SportsWrath

Seph's Midseason +1 report.

Sephiroth

Whelp, in this weird COVID season, nothing is certain... but I feel like there are a few things we can ascertain so far now that we've gotten a decent sample size of this team, and a few things we can look to the future towards. 

I think we have the right coaching staff. I know the record sucks but there was very little offseason evaluation, and they do look better each week. There is hardly ever a time where I say "why the fuck did they run that?" or that there's a 4O yard TD with three defenders all pointing fingers at each other. They're doing the best with what they've got. 

The O-line is finally starting to gel. Thomas had his second good game in a row, Peart looks serviceable at least, and the run game is starting to click. Up the middle runs are being blocked really well by the interior guys, finally. Gallman has run hard and even Alfred Morris is starting to look decent. Limieux has been an upgrade over Hernandez so far; I wouldn't take him out. 

Daniel Jones needs to go out and start winning some games. Every time the game has been on the line this year he's failed to deliver. Almost had another turnover in a big spot today and lost the ball on a run too. He doesn't seem to be progressing. He's got seven more games to answer the bell. 

The defense has been exceptional, especially considering what we've had to work with. I never thought I'd say this but I think we need to keep both Leonard Williams and Dalvin Tomlinson. They really make this whole thing go around and play far beyond their stats. I think we should try to keep Logan Ryan around too; he's been a good addition. Blake Martinez is making me shut up. 

If the offseason were today, I'd make a run at Allen Robinson or Chris Godwin, Joe Thuney or Shaq Mason, Joey Bosa, or one of the top Tackles. I think maybe you try to get 1-2 of those guys and fill the rest of your holes in the draft. If Jones isn't the guy this obviously gets a lot more complicated. 

17 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Whelp, in this weird COVID season, nothing is certain... but I feel like there are a few things we can ascertain so far now that we've gotten a decent sample size of this team, and a few things we can look to the future towards. 

I think we have the right coaching staff. I know the record sucks but there was very little offseason evaluation, and they do look better each week. There is hardly ever a time where I say "why the fuck did they run that?" or that there's a 4O yard TD with three defenders all pointing fingers at each other. They're doing the best with what they've got. 

The O-line is finally starting to gel. Thomas had his second good game in a row, Peart looks serviceable at least, and the run game is starting to click. Up the middle runs are being blocked really well by the interior guys, finally. Gallman has run hard and even Alfred Morris is starting to look decent. Limieux has been an upgrade over Hernandez so far; I wouldn't take him out. 

Daniel Jones needs to go out and start winning some games. Every time the game has been on the line this year he's failed to deliver. Almost had another turnover in a big spot today and lost the ball on a run too. He doesn't seem to be progressing. He's got seven more games to answer the bell. 

The defense has been exceptional, especially considering what we've had to work with. I never thought I'd say this but I think we need to keep both Leonard Williams and Dalvin Tomlinson. They really make this whole thing go around and play far beyond their stats. I think we should try to keep Logan Ryan around too; he's been a good addition. Blake Martinez is making me shut up. 

If the offseason were today, I'd make a run at Allen Robinson or Chris Godwin, Joe Thuney or Shaq Mason, Joey Bosa, or one of the top Tackles. I think maybe you try to get 1-2 of those guys and fill the rest of your holes in the draft. If Jones isn't the guy this obviously gets a lot more complicated. 

I largely agree.

I still believe in Jones.   He does have the physical tools.   He looks like what most highly talented 2nd year QBs look like.  He is maddening, but I don't think you have a mature QB until year 4.   There are obviously exceptions to this (KC, Baltimore, AZ), but they are still exceptions.

Joe Judge is well-prepared, hard working, and smart.   His team reflects those first two attributes....they need to nail down the "smart" part.   They are just in many case too green, or just not talented enough, to win close games.   But they keep showing improvement.

I actually forgot yesterday was Sunday... and forgot there was even a game... I don't know what to blame it on but this Covid life got me all mixed up... I work 2 jobs from home so Saturdays and Sundays don't mean much.

From what I've read is that our D is in the top 6.... this is really great given the roster.    With respect to DJ, we're stuck with him unless we land the #1 spot in the draft which is very unlikely.    I, too, have not given up on him... my fear is that he continues to turn the ball over which will shorten my life... that was my biggest knock against Eli... and I sure as hell don't want that continue here.    

I fully agree we have the right coaching.  A+ for those guys.  

Patience

Don't think about the last 10 years and focus on the last 2 and the 1 we are in the process of finishing.  Whatever happened before Judge does not matter.  Whatever happened before Gettleman does not matter.

On 11/15/2020 at 6:19 AM, Tempest said:

Patience

Don't think about the last 10 years and focus on the last 2 and the 1 we are in the process of finishing.  Whatever happened before Judge does not matter.  Whatever happened before Gettleman does not matter.

I understand the DJ criticism and boneheaded errors - but this is a kid who is learning a totally different offensive system thats damn complicated in only his second year - its back to the drawing board for him and that too behind an Offensive Line thats downright offensive minus Barkley and minus a legit No.1 WR and plus a Drop and INT creator in Engram. Engram makes that catch and we are division leaders looking at a division title. Every single game the last 4-5 weeks we have hung in there and been competitive - just not able to close it out and get over the hump. Maybe that starts to change. I think every game from here on is a possible W. From the way this team in competing - the division title is in our grasp and Im saying it NOW - the Giants ARE the best team in the NFC East right now