SportsWrath

Seph Fixes the Giants, 2023 Edition, Part One

Sephiroth

Seph Fixes the Giants, Part One

In our continuing series, we once again hear from Seph about the proper way to fix the Giants moving forward.  As always, we know that listening to Seph produces more Pro-Bowlers and All-Pros than your average bear, so we can take this advice to the bank

Part One:  Who to Keep, Who to Cut:

Year one of the rebuild went better than I think any of us could have expected, but also as expected, there is still much work to be done.  This roster is terrible with lots of bloated contracts for underproducing, Gettleman-era losers, and there’s some decent players set to hit the market that we may want to retain.  First, the cuts… instead of writing all of the cuts down, please have a look at this screenshot from Spotrac:

Giants-Cap.png

I can’t find a reason to keep many of these guys.  I could possibly be talked into Wyatt Davis but the fact that he didn’t take the field this season tells me that he’s probably a bust.  None of the rest of those guys brings anything to the table that a low-cost free agent, rookie or otherwise, won’t get you at a reduced price.  

Dropping these guys brings us to just shy of 60 million dollars in salary cap space for the offseason. 

So, which of our guys should we spend the money on?  I’ll go through my picks in order: 

Daniel Jones - 4 years, 140 million. 35 million cap hit for 2023  I think I’m pulling the trigger on this.  Jones has shown enough that the team can be confident moving forward with him.  Only one good offensive lineman this season, and a running back that was good for half a season, and Jones still did enough to get the team into the playoffs by essentially putting them on his back.  I’d work in a third-year out, but I have confidence in Jones as the QB of the future. 

Nick Gates - 1 year, 3.5 million.  Gates came back from his injury and played pretty well.  This guy is one tough SOB and obviously loves football and this team.  With the ability to play anywhere along the line if healthy, I’d bring him back on a one-year “prove it” deal to see how much he’s got left in the tank. 

Matt Brieda - 1 year, 1.5 million.  He’s fine in spot duty. 

Fabian Moreau - 2 years, 5 million, 2.5 million cap hit in 2023.  I think he did really well in spot duty this year, especially considering that we basically pulled him off the street once Aaron Robinson went down.  He’s not a starting corner, but he’s the kind of guy that you can plug in for a few games and he doesn’t embarrass you… plus the coaching staff knows his strengths and can play to them.  Another guy who’s fine. 

Julian Love - 3 years, 21 million, 7.5 million hit in 2023.  I think Love is another guy that you can plug and play if necessary, or keep in the game as a decent starter.  People keep saying that the league will be clamoring for him but outside of New York I don’t see it. I think 7-8 mil a year is perfect for a guy like that. 

EDIT: I'm also bringing back Richie James on a one year, 2-million deal.  Wan'Dale is not going to be ready and James was fine.

“No Saquon!?!?!”  My answer is No… no Saquon.  I love the kid, I love his grit and determination… but paying 12 million per season to a running back is something you do when you’re a year away from a Super Bowl. This team is not a year away, and as great as he’s been… he’s also been too injured, too inconsistent, and has really only had two good seasons out of five. His speed is not what it used to be and his vision is still middling.  There are other ways to plug this hole which we'll get to in upcoming segments (which I know you're all waiting for). 

Additionally, I’m extending Leonard Williams for two years and 20 million dollars, and restructuring what we’re set to pay him this year.  This will bring his current deal to a 3 year, 52 million dollar contract with a 17 million cap hit this year, freeing up another 15 million dollars for the offseason. 

With all these moves, Seph has left us with a good core of players, and 25 million in cap space to play around with in free agency.  In my next installment, I’ll go over what free agents we should look at from other teams. If the Giants don’t listen to me, they are dumb. 

Why would you cut Davidson?    He will be in year 2 of his rookie deal. 

He’s so cheap he probably won’t even account towards the cap unless he makes the final 53. 

literally no reason to cut him unless he doesn’t make the final roster, and if he doesn’t he should go to the practice squad.

and you don’t have to cut Shepard, he’s already off the team  

Yeah...keep Davidson.  Shep has savings of $0..so I think it's more of a don't resign than it is a cut.

I also think Holmes is reworkable as opposed to a cut.  He is decent depth I think.  Not necessarily a starter.

I also think we need to work Dex into the mix despite it not being "his" offseason.  He has far exceeded his rookie deal and if nyone has earned an early extension, it is him.

I speculated earlier than Barkley may be the odd man out and it sucks that that might be the right move.

Sterling Shepard comes back on at best a 2 year, 5 million. No need to release 2 wide receivers, Golladay is enough.

Sorry, Nick Gates is a great story but not worth the money you want to give him.

Fabian Moreau got worse as the season went on and you want to extend him. No thanks.

I don't think Love should be prioritized over Saquon. This team still needs playmakers, Saquon is upper level talent. I think he's getting franchised anyway.

Off your cut list, I'd keep Elerson Smith/Shepard and Gary Brightwell. The rest can go.

52 minutes ago, boohyah said:

Sterling Shepard comes back on at best a 2 year, 5 million. No need to release 2 wide receivers, Golladay is enough.

Sorry, Nick Gates is a great story but not worth the money you want to give him.

Fabian Moreau got worse as the season went on and you want to extend him. No thanks.

I don't think Love should be prioritized over Saquon. This team still needs playmakers, Saquon is upper level talent. I think he's getting franchised anyway.

Off your cut list, I'd keep Elerson Smith/Shepard and Gary Brightwell. The rest can go.

Shep got hurt walking. Literally walking. He's done.

The other guys outside of Love are about as cheap as you're going to get for those positions.

3 hours ago, Nas said:

Barkley is top talent at his position with a terrible OL blocking for him.   If the price is right, you keep him.

2 hours ago, BronxRik said:

image.gif

Saquon is the man, and we should keep him.

Where are the points coming from with no Barkley :laugh:

For only 10 easy payments of 19.99 you too can fix your franchise! 

This 21 step program will not only pull your poverty franchise out of Cleveland Brown territory, if you call now we will throw in an extra 5 steps that will have you picking the next Bill Walsh as your head coach. 

Call 1-FIX-DAT-SHIT 

4 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

For only 10 easy payments of 19.99 you too can fix your franchise! 

This 21 step program will not only pull your poverty franchise out of Cleveland Brown territory, if you call now we will throw in an extra 5 steps that will have you picking the next Bill Walsh as your head coach. 

Call 1-FIX-DAT-SHIT 

:laugh::LMAO::laugh: