SportsWrath

Wes Welker

Nas

Ok... I just need to get this out... What kind of fucking name is Wes???? :angry:

:Sigh:

Carry On!!

English in origin. Usually a last name, but became a first name and was quite common in the late 1800's to mid 1900's. I have an uncle named Wesley (may he rest in peace) and a great grandfather who was named Wesley. The nickname "Wes" was common among people named Wesley.

It became popular (especially as a middle name) after an American revival movement of the 1700's led by two brothers from London named John and Charles Wesley of the Methodist denomination. Middle names were seldom given to children in the 1700's and by the 1800's, it became common to put an initial for a middle name as sort of a unique way to distinguish between people with the same name. By mid-late 1800's, a complete middle name came into common use....usually tied to a family ancestor or in the case of Wesley, a way to identify with the religious movement led by the Wesley brothers. Most families who have named their child "Wesley" or given it to them as a middle name tend to be quite religious.

English in origin. Usually a last name, but became a first name and was quite common in the late 1800's to mid 1900's. I have an uncle named Wesley (may he rest in peace) and a great grandfather who was named Wesley. The nickname "Wes" was common among people named Wesley.

It became popular (especially as a middle name) after an American revival movement of the 1700's led by two brothers from London named John and Charles Wesley of the Methodist denomination. Middle names were seldom given to children in the 1700's and by the 1800's, it became common to put an initial for a middle name as sort of a unique way to distinguish between people with the same name. By mid-late 1800's, a complete middle name came into common use....usually tied to a family ancestor or in the case of Wesley, a way to identify with the religious movement led by the Wesley brothers. Most families who have named their child "Wesley" or given it to them as a middle name tend to be quite religious.

Wesly sounds manly kindda... Wes sounds Wussy.... Thanks for the history lesson but I don't associate with anyone named Wes or Pablo... the fuck is wrong with people :rules:

Wesly sounds manly kindda... Wes sounds Wussy.... Thanks for the history lesson but I don't associate with anyone named Wes or Pablo... the fuck is wrong with people :rules:

Ha, ha...my great grandfather named Wesley was believed by my father and his brothers and sisters that his name was "Westly". He was a blacksmith and a big rugged guy, so they just assumed it was Westly like the bad asses that spent time in the wild, wild west. Even after I produced his marriage record and his death certificate that spelled it "Wesley", they didn't buy it. Since my family (on my father's side) is not all that into religious history, they were clueless about Wesley being a reference to the Wesley brothers.

On the other hand, my uncle (mother's side of the family) spelled it Wesley and knew the origin of the name.