twice up to Syracuse when they were the Blue Jays affiliate. The Sky Chiefs. 

The main thing I appreciate about minor league/frontier league games besides the cost is it's much less stressful in terms of watching the actual game. If I'm at a Yankee game, I feel compelled to watch every single second so I don't miss anything, a) because they're my team, and b) because I'm paying like $400 bucks for this entire day (tickets, parking, gas, tolls, concessions). But if I'm at Boulders game, it's much more relaxed, casual, and flexible. Can walk around more with the kids, no worry about hurrying back to our seats, don't really care if I miss half an inning. Overall just much more relaxed environment.