SportsWrath

Seph Fixes the Giants, 2023 Edition, Part Two

Sephiroth

BECAUSE YOU DEMANDED IT!   

Seph Fixes the Giants, Part Two: Free Agent Bugaloo

Now that we’ve signed our own guys and restructured some other players, we’re looking at having 25 million in cap space to play around with.  How are we going to spend that money? There's like a million holes to fill and we only have 25 mil. Well, never fear Sportswrathians, I have the answer to this problem as well. All contracts (well, except Pugh's) are taken from Spotrac's estimated annual value, or at least in that ball park. 

G Ben Powers - 4 years, 36 million, 9 million cap hit. Not the greatest run blocker in the world but he’s done very well in pass protection these past few seasons.  I’m not breaking the bank for him (if I was going to do that I’d have gone after Nate Davis) but he’s a huge upgrade over what we’ve got, and we still need tons of interior line help as we essentially have no NFL-caliber players there right now. 

LB Trumaine Edmunds - 4 years, 44 million, 11 million cap hit.  Edmunds is a dynamic linebacker who’s still young, and we haven’t had a QB of the defense since Antonio Pierce. I know people are excited about some of the top draft prospects but they all look like garbage to me on tape for the most part. Edmunds nails down the position and keeps our defense respectable for the next four years. 

G Justin Pugh - 1 year, 2.5 mil. - We need insurance at both the guard and tackle positions, and Pugh gives you that. He’s too old and beaten up to be an every-down player anymore (he wasn’t really that in his prime, if we’re being honest) but you can plug him in for 2-3 games and he won’t hurt you.  He's expressed an interest in returning to the team that drafted him and I think he'd come back on a cheap deal. 

RB D’onta Foreman - 3 years, 10 million, 2 million cap hit.  He’s not Saquon but if you need a yard…  he’ll get you three.  If you need 5 yards… he’ll get you three.  A one cut and go kind of guy, those days of watching our backs dance in the backfield for a two yard loss will be over. 

Additionally, I’m trading for WR Terrace Marshall from the Panthers for a conditional 5th round pick that could become a 4th.  He carries just over a 1 million cap hit on the season. Marshall started to come alive over the  second half of last year;  he’s a good talent, but has had the misfortune of having Ben McAdoo as his OC and Some Other Guy as his QB. Put him in the right system and I still think he can be an above-average X wideout. 

That's it for this week.  So far we've kept our QB but dropped our RB... but replaced him with a decent-to-good runner in Foreman, gained an actual NFL-caliber MLB in Edmunds, and given our QB a better line in front of him with Powers.  In Part 3, I'll be mocking some players in the draft to us way too early, cut off the Defiler's hand with a lightsaber, and blow up a small moon space station with the help of a bunch of little Teddy Bears. 

We're not paying that much for a guard.

And if replace Saquon, you can't fork out 3 plus on a free. Just draft a rb at that point.

Pugh will get better offers than that.

Totally on board with Edmunds though. He left arm is an upgrade on jaylen smith.

10 minutes ago, The P said:

I think this is both a good free agency and good draft for ILB. 

I've had a look at the guys everyone is raving about and... they're OK?  Maybe? I haven't done a deep dive but I haven't come away impressed in the small amount I've seen either.  Some guys like Noah Sewell look downright bad. 

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

BECAUSE YOU DEMANDED IT!   

Seph Fixes the Giants, Part Two: Free Agent Bugaloo

Now that we’ve signed our own guys and restructured some other players, we’re looking at having 25 million in cap space to play around with.  How are we going to spend that money? There's like a million holes to fill and we only have 25 mil. Well, never fear Sportswrathians, I have the answer to this problem as well. All contracts (well, except Pugh's) are taken from Spotrac's estimated annual value, or at least in that ball park. 

G Ben Powers - 4 years, 36 million, 9 million cap hit. Not the greatest run blocker in the world but he’s done very well in pass protection these past few seasons.  I’m not breaking the bank for him (if I was going to do that I’d have gone after Nate Davis) but he’s a huge upgrade over what we’ve got, and we still need tons of interior line help as we essentially have no NFL-caliber players there right now. 

LB Trumaine Edmunds - 4 years, 44 million, 11 million cap hit.  Edmunds is a dynamic linebacker who’s still young, and we haven’t had a QB of the defense since Antonio Pierce. I know people are excited about some of the top draft prospects but they all look like garbage to me on tape for the most part. Edmunds nails down the position and keeps our defense respectable for the next four years. 

G Justin Pugh - 1 year, 2.5 mil. - We need insurance at both the guard and tackle positions, and Pugh gives you that. He’s too old and beaten up to be an every-down player anymore (he wasn’t really that in his prime, if we’re being honest) but you can plug him in for 2-3 games and he won’t hurt you.  He's expressed an interest in returning to the team that drafted him and I think he'd come back on a cheap deal. 

RB D’onta Foreman - 3 years, 10 million, 2 million cap hit.  He’s not Saquon but if you need a yard…  he’ll get you three.  If you need 5 yards… he’ll get you three.  A one cut and go kind of guy, those days of watching our backs dance in the backfield for a two yard loss will be over. 

Additionally, I’m trading for WR Terrace Marshall from the Panthers for a conditional 5th round pick that could become a 4th.  He carries just over a 1 million cap hit on the season. Marshall started to come alive over the  second half of last year;  he’s a good talent, but has had the misfortune of having Ben McAdoo as his OC and Some Other Guy as his QB. Put him in the right system and I still think he can be an above-average X wideout. 

That's it for this week.  So far we've kept our QB but dropped our RB... but replaced him with a decent-to-good runner in Foreman, gained an actual NFL-caliber MLB in Edmunds, and given our QB a better line in front of him with Powers.  In Part 3, I'll be mocking some players in the draft to us way too early, cut off the Defiler's hand with a lightsaber, and blow up a small moon space station with the help of a bunch of little Teddy Bears. 

I resemble this.

You don't understand the POWAH!!! OF THE DARKSIDE!!!

Buh bye Daniel Jones, keep Saquon.

Now I will have Nas wrestle some of Gorilla's she/he or they/them with the new nomenclature.  Just for badmouthing Jones