SportsWrath

M. Strahan andLaVar Arrington believe we can win it all now

NeMesiS

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Giants | New additions excited about upcoming season

Tue, 9 May 2006 14:02:24 -0700

Tom Canavan, of the Associated Press, reports New York Giants LB LaVar Arrington and CB Sam Madison are excited about the team's chances to make it to the Super Bowl in 2006 after the team made significant upgrades to a roster that had already won the NFC East in 2005. The two players, who should have key roles with the Giants in 2006, have high standards for the team. "I don't want to win five or six years from now," Arrington said. "I think that's the name of the game, to win and win now."

Giants.com

Strahan Sees Potential in Defense

Veteran Pro Bowler sees greatness in re-vamped defense.

By Michael Eisen, Giants.com

Read this story from your BlackBerry, phone or other wireless device at http://giants.com/wireless

May 9, 2006

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. –Michael Strahan has watched with increasing excitement this offseason as the Giants have strengthened a defense that ranked 24th in yards allowed in 2005. Though it’s far too early to say where this unit will rank among the many defenses Strahan has played on, the seven-time Pro Bowler is not shy about making a prediction.

“If we can play the way everybody is capable of playing on this defense, it’s lights out,” Strahan said today. “We have four or five Pro Bowlers on defense now. We’ve never had that.”

“If we can play the way everybody is capable of playing on this defense, it’s lights out.”

- DE Michael Strahan

Defensive ends Strahan and Osi Umenyiora, who combined for a league-leading 26 sacks, both played in last season’s Pro Bowl. Antonio Pierce was a first alternate and many Giants consider him the NFL’s best middle linebacker. The offseason acquisitions include cornerback Sam Madison (a four-time Pro Bowler) and linebacker LaVar Arrington (three times), as well as safety Will Demps, cornerback R.W. McQuarters and linebacker Brandon Short, plus draft choices Mathias Kiwanuka, Gerris Wilkinson and Barry Cofield.

Potential can be a dirty word in the NFL, but Strahan believes if everything comes together, this could become the finest defense he’s played on in a career that began in 1993.

“We’ve had some great defenses,” Strahan said. “It’s going to be hard – we have to show it before I’ll say that. But potentially this could be the best, when you look at what guys have accomplished.

“You can’t get excited and enamored by the potential. You have to make that actually produce something. My mindset now is I’m excited about the potential, but I don’t just rely on potential to carry us through. Actions are going to carry us through.”

Strahan, who is ninth on the NFL career list with 129.5 sacks, is particularly excited about playing with Arrington, who signed with the Giants last month as a free agent after six seasons with the Washington Redskins. Arrington will play the strong side because, as both he and his close friend Pierce pointed out, that places him near the line and closer to the quarterback.

“It’s huge,” Strahan said of Arrington’s arrival. “It’s the best pickup we’ve had since – man, that’s a huge pickup for us. I can’t even imagine how big of an impact that could have. I’ve always loved the way LaVar played. I played against him and I played with him in the Pro Bowl. I’m sure he is going to be very motivated to play here like he’s never played before. And if he does that, he’s the best linebacker in the league.”

Opposing offenses had their hands full last season trying to block Strahan and Umenyiora (who led the NFC with 14.5 sacks). Now Arrington, improving second-year end Justin Tuck and Kiwanuka have been added to the mix. It will be interesting to see which of those pass rushers attracts the most double teams.

“Having another pass rusher is going to be incredible,” Strahan said. “Osi and I run all day long. We do our best, but it’s good to know we have somebody who can come in like Tuck and now to have another guy that can come in – we have two ends that can back both of us up. You don’t get that rotation in this league very often. So we better enjoy it while we have it.

“With LaVar and Antonio and Brandon Short and Sam Madison and all the DBs we have now (providing) tight coverage, it’s going to be tough. But we can’t lose sight and get excited about the potential. We have to fulfill it.”

Strahan is eager to get a look at Kiwanuka, who had 37.5 sacks in four seasons at Boston College. This is the second time since Strahan’s arrival that the Giants used their first-round draft choice on a defensive end. The first was in 1996, when they chose Cedric Jones.

Umenyiora was a second-round selection in 2003 and in part because of Strahan’s guidance and tutelage, has developed into one of the league’s very best ends. Now Strahan, Umenyiora and Tuck can all help Kiwanuka.

“Early in my career if they would have drafted a young guy like that I would have been worried,” Strahan said. “It would have been like, ‘Oh my.’ But now it’s good, because I’m not playing forever.

“I just hope he comes in with the right attitude and he can learn from me and learn from Osi, learn from Tuck. They’re one step ahead of him and they’re going to be able to teach him a lot and in some ways relate to him better than I can. It’s going to be important if he comes in willing to work, because I don’t know a young guy in the locker room that we don’t push to make better. If you’re not willing to come in to do whatever it takes to make this team the best, then you’re in the wrong situation. But I think he’s that type of player and that’s why we drafted him.”

In part because of the talented players he is surrounded by, Strahan at age 34 remains enthusiastic and excited as he prepares for his 14th season.

“I am looking forward to year 14 without a doubt – my body is aching for another beating,” he said. “Seriously, I’m excited, man, I’m excited. I’m youthful because I’m around youth. And if I don’t play, it means I’m not around to clown on the younger guys.

“I want to watch guys work in the offseason and to see how we come together in the mini-camp and training camp and how hard we’re willing to work and our attitude. That is going to be the biggest thing for us.”

:rock: :worshippy:

Within the next three years will be our greatest chance. It could be even longer but right now is the time for this team. If Eli has a Carson Palmer like year with this defense which stays healthy, this is a Super Bowl team.

Funny Pierce said the same thing before the off-season saying we were a couple of players away. We got em.

Within the next three years will be our greatest chance. It could be even longer but right now is the time for this team. If Eli has a Carson Palmer like year with this defense which stays healthy, this is a Super Bowl team.

Funny Pierce said the same thing before the off-season saying we were a couple of players away. We got em.

:rock:

Guest nosebleed
Jonas Seawright holds the key to our destiny.

All joking aside, the key to the season is square on the tiny shoulders of Goober Manning. With all the talent on offense, Tiki one year older, and all the potential talent on defense, the question will be, can the weak armed hick throw a football??? All these free agent signings over the past two seasons rest on the unproven quarterback. It would be a damn shame for him to fail. Putting numbers on the stat sheet seems to be a Manning trait, not performing in the big game, this dates back to college days as well.

This is no joking matter.

All joking aside, the key to the season is square on the tiny shoulders of Goober Manning. With all the talent on offense, Tiki one year older, and all the potential talent on defense, the question will be, can the weak armed hick throw a football??? All these free agent signings over the past two seasons rest on the unproven quarterback. It would be a damn shame for him to fail. Putting numbers on the stat sheet seems to be a Manning trait, not performing in the big game, this dates back to college days as well.

Oh my God...You said we have, (Gulp) potential. This is a Kodak moment. :cwy:

I agree with some of what you said, I'll take it.