SportsWrath

Giants Practice

Iceman_NYG

Connor Hughes
@Connor_J_Hughes
First day of #Giants - #Lions joint practices are over. Couple quick thoughts 

- It was a bad day for the offense. Specifically Daniel Jones. It might have been the worst he's been all camp. In the five full-field, 11-on-11 drills Jones was 5 of 12 passing with a sack. There was a play he rolled out right and just threw a prayer up for Parris Campbell that C.J. Gardner Johnson should have picked off. It wasn't good. 

- Here's the thing about Jones' day, assuming you're looking for a silver lining: The guys were there. It was the quarterback who was off. This wasn't like he was running for his life or taking coverage sack after coverage sack, as usually happens when truly overmatched. Jones' receivers were open. He simply missed the throws because he was wildly erratic. Even the completions looks challenging. Another silver lining; That's very uncommon for Jones this summer. I think this likely had to do with the fact this was the first different defense he's since since that playoff-eliminating loss to the Eagles. There were two bad misses to Slayton (both would-be first downs) and one to Waller (long down sideline). Jones connects there (as he has all camp) and it's a completely different day. 

- The two sides ended practice with a red zone drill. The series started at the 15-ish yard line (end zone vantage point made specifics hard) and were tasked with scoring. It did not go well for the Giants offense. Jones missed Parris Campbell, ran for no gain, then completed one short to Campbell. The offense stayed on the field for two more plays. The last one (a Jones keeper) might have scored, but the Lions' defense celebrated. Saquon Barkley DID NOT take place in this drill for the Giants. This was for load management reasons, I'm told. He wasn't hurt. 

- One player I don't think gets enough credit is Parris Campbell. Mentioned him a couple weeks ago. Deserves more praise. He jumps out each time I'm at a Giants practice.

- Most of my day was spent watching the Giants offense against the Lions defense. The few times I glanced over at the reverse .. it wasn't pretty. The Lions have so many weapons this year. Goff had his pick whenever he dropped back to throw. Impressive to see. 

- Some 1-on-1 highlights: Jalin Hyatt made a nice move to get open, but after catching the ball, had it punched out by Starling Thomas. Sterling Shepard ran the most ridiculous route that created zero separation. Tremendous coverage there from Cam Sutton. Sadly, the OL vs DL occurred on the far field away from media. No observations there.  

- This is a first: No fights. Seriously. I've never covered a joint practice without at least one big brawl. There were a couple pushes, but that was it. This was clearly stressed by both Daboll & Dan Campbell.