SportsWrath

A modest look at former Giants OL playing elsewhere now

mastershake

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

He was able to take the modest contract since he was still getting a payday from us. 

To be fair too he wasn't playing well here. 

Add another player who got better once leaving the team. 

His PFF in his last year with us in 2020 was 65.9, which is about 20 points higher than our current guards, on average, and would make him a middle of the road starting guard in the league.

He wasn't getting a bigger contract than that

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

His PFF in his last year with us in 2020 was 65.9, which is about 20 points higher than our current guards, on average, and would make him a middle of the road starting guard in the league.

He wasn't getting a bigger contract than that

I'm not saying he wasn't average, just that he wasn't worth what he would of made with the Giants in his last year of his contract 2021.

If anything they should of traded him instead of cutting him outright but I doubt any team was willing to take his 10+ million dollar cap hit in 2021, since we were never going to resign him. 

He signed a better deal with the Ravens whole still getting paid by the Giants dead cap, and I believe his contract has those voidable years so hell still get a nice payday when the Ravens let him walk at years end.  

Also let's not act like going from a trash franchise like the Giants to the Ravens wasn't a factor. 

6 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

I'm not saying he wasn't average, just that he wasn't worth what he would of made with the Giants in his last year of his contract 2021.

If anything they should of traded him instead of cutting him outright but I doubt any team was willing to take his 10+ million dollar cap hit in 2021, since we were never going to resign him. 

He signed a better deal with the Ravens whole still getting paid by the Giants dead cap, and I believe his contract has those voidable years so hell still get a nice payday when the Ravens let him walk at years end.  

Also let's not act like going from a trash franchise like the Giants to the Ravens wasn't a factor. 

I'm not sure that's how the dead cap works. Dead cap is money already paid and guaranteed. He already had the money from his signing bonus. Dead cap for free agents is just bonus money/guarantees paid up front but for cap purposes split by year over the course of the contract.

The Giants should have found a way to extend him, and restructure his contract. They failed. That was my main issue.

6 hours ago, mastershake said:

I'm not sure that's how the dead cap works. Dead cap is money already paid and guaranteed. He already had the money from his signing bonus. Dead cap for free agents is just bonus money/guarantees paid up front but for cap purposes split by year over the course of the contract.

The Giants should have found a way to extend him, and restructure his contract. They failed. That was my main issue.

Dead cap gets accelerated to whatever year the guy leaves the team typically. 

It's why it's dead cap, the team has to pay and keep the money in limbo (escrow I believe pundits are calling it now) but it's either dolled out the years he's on the team or paid to him in full if they are cut with years remaining.

From my understanding. 

Either way I don't fully disagree they should of tried to add two years to spread out the signing bonus and push the dead cap down the road.

However it takes two things. 

1) The Giants willing to pay more money.

2) Zeitler actually wanting to stay with the Giants and taking a pay cut in 2021. 

I'm willing to bet #2 was/would of been  the biggest obstacle than #1.